New Project Works '92

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

ralphee
Approved Member

Re: New Project Works '91

Post by ralphee »

May give her a spin tomorrow Trevor, gotta order some spikes and rims, got spare YZ10 webbed, but dint wanna open them lol, too tight :lol: .
Think ill get a pack peaked ready, and give her a gentle feathering on the asphalt!

lee

59burst
Approved Member

Post by 59burst »

pretty much simple and damn cool 8)

ralphee
Approved Member

Post by ralphee »

Just got back from a quick test run. Whoa, with some matched Orion Vmax 2400mah, and a Trinity Euro Kinwald 11 quint, this girl went like stink, seriously, had to run with my foams on, and i had the slipper locked, but my word, once she wound up :shock: , gearing was 21/85, not sure if that sounds right, maybe a touch over geared, could do with some advice there, but i love this car, huge drifts, very stable, cant wait to get it on some carpet soon!

lee

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Interestingly, the very first time I heard the phrase "go like stink", it was back in the 80's and the subject was RC. I was a total RC n00b back then and was trying in vain to improve my Frog's performance. I wanted to upgrade the tin-can Mabuchi 540 and didn't really know much about all the different motors, so a hobby shop guy convinced me to buy a Tamiya black motor...maybe it was the TechniTuned or the Sport, I can't remember. I asked if it would make my Frog go faster; he replied, "It'll go like stink!".

It never *did* "go like stink", but the suspension definitely stank, no matter what. Glad I sold that Frog. :?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

ralphee
Approved Member

Post by ralphee »

Aww that poor old Frog lol, no love at all! I think it goes a lil quicker than that buddy, but then im a hamfist on the sticks of late, that Frog would still possibly whoop me round a berm or two lol.

lee

aip47-2008
Approved Member

Post by aip47-2008 »

ralphee wrote:Got my Cobra body shell today, just cut it and it fits great, sadly had to put a small couple of holes to clear the front screws, as Ken has the bullets molded in, but there not spaced right, and it fouls something rotten on the builkhead screws, all good with a couple of holes though. Hopefully paint it in the day couple of days!

lee

Is there a link or a method to get a hold of the Cobra body from Ken Reith?? :)

naushad
Approved Member

Post by naushad »

Ken is known as Cobra on this forum and oople... Pm him.

Woulves Baine
Approved Member

Post by Woulves Baine »

Nice builds. I really like that body shell as well. I like the display with the clear body, actually.

flustorm99
Approved Member

Post by flustorm99 »

Hey Ralphee kickass build mate! Only wish i read this thread before i just 'a bunch' of shells and under trays crom TBG. Got a YZ870c (Japanese) style shell ( the one you like..have an original but the paint scheme is crap and from the late 80's) and the shell as you say wouldnt fit properly..didnt fit the front bulkhead properly and the under tray was too small so flared out on the chassis which means you cant get a nice clean finish.

Showed this to TBG who mentioned 'the shrink' issue ( which is dumb if you know about it then add a few mm to allow for shrinkage?...not exactly rocket science) anyway i guess i stupidly bought more wcs shells/undertrays thinking this may be a one off but no...definately goint to chase up 'Cobra'.

What tyres are the dude? Wouldnt mind running my 91' with some of those from time to time...

Really like your paint scheme too...simple yet great choice of green and it works! Like stickboys Malboro YZ10 .

ralphee
Approved Member

Post by ralphee »

Thanks buddy! TBH this ones up for sale, bought and restored it to race, and its too nice to do that, and i don't need a second Yokomo doorstop lol.
Agreed on the TBG gear mate, utter poop and useless, it just don't fit right, and the under trays are laughable!
Foams, there Schumacher Contact, fit right over a buggy rim, just trim the ribs and bond, quick chamfer on the sidewalls, and bam!

lee

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

I'm no fan of the TBG shells-

But has anyone seen one of Cobra's shells :lol: Makes Mr Lexan shells worth a lot more than they were to start with :wink:
100_5175_zps4f915969.jpg

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Interesting that you guys are reporting problems with the TBG products. I have used TBG bodies and undertrays on several YZ10s, an Avante 2011, a Top Force, and some RC10/Ts without any problems. The YZ10 undertrays are slightly short on length, but they do fit.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

stickboy007 wrote:Interesting that you guys are reporting problems with the TBG products. I have used TBG bodies and undertrays on several YZ10s, an Avante 2011, a Top Force, and some RC10/Ts without any problems. The YZ10 undertrays are slightly short on length, but they do fit.
If you have ever had a Mr Lexan shell, or an original you would know why some of us are "picky" since the quality of both was second to none. If all you have used is his, then the point of reference is different :D Most guys don't care either way, a shell is a shell :P

ralphee
Approved Member

Post by ralphee »

Ive had both, I've Mr Lexan on my '94, and its superb compared to an original. TBG are just wrong, just way too small. As for Cobra, least the guy made sure they fit in a decent manner, i know they are soft, but for runners there great.

lee

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

I have two or three original shells and about the same number of TBG shells. Can't say I notice an objectionable difference, although I wouldn't doubt there is one. It certainly serves its purpose and if my memory serves me correct, is the most reasonably priced option if you want a runner body.