Cougar w/ EuroComposite CWF tub - one more purple delight!

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Lonestar
Approved Member

Cougar w/ EuroComposite CWF tub - one more purple delight!

Post by Lonestar »

Hey guys,

interestingly there seems to be some interest for CWF cougar tubs these days... right when I wanted to show you one of my rides (hi Marc! :D)

The company that made these CWF tubs for the cougar was EuroComposite, they were a French company active in the 90's. Not sure what happened to them after that, but their products didn't have that great a reputation back then. A couple of knowledgeable people have explained to me that their "forming" process wasn't the best, but then again I'm not a materials person so I forgot the explanation :mrgreen: There's a company still called EC today, but I believe the only guy who probably was into RC changed jobs since then as they don't seem to do ANY RC stuff :lol: AFAIK Fiber-lyte didn't make a tub for these felines as opposed to the RC10, but then again I could be wrong. Not sure about ComCom, David/Jeroen maybe you can shed some light on this?

Anyway, here's mine. It's a Cougar1, with a EuroComposite chassis, and what could very well be EC shock Towers too (I checked FL's offer and I believe they only have C2 ones). It has supposedly been rebuilt from the ground up by the previous owner and indeed there's a lot of new parts on it, but still some of the assembly was a bit funny, let's say that the car was 90% rebuilt and could use a full teardown again :) The car has Trinity shocks, I bought it without a body about a year ago... but many moons ago I had picked a used body which I KNEW I'd have a use for someday, and guess what, it's perfect for that car!

The Trinity shocks look killer, but there was a serious fitment issue with the front ones as they simply were not working in the right direction with the stock C1 arms as the lower mounting point was sitting to far forward it looked. As I bought some C2 arms a few weeks ago and I had a couple of hours available the other day, I swapped the arms, et voila, much better now. I still am not sure why this all doesn't fit 100% "right", maybe that shock tower isn't originally designed for the cougar after all but that'd be quite a coincidence as the holes obviously line up.

Image Image

Icing on the cake, there's an alloy gearbox, which I only spotted AFTER buying the car - nice surprise! Not sure who the manufacturer is but chances are it's a genuine Schuey one :)

Overall the car is still far from being absofreakinglutely perfect, as it would need another wing, purple hardware only, and I would need to find a solution to the overall shock fit (plus it still uses fuel tubing on the upper mounts). But still it looks pretty darn cool I'd say :mrgreen:

for those of you who speak French, there's an article on overrc on a car that sports the same chassis as mine, and interestingly Ito the owner and me often race together indoor classes! Funny coincidence!

http://www.overrc.com/vintage/autos/schumachercougareurocomposite/schumachercougareurocomposite.html

Hope you like it ;)

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

CAT3K
Approved Member

Re: Cougar w/ EuroComposite CWF tub - one more purple deligh

Post by CAT3K »

Now that's a nice Cougar :)

I have a very similar (bit lower/wider) carbon shock tower. I always wondered who manufactured it, could be that same company. I'll post pics if get a chance maybe.

The alloy gearbox casing is the Schumacher version, i have one here waiting for something to build it with. Really expensive option it was back in the day it was too.

Paul.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Thanks for the kind comments Paul :)

The fact that there's at least two such front towers on the planet indeed removes the doubt that it's a self-made bit... We'll need to investigate further on that, I'll keep asking around... I have someone I'll try to ping today for more info :)

Thanks also for the confirmation on the alloy case brand - how do you recognize from the other hop-uppers, I think GPM did a "silver" one too? For MMS's it's easier as they probably were red iirc.

Now I wish the car had a slipper as removing that gear cover is completely anti-climactic!

Cheers,
Paul

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

The Schumacher version is silver with no heatsink. There were loads of colours of GPM ones, and they have a small heatsink on the top.

Paul.

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

Nice Car there Paul, the Old Orion decals are awesome too, brings up memories of colorful racing days - lots of flourescent colors, shirts, hats etc. LOL

can't wait to see it "purpled out"

-Maurice

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

Lonestar wrote:The fact that there's at least two such front towers on the planet indeed removes the doubt that it's a self-made bit... We'll need to investigate further on that, I'll keep asking around... I have someone I'll try to ping today for more info :)
Here's a pic of the tower i have. Similar, but lower/wider.

Paul.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Thanks Paul. Mmmmh... they aren't the same at all actually :(

The mystery thickens :mrgreen:

Paul

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

That's a pretty nice drive you have there! ;)

I'm loving the resurgence in popularity of purple. That paint-job looks great! 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

jeroen206
Approved Member

Post by jeroen206 »

Lonestar wrote:: AFAIK Fiber-lyte didn't make a tub for these felines as opposed to the RC10, but then again I could be wrong. Not sure about ComCom, David/Jeroen maybe you can shed some light on this?

The 2 carbonfibre chassis i got , are both from EuroComposite.
I bought one from Kenooze (member here) , but i really don't know if ComCom made a Tub chassis in the past.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

jeroen206 wrote:
Lonestar wrote:: AFAIK Fiber-lyte didn't make a tub for these felines as opposed to the RC10, but then again I could be wrong. Not sure about ComCom, David/Jeroen maybe you can shed some light on this?

I bought one from Kenooze (member here) , but i really don't know if ComCom made a Tub chassis in the past.
Awesome car Paul, this very chassis is still missing in my carbon tub collection :mrgreen: I don't think Fibre-Lyte/ComCom ever made a chassis for the Topcat/Cougar BITD and I might ask them the question as I am right now making a top secret transaction with them :D The only tub chassis they made for the Schueys to my knowledge is the Cougar 2000.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Asso_man! wrote:
jeroen206 wrote:

Awesome car Paul, this very chassis is still missing in my carbon tub collection :mrgreen: I don't think Fibre-Lyte/ComCom ever made a chassis for the Topcat/Cougar BITD and I might ask them the question as I am right now making a top secret transaction with them :D The only tub chassis they made for the Schueys to my knowledge is the Cougar 2000.

Thanks for the clarification, David... still investigating where that front tower comes from, really...

Paul

geeforce59
Approved Member

Post by geeforce59 »

That Cougar CF Chassis is really cool! :D too expensive though! :shock: