Tamiya Juggernaut 3

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Tamiya Juggernaut 3

Post by MelvinsArmy »

I recently picked up a very nice Tamiya Juggernaut 2. The Jugg has always been my favorite monster truck platform. I've owned about 5 Jugg/TXT variations over the years, but haven't had one for quite a while. When this one came up on ebay and had a very good BIN price, I grabbed it. It was barely used, it's body was still in the box in the plastic bags, it had all the gold Tamiya hop up parts and a Super Rooster. When I got it I put the Tamiya F350 body I had left over from when I converted my Hi Lift to a Hilux. I got the truck up and running and it was very nice. Here is how the truck looked after I put my F350 body on it:
Juggernaut2.jpg
I was having trouble getting the four wheel steering to line up correctly. After about a half hour of tinkering with the links and servo, I said f-it I'm gonna build a custom Juggernaut. Again. :twisted: Those who remember me from Clodtalk might remember my old Juggernauts. Stripped down, lowered, GPM chassis, Clod tires, flat black F350 body, etc. I built one and had a blast with it. For reasons I don't remember, I sold it. I missed it so much that I built a second one nearly identical to it. Eventually I sold that one too. Those two trucks were probably my favorite monsters that I've owned. Here is a pic of the second truck, I can't seem to find any pics of the first version which I liked a little better.
DSCN1025.JPG
This new truck will be the third modified Juggernaut I've built, so I'm calling it the Juggernaut 3. Also, I think Tamiya should make a Juggernaut 3 and I'm building this truck the way I'd do it if Tamiya let me design such a truck. I've got most of the parts gathered. Bigjeepz has made me some custom aluminum parts, chassis braces, suspension mounts, a custom 1 sided motor mount, etc. The truck will have TXT links and sway bars. Here are a few of the parts bigjeepz has made for me.
IMG_2658.JPG
IMG_2661.JPG
I don't think I've ever done a build thread before. This truck is taking a little longer to piece together than others I've done. More to come.

Lowgear
Administrator

Re: Tamiya Juggernaut 3

Post by Lowgear »

I can't wait to see how this turns out! I bet it will be pretty awesome. 8)

Maybe while the Clod is "discontinued" they will release another Juggernaut.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

That would be nice!

A little progress. I started working on the front axle. I've converted the shaft to a TXT-1 piece. bigjeepzz made me some aluminum suspension mounts, I put the top pieces on. I made a behind the axle servo mount out of 6061 aluminum sheet. I don't know for sure if it's going to work in that position, but so far it looks like it will. I wanted to use the TTR CVDs I took out of my Clod, but they seem to fit way too tight in the Jugg axles so I'll probably stick with Tamiya parts.

Here is an electronics tray/F350 cab mount that I made out of Kydex.

nvxwax
Approved Member

Post by nvxwax »

MelvinsArmy wrote:
I was having trouble getting the four wheel steering to line up correctly. After about a half hour of tinkering with the links and servo, I said f-it I'm gonna build a custom Juggernaut. Again. :twisted: Those who remember me from Clodtalk might remember my old Juggernauts. Stripped down, lowered, GPM chassis, Clod tires, flat black F350 body, etc. I built one and had a blast with it. For reasons I don't remember, I sold it. I missed it so much that I built a second one nearly identical to it. Eventually I sold that one too. Those two trucks were probably my favorite monsters that I've owned. Here is a pic of the second truck, I can't seem to find any pics of the first version which I liked a little better.
Nice Jugs :lol: that did not sound right :mrgreen:

I have never owned a Jug, But they look very cool, the closest thing i have is a G-Made Clod (Its more aftermarket then Clod :roll: )

Im a sucker for flat black trucks, Do you have any other pics of the black one and how it was built?

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Here's another of the black truck. It was basically just a stripped down Jugg/TXT. It had a GPM chassis, TXT suspension links, AE shocks and a handful of custom made parts. I should have taken more pictures of it.

The new truck will be similar.
Attachments
DSCN1083.JPG

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

This project is taking a lot longer than I thought it would. I had some chassis issues, but I think that might be all worked out now.

Here's some progress. The parts came back from the anodizer. I rebuilt the transmission with a TXT shaft and the single hole motor plate bigjeepzz made me. Installed is a Novak 550 6.5, that ought to provide plenty of punch.
Jugg tranny.jpg
Jugg tranny 2.jpg
Next, I put the wheels together. RC4wd beadlock wheels with custom anodized rings.
Jugg wheel.jpg

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Those look like nice wheels. I was thinking of getting them for a future Clod pulling project.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Finally making some serious progress. The truck is about 90% done now. I need to get some yokes for my drive shafts, some battery cups and some proper shock spacers. Then it will be ready for a test run. I had to make a new servo mount because the other one had clearance issues with the suspension links. I could have made a cf or fiberglass bar like a TTR setup, but I wanted to have aluminum steering links. The new mount is made of Kydex. I also made a rear lockout that I'm pretty happy with. It's in front of the axle and is totally adjustable. I need to get those parts anodized black to match the rest of the truck now. Here are some progress pics.
Jugg black.jpg
Juggernaut servo.jpg
Jugg servo2.jpg
Jugg lockout.jpg

nvxwax
Approved Member

Post by nvxwax »

Looks good Melvin, You are making me want a jug lol. (must resist, i have to many projects)

:mrgreen:

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Scott very nice. Looks outstanding.

Jake

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Couldn't have done it without you Jake!

SMOKE-DOG
Approved Member

Post by SMOKE-DOG »

That's lookin' sweet.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Progressing ever so slowly, but it's worth the time. The truck is nearly finished. I need to figure out the drive shaft situation. I had some Traxxas slider halves and ordered what I thought was the other matching halves, but they didn't slide worth a crap. I don't know if the parts have changed over the years or if I just ordered the wrong ones. I'm now thinking I should buy some of the RC4wd Punisher shafts, they might hold up to the torque of the brushless system a little better, and they'll look better too. On to the pics:

SMOKE-DOG
Approved Member

Post by SMOKE-DOG »

Nice work. Makes me wanna build another truck. Are those Tamiya shocks on there? They look like the ones Tamiya has on clearance for like 20 some bucks a set.

rhino1
Approved Member

Post by rhino1 »

Man that Jug looks tuff! I have to get me one soon.
Those are my toys and no I will not share!