2010 -- VONATs -- Class Entry Discussion

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

tecnica2001
Approved Member

2010 -- VONATs -- Class Entry Discussion

Post by tecnica2001 »

I wanted to start a thread for next year's VONATs where we can post and discuss what cars qualify for what class, post release dates and maybe even pictures of the cars in question.

Mods, please move as you deem fit, I wasn't sure as to where to start this thread.

I'll Start:
MRC MT-10m -- this truck was marketed by MRC as an entry level Monster Truck, to compete with the Traxxas Sledgehammer, Tamiya Blackfoot, Kyosho Tracker, and other MT of that era.

But if you look closely, the truck can be converted into a competition level truck.

My question is, if this truck was marketed as a Monster Truck, do you guys think it should qualify as a "Heavy Metal" class entry??

Pics: Thanks Redscampi for the pictures.... :mrgreen:
Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what R/C car you're gonna get next!!!

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Re: 2010 -- VONATs -- Class Entry Discussion

Post by MelvinsArmy »

It definitely looks way more raceable than say a Blackfoot or a Lunchbox. But, I'd say that it would be outclassed in the Stadium Truck class against RC10T's, JrxT's and LXT's.

I'd think a good rule of thumb might be to classify the trucks as they would have been classified in 94. I don't think many drivers would have tried to run their MT-10m in a class full of RC10T's, unless there were no other classes. On the other hand, that MT-10m in the hands of a good driver who knows how to tune his truck well will be a threat to at least half the stadium truck field.

In other words, I really don't know what qualifies for what. :lol:

All I know is keep the converted RC10's out of the heavy metal class, no matter how high their bodies sit.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

MelvinsArmy wrote:All I know is keep the converted RC10's out of the heavy metal class, no matter how high their bodies sit.
x2!!

tecnica2001
Approved Member

Post by tecnica2001 »

Cool, that's where I wanted this thread to go.

Thank you for the responses.... :wink:
Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what R/C car you're gonna get next!!!

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

personally, i think that mrc truck does not belong in the heavy metal class. it's a stadium truck with a jacked up body.

tecnica2001
Approved Member

Post by tecnica2001 »

What about the Traxxas Sledgehammer, I was looking at it, and it has two plates jacking up the chassis, a la Slash, that would be a fun truck to run in Heavy Metal.

The Kyosho Tracker also looks like a nice truck to run in Heavy Metal... :mrgreen:

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

scr8p wrote:personally, i think that mrc truck does not belong in the heavy metal class. it's a stadium truck with a jacked up body.
Yeah, the more I check it out in the body-off pic, I have to agree with you. No way that truck should be running against Lunchboxes, Clods and Blackfeet.

:lol: Blackfeet.

I always thought the Sledgehammer looked like a good truck. Never ran one though, so I can't say for sure. I remember it did borrow a few tricks from the racers at the time. I'd say it's jacked up enough to run in heavy metal instead of ST.

I already bought my Heavy Metal entry for 2010. A Clodzilla 3. :twisted: Real Heavy Metal, none of this baby heavy metal.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i could see the sledgehammer as that was never designed to be a "racer". they wouldn't have put 8 shocks on it, and the motor 4 inches off of the chassis if it was. :wink:

the tracker would probably fly, too. there's alot of them out there that would be legal.

tecnica2001
Approved Member

Post by tecnica2001 »

Here's a Kyosho Tracker from Tamiya Club. It also looks like a capable machine, not up to par, per say, as the MRC, but It would be a worthy contender also... :wink:

Here's a pic of the Kyosho Tracker:

For Full size pictures:
http://tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=63302&id=6167

fatkidracing14

Post by fatkidracing14 »

hey guys what do you think of getting together with mark,eric,john,will, and anyone else that wants to be there and have a vonats meeting and try to clearify the classes better and come up with some stuff for next year i think it would be very helpful just a thought and my thought only
RCHR Waterbury CT. 203-575-9757 WWW.RCHR.BIZ
Team Associated, Losi, jconcepts, Airtronics

fatkidracing14

Post by fatkidracing14 »

there is one thing that i realy want to see for 2010 vonats and thats every car get tech. and the classics and heavy metal classes be stock no mods. ( this is not a dig at you freddy i thought that thing was way cool) but just run them the way they were back in the day, and i dont mean batt. radios and esc i mean shocks tire cutting them in half lol sorry freddy i had to, but just leave the mods. to truck, buggy and 4wd. i think it will put on a better show
RCHR Waterbury CT. 203-575-9757 WWW.RCHR.BIZ
Team Associated, Losi, jconcepts, Airtronics

Dirtdiver
Approved Member

Post by Dirtdiver »

I haven't raced the VONATs before but I agree that some sort of tech or stricter rules are required. It doesn't seem like much fun to be running a real vintage vehicle and get blown away by another vintage vehicle with more modern parts, tires, etc. Perhaps if the event grows and there are more entries, they could hold a "pure stock" vintage class by itself complete with brushed motors?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Dirtdiver wrote:I haven't raced the VONATs before but I agree that some sort of tech or stricter rules are required. It doesn't seem like much fun to be running a real vintage vehicle and get blown away by another vintage vehicle with more modern parts, tires, etc. Perhaps if the event grows and there are more entries, they could hold a "pure stock" vintage class by itself complete with brushed motors?
i had the idea of a pure stock class for this past race. there was only a couple guys interested in it, and that didn't include the guys that own the track and put on the show.

reign79
Approved Member

Post by reign79 »

Great this is how I felt but just kinda kept quite. I showed up with a totally vintage car even paint and stickers and had to compete with brushless/lipo/new shocks and 2.2 wheels. Just not the "vintage" I was hoping for some rule changes would be nice.
Ryan

Dirtdiver
Approved Member

Post by Dirtdiver »

Perhaps there should be some sort of handicap system for the classic and truck class? I'm not sure how you would set the rules but I would hate to see people stop running Lunch Boxes and other retro rides because they are not competitive.