2010 -- VONATs -- Class Entry Discussion

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

85Edinger
Approved Member

Re: 2010 -- VONATs -- Class Entry Discussion

Post by 85Edinger »

I'd say let the ones that meet Classic rules race in Classic class and put the upgraded ones in 2wd. Maybe you could have a class for hopped up short-arm 6 gears that can't go in Classic class but are still short-arm 6 gears(like the Blinkinger), but it's really not necessary. I see no need for a re-re specific class.

On an unrelated note, what class does my Traxxas Hawk 2 go in, heavy metal or 2wd ST? It came from the factory with a high-mounted body, like the Stampede. It also has buggy arms, and direct steering, a big disadvantage in 2wd ST. IMO, it's more of a monster truck than the MRT, but I'd like to get some other opinions.
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

The rc10s were put in Classic bc there were a small group of guys that wanted a truer to stock class. I knew there wouldn't be enough for a "True Vintage" class so I put them in Classic and kept them to old hard tires to even them out with Tamiyas on new tires. Now with the rere out I feel like maybe enough people want to run them that they could have their own class. I have the JC tires so I'll check them out but even if we keep them to the PL tire and only currently available parts they would be better stacked against themselves. Sort of like a Classic.2. Maybe they run in Classic but in their own class sort of like how Heavy Metal is run.

Traxxas Hawk 2 would go in Stadium Truck. It's totally a ST style suspension and it came with and runs ST tires. The tub chassis nominally different than a ST chassis, it's closer to the Ultra 10t than it is to the King Cab. I would consider the King Cab and MT4 the boundary line for HM.

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

I think I get what you're saying about people wanting to run upgraded re-re's. I don't quite understand why there would be a re-re specific class. I think the class you're describing is a good idea as long as original cars can run it too.
You do realize when I said "ST" I meant "stadium truck", not "semi truck", right?
Edit: You didn't, did you? Sorry, I should have been more specific. I had no idea there was a semi class! :lol:
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

ca-rj
Approved Member

Post by ca-rj »

For an RC10 to be "Classic Class" legal, does it have to be a 6 gear, short arm? The Classic rules also state the the motor is a "handout RS-540". In another build thread I saw that a Tamiya Sport Tuned was used. Is this the only motor allowed? Also, the way the rules read, the tires/wheels are open, so JC should be legal. Perhaps some more detail needs to be added?
RC10 Short Arm | Novak Tempest ESC | Tamiya Torque Tuned 25T | Savox 1258 | Stealth Trans w/ Exotek Slipper Eliminator (geared 24/81)
RC10B3 | HW Just Stock Club Spec | Reedy 13.5 | Savox 1258

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

Tires/wheels are open only for non-race grades, like the Tamiyas. And yes, the rules are unspecifc and should be updated to avoid confusion.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

ca-rj wrote:For an RC10 to be "Classic Class" legal, does it have to be a 6 gear, short arm?

yes

The Classic rules also state the the motor is a "handout RS-540". In another build thread I saw that a Tamiya Sport Tuned was used. Is this the only motor allowed?

you will run whatever motor erich gets from tamiya. the motor is given to you at the track (handout), that is why the entry fee is higher.

Also, the way the rules read, the tires/wheels are open, so JC should be legal. Perhaps some more detail needs to be added?

as 85edinger pointed out, the tamiya buggies in the classic class are open tire. pro buggies (short arm rc10, jrx2, ultima) are to be for the most part stock cars on old kit type tires. you also need to remember that the re-release wasn't out last year when the rules were posted. no new prolines for old 3 piece wheels. no modern rubber jconcepts tires/wheels for the rc10 classic kit.

i'm sure erich will be creating a new thread in the regional race/get together forum in the next few weeks, going by past years (end of march, beginning of april). i would personally wait to see what kind rules package he come up with. at that point, any questions or comments would be best suited in that thread.

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

Mr. Reichert,
I believe there was some misunderstanding earlier, I hope you don't mind me asking this again.

Would the Hawk 2 race ST (stadium truck) or heavy metal?

When are the rules coming out for this year? I've begun turning my Goldpan back into a short arm for Classic class and want to be clear on what I can and can't do. It also sounds like there might be some rule changes this year. Some questions I have are:
Can I use re-re tires?
Can I cut the chassis, nose plate, or motor plate?
Can I use an A&L bellcrank?

Thanks again!