My first gold pan.

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

vwjuice
Approved Member

My first gold pan.

Post by vwjuice »

Hey guys, I picked up my first Gold pan car. It's a 6-gear car with a complete spare rebuilt transmission. The guy I bought it from is pretty knowledgeable in them and rebuilt the diff and shocks, replaced the ball cups, and painted the dogbones yellow so they're easier to find on a race track. lol, It came with a Novak Tempest Pro Hyperfet 2 esc, Magnum Junior radio system, Yokomo motor (unknown what turn but it's slow so 27t?), and a matched battery.

I'm looking for opinions, tips, advice, whatever. What do you guys think of it and is it worth holding onto? Plus are there any parts you see that are more valuable than average that would be best for a runner? Or even see any aftermarket option parts on it at all?

Thanks guys for any input.

Justin
PIC 009.jpg
PIC 010.jpg
PIC 011.jpg
PIC 012.jpg

seth556
Approved Member

Re: My first gold pan.

Post by seth556 »

Looks pretty stock to me, not a bad car. A new body and it should be great. If you wanted you could put the longer arms on the car and it would make a nice runner. Or even run it as is. It's all up to you.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

Which arms are you referring too?

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

I take it the rpm arms are the wide ones also? I'd go with those.

I'm thinking about running this in our occasional vintage class with a 13.5t. I'd convert it too use new wheels and tires for better traction since there isn't a slipper. I'm debating whether to race this or my sweet Raider I'll have soon.

seth556
Approved Member

Post by seth556 »

Here's a great setup if you want to race it http://thercasylum.com/pdf/Ruffys_RC10_Settings.pdf

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

Do you race it against new cars? If so how does it do?

Will 10t arms fit? I know it sounds funny, but after seeing VintageAE's low buck build I think it looks pretty cool and would help it handle better. :lol:

seth556
Approved Member

Post by seth556 »

10T arms would make it way too wide to race.

I do race against modern cars, I'm not too good with this whole buggy racing thing yet. Although I know Ruffy races his rc10s against modern cars and does very well (although this weekend he was seen driving a modern car) and the Harris' have raced theirs (now they only race TQ cars) and have done just as well.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

Oh that's cool. I didn't think the car would still be competitive.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

vwjuice wrote:Do you race it against new cars? If so how does it do?

Will 10t arms fit? I know it sounds funny, but after seeing VintageAE's low buck build I think it looks pretty cool and would help it handle better. :lol:
build a "whats old is new" car if you want to race against modern buggies, they hold their own very well.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

kaiser wrote:

build a "whats old is new" car if you want to race against modern buggies, they hold their own very well.

Dont you have one? But you started with a stealth correct? I definitely think wider arms would be required. What about shocks and springs?

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

kaiser wrote:

Dont you have one? But you started with a stealth correct? I definitely think wider arms would be required. What about shocks and springs?

I guess I just really need to spend a few hours combing thru all the tech here on this site. Lol

seth556
Approved Member

Post by seth556 »

I think Ruffy raced a 6-gear for a while. I'm sure he can answer that.

Use that setup sheet I posted a little earlier, that should give you a good starting point for shocks and all. Pretty much all of us are running the wider arms, which is the main difference between usual builds and what you have now. Also different people have different ways of mounting 2.2 tires, I'm using B44 cva's and B4 hubs, then others like ruffy are paying more for wheels that work with the original driveshafts.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

seth556 wrote:I think Ruffy raced a 6-gear for a while. I'm sure he can answer that.

Use that setup sheet I posted a little earlier, that should give you a good starting point for shocks and all. Pretty much all of us are running the wider arms, which is the main difference between usual builds and what you have now. Also different people have different ways of mounting 2.2 tires, I'm using B44 cva's and B4 hubs, then others like ruffy are paying more for wheels that work with the original driveshafts.
I want sure if maybe guys are upgrading shocks or not. I like the idea of B4 hubs with B44 cva's. Anything is better than old dogbones. :lol:

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

vwjuice wrote:
kaiser wrote:

I guess I just really need to spend a few hours combing thru all the tech here on this site. Lol
i have 2 rc10's both stealths, one is a gold pan c.e. and the other is a black pan / 10t nose "old is new" car. the old is new is still under construction.
a guy at my local track breaks out his old is new car and keeps up with the pack no problem.