RC10 modern racer build

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

JHarris
Approved Member

Re: RC10 modern racer build

Post by JHarris »

I wanted to update this thread with my most recent changes and testing findings.

The modifications to allow the use of B4 wheels work. There's plenty of ways out there to accomplish the same thing, but this has worked for me with no issues.

I recently ordered a bunch of the Thunder Tiger PD8982 rear wheels and swapped my rear end back to the stock carriers with MIP B2/B3 CVD's and 3/8x3/16 flanged bearings. I find the car works a little better and it keeps it a little more "vintage". I swapped the front end back and used the wide GT axle with B4 front wheels. This setup provides the width necessary, but the driving characteristics are a little funny, especially on corner exit. I asked someone about it and learned that moving the wheel out makes the wheel pivot around the king pin in such a way that it throws everything off. What I found in the driving characteristics supports that theory.

So, I put the front end back to all original with the regular RC10 parts and inline axles. I then ordered the Duratrax front wheels and tried it. The car now drives great!.

If you are absolutely set on running B4 wheels then go with the setup described in this thread or one of the other many variations, but for me the original suspension parts with the Thunder Tiger rear wheels and Duratrax front wheels just works better.

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Interesting findings Jeff... I must admit to wondering if there was any advantage in terms of handling by using the B4 wheels & wider axles. I'm lucky in that a mate gave me a whole bag of old B3 wheels... which is what I run on my RC10 and I must admit that for a old-girl it handles really well.... For the first two meetings this year I have used my mid-motored Losi XXX (CR2) and to be honest it didn't seem any better than the RC10 (maybe it jumps more consistantly?) I certainly don't think I would have done any worse with the older car :mrgreen:

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

I've run mine both ways, with B4 wheels and with the regular suspension and modern versions of the correct wheels. I found that the car worked better with the correct suspension parts and the modern versions of the older wheels.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

I am testing a stock T2 truck against my 10t with the T4 length parts this weekend- I wonder if I will see the same thing? I know that corner speed is usually higher with a "narrower" vehicle, but I have a bunch of off camber downsides at my local track- so I wonder about rolling more-

philk
Location: I prefer Andys to standard arms of rc10-they are easier to clean and are better looking

Post by philk »

There is some really great information in this post. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and time.

allaircooled
Approved Member

Post by allaircooled »

This is a very cool write up! I have had it saved in my favorites for awhile now since I am building a car based on this one. So how do I know what size finishing washers to get from fastener express? They come in #4 #8 #10 #12. I really have no idea and I like the way they look on this car.

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

#4 countersink washers.

Since your also in Florida, come by the Asylum some time and check things out. My vintage stuff is shelved since we are running for TQ Racing now and trying to promote their products, but Ruffy always has his RC10 runners with him. If you're going and let me know I can bring a couple of mine for you to check out too.

davidka
Approved Member

Post by davidka »

Hi Jeff, great thread. In "modernizing" my RC10 with B4 hub parts one big difference I see is that the ball stud locations in the rear hubs are far lower than on the original hubs. Did you adjust for that with the aluminum hubs?

I am going to drill a couple of lower positions in the rear bulkhead to play with.
We are all heading towards old age. Get there slower by bike.

allaircooled
Approved Member

Post by allaircooled »

JHarris wrote:#4 countersink washers.

Since your also in Florida, come by the Asylum some time and check things out. My vintage stuff is shelved since we are running for TQ Racing now and trying to promote their products, but Ruffy always has his RC10 runners with him. If you're going and let me know I can bring a couple of mine for you to check out too.
Thanks, I might just have to come out there. I haven't seen a r/c track in years. I never raced when I was younger, just bashed around on the street and dirt lots. Would like to try out some racing sometime. I will let you know when I can make it. What days do you guys go out there?

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Check their schedule calendar, normally we are there for every race they have, and some practice days.

http://thercasylum.com/schedule.html

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

davidka wrote:Hi Jeff, great thread. In "modernizing" my RC10 with B4 hub parts one big difference I see is that the ball stud locations in the rear hubs are far lower than on the original hubs. Did you adjust for that with the aluminum hubs?

I am going to drill a couple of lower positions in the rear bulkhead to play with.

You could use a couple washers under the ball stud to compensate for any reduced height. I never played with it though.

seth556
Approved Member

Post by seth556 »

allaircooled wrote: Thanks, I might just have to come out there. I haven't seen a r/c track in years. I never raced when I was younger, just bashed around on the street and dirt lots. Would like to try out some racing sometime. I will let you know when I can make it. What days do you guys go out there?
I was out there today with Ruffy and I think we're both going to be racing on Saturday. Practice days are good because you can get a nice feel for the track. Plus Ruffy seems to live at the track and is always there to help out with setup, I know he helped a great deal with my car today.

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Thanks Seth, Your car looked quite a bit better as Neil, another guy and I watched, after I redid your rear shocks.
Just one step in the right direction, next test with good tires and we will see what needs to be done from there.

seth556
Approved Member

Post by seth556 »

It certainly drove quite a bit better. I'm going to pick up some hole shots this week to try against the double dee's, they were working so well on my truck today. I looked at the tires I had on there today and they were toast, almost bald in some spots. So better tires and quite a bit more practice and I should be in good shape. Thanks Ruffy!

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

I'm not a fan of the B4 wheels on the older cars. I have the world's front end and the wide axles and I'm about to swap back to standard front axles and then use the Thunder Tiger front wheels or most likely JC Racing front wheels. On the rear I am running the RPM world's rear arms but with the standard wide rear mounts with Losi hubs. The B4 rims on the back make it too narrow. Losi rear rims have a slightly different offset which leaves the back a little bit wider but still well under ROAR limits. Traxxas Bandit rims have the perfect offset. JC Racing also makes a Traxxas rear rim so I can get 5 star rims all the way around. The B4 rims are going in the trash.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store