How are the Old is New builds doing at the tracks?

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

I have brought my RC-10 Old is new buggy to two big races at my local track, and countless open practice sessions. Unfortunately, I could not compete in one of the races, my shock tower broke, but it was starting to look really good out there.

I know Freddie had a good showing during the JConcepts race, and even attracted some attention for the team drivers.

What I would like to know, is how everyone else out there is doing at their local tracks with their Old is new?

scr8p
Administrator

Re: How are the Old is New builds doing at the tracks?

Post by scr8p »

wait......... you mean we're supposed to run them :?:

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Most of them do quite well, I have seen some experienced drivers be faster with a stock configuration RC10 in CE trim than modded in the "WOIN" style. The modded car is way better on a rough track IMO-

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

I can't speak for other tracks or cars out there but I had my RC10 at our local track and it nearly blew itself apart. The very hard packed clay and large jumps were not friendly with it. I had the old problem of ball cups popping off, even after replacing them with new ones. The shock bottoms would strip out on me as well and one particularly bad landing off of a jump saw 3 of them go at once. The car has since been rebuilt with much tougher components which have solved most of my problems. However from a handling standpoint while the RC10 is a fun car, it doesn't compete compared to the current cars. It isn't as forgiving. I have of course been rebutted with the advice to learn how to drive better and to practice more, and to not wreck but the fact of the matter is that it takes far more effort with this car than many others which is an inherent disadvantage. If we had a track like I raced on in that 80's that was tighter, slower, rougher, soft and loamy with loose dirt I have no doubt the RC10 could be a winner. It excelled on those types of tracks. I think car evolution has followed track evolution or perhaps track evolution has followed car evolution. It's one of those. There are some people that report decent results on their tracks with the older cars but I just can't make that happen for me. Fortunately I have other cars to choose from. The RC10 is probably my favorite car to bash though and I still drive it like it is 1986 and I was 10 years old. My car was near mint a year ago. Today it looks it's age, as it should.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

joel45acp
Approved Member

Post by joel45acp »

I race my A stamped 1985 RC10 on a regular basis and do quite well. I've TQed several times and just flat out beaten the "modern" buggies and SC trucks too. I run it with a Tacon 2950KV (13.5T) geared at 81/26-28 powered by an EZrun 35A ESC and Gens Ace 4000mah 2S 30C battery. The car has been clocked at just under 40mph down the main straight. :lol: The track I race at is set up for 1/8th gas stuff, but the car has no problems clearing the triples and huge doubles. The rims are from JC Racing in England. The car is finished off in Alma Mater colors of course. :mrgreen: Geaux Tigers!! Image
In Christ,

Joel C.

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

scr8p wrote:wait......... you mean we're supposed to run them :?:

Just a couple of them. The rest are for show.

I agree, the rc-10 takes a bit more work to get around, but I figure once I get good with the RC-10 I should really fly with a B4.

There is also a SC10 in my stable, which I enjoy racing, but I just love running the RC-10.

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

I'm glad someone else asked! I was a little afraid to ask myself :lol:

I haven't actually raced mine at all but after bashing on my street and at a small construction site I've got it hopefully at the point now where it's now really tough. The last piece was aluminum shock towers and last night I put in a new Savix servo. Now I'm itching to try it out against some newer cars just to see.
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

i dont race outside my local dirt oval club however there are a few guys running rc10's, and in my case vintage traxxas stuff, and we all do pretty decent. then again you dont need much to go left :roll:

the 2wd nitro class is like 80% rc10gt's both the v1 black tub and v2 flat chassis.

Kyosho Fan2
Approved Member

Post by Kyosho Fan2 »

I race my B2 if you count that as old and up until recently was hitting the C finals, however with some great advice from a top X factory driver down here im now making the A and making mid field with ease but ive added a load of weight and upped the anti and thrown a 5.5 into it and its rapid. More work needed as in last weeks final i wasnt lapped but was half a lap off the leaders and its just a bit of tweaking to get it to go quicker into and out of the corners on carpet which will get me in to the top three. It also jumps much better than the mid motored cars like the losi 22 and the rc10b4 centro (unsure if thats the correct name) and schumacher so am well happy with it.

CUDDZILLA
Approved Member

Post by CUDDZILLA »

Haven't run YET. I'm currently building a gold pan to run at my local dirt oval http://www.bullringrc.com/ against purpose built cars and I expect it to do quite well.

I'll do my dead-level best to post updates on this.

delsami
Approved Member

Post by delsami »

I ran a rc10 graphite last year and regularly finish 5th out of 10 cars. when i ran my b4 i finished similar. The rc10 is unforgiving and I feel like i cant blink when i drive it.
This year my b4 is a top 2 car week after week. I have converted my "graphite car" into a sweet machined gold tub car. I work on the car all the time but still haven't run it yet. I am a few weeks away because I want it perfect.
xxx,lunchbox,blackfoot,t4,2 rc10ce's,rc10 graphite,rc10 worlds car,2 rc10 t's,xx4---GONE:mip4wdrc10,rpm worlds,houge rc10,super clod,sand scorcher,f103,frog,xxxt,b2,b3,tc3,jrx2,fox,yr4-m2 usa,yz-10 many more LOL

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Ran on a new surface last night with the right compound tires, but the wrong tread and ran 2nd overall only 1/2 sec off from a 22 with the right tires all night. Wide open, smooth and fast track too (and my 1991 PCM too :wink: )
IMAG0856.jpg

Zedmaster
Approved Member

Post by Zedmaster »

I don't know if I qualify as a WOIN build, but I think I'm at least trying to do something along the same lines as you guys are. My team car is almost done with its retrofit job, although I've decided to keep running the brushed Sonic L for now since I still like its performance. Anyway, I run it mostly at a local indoor clay track with tight turns and some good ruts and potholes here and there. I'm pleased to report that it's an extremely, EXTREMELY consistent racer. I start every race qualified dead last, and I finish it dead last. They say consistency is very important in any sport.

While the car has a few minor kinks, I think almost all of its problems are the fact that I'm total novice to racing of any kind. One of the more experienced old dogs at the track ran a few laps after my most recent loss just to show me how much potential the car has if I get more practice in, and he was able to really make that buggy fly.

Hopefully after my used Houge kit arrives in the mail next week that last major technical hurdle will be overcome. We'll see!

Happy holidays 10talkers! I hope Santa, Hanuka Harry or the Kwanza 'Bot has brought us all some most excellent mods for our rides this year...

-M

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

id like to know how they would do at the tracks ive gone to... i feel like they just make the tracks to destroy the cars.. i slammed my b4 and t4 into triples so hard i know that it would have destroyed my vintage rc10 metal chassis.. i wish they made tracks like this [youtube]670eXEOTm-8&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL3C4209B8E768C839[/youtube]

Zedmaster
Approved Member

Post by Zedmaster »

i wish they made tracks like this
I second that! My local track seems to be mostly hairpins.