ILL's JRX2 modern runner / Budget build / New goodies:

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

jwscab

Re: ILL's JRX2 modern runner / Budget build / New goodies:

Post by jwscab »

Yep, that could probably work too! I forgot you can swap the bulkhead on a losi jr front end like that.

License2iLL
Approved Member

Post by License2iLL »

I dont know if I could stand that look altho it is a valid suggestion thnk JK.
Just something about the rear of the shock tower facing you that screams ARSE or builders name is Bizarro.
Glad to be back in this hobby so many many years later. To see new things and to recollect on ALL cool vintage models!
As well as to BUILD :
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=27591
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=33429

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

Call it a Masami tribute front end :)
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

License2iLL
Approved Member

Post by License2iLL »

Made some progress...and threw a set of wheels on just to take some measurements.
Yup too wide in the front.
CIMG9715 (2)re.jpg
CIMG9719re.jpg
This is a better look at the front w/wheels I checked and double checked on the negative camber you guys mentioned....the hub carriers barely budges if any at all. It pretty much remains in relation to the arm: no exagerrated negative camber.
CIMG9720re.jpg
CIMG9721re.jpg
The front width its at 11 1/4ish w/wheels. I'm considering using the 22 front bulk to bring that in to almost legal if I continue to use my vintage wheels.....(perfectly legal if I go to the 2.2 wheels as I gather they have a slight difference in offset.)

The thing about this all is that I partly wanted to gain some extra turning...but when I compare it to my original JRX2 it does not really have much if any over it.....so the only gains to be had if not that would be the upswept arms and running 2.2 which I dont really want to just yet.

Unless im not considering something the overall turning ability is about the same ! Altho I am comparing without the servo and at the point of when the steering arms bang into their carriers.....I do think that when the servo's is hooked up the TLR 22 setup goes almost to the max of it which is close to my testing....but I wont know until I dress it all up fully and engage it via the servo.

I'm gonna have to install the servo like this for a little while before deciding to bring in the 22 front bulkhead or go back to stock vintage setup. At this point going im not sure if the upswept arms alone and not gaining any turning is worth it altho I do like the looks of it all.
Glad to be back in this hobby so many many years later. To see new things and to recollect on ALL cool vintage models!
As well as to BUILD :

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

1. You don't have to go to the TLR22 stuff to get 2.2 wheels and tires.

2. There is still a lot of tuning on the stock JrxPro. Camber locations on the shock tower, upper and lower shock mount locations, camber degree, toe degree...Pistons/oil/springs in the shocks...

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

the turning radius of the TLR22 isnt much, if any, different than that of a stock JRX

the difference would be on a track, suspension tuning and tires, the 22 front end wont take away push if it is set up wrong/wrong tires.

reset the front back to vintage/stock and tune it for track conditions & make sure you have the right tires.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

I am running RC10B4 steering hubs with the RC10GT wide axles and B4 wheels just like on my RC10. Works fine. It is about 1/8" too wide for ROAR but with RC10L axles it would settle in under it a little bit.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

License2iLL
Approved Member

Post by License2iLL »

Yup my biggest interest were the turn-ing radius(XXXlosiman I think you thought I wrote tuning)and when comparing my shelf queen to this one there does not seem to be any additional turning added. Outside of that maybe the shelf queen has a worn servo that is not pushing the steering spindles to their max as I dont think I have ever seen the stock jrx2 steering spindles max out and hit their carriers...but I have always been able to push it manually but never seen the servo make it reach full max tilt.

I did however manage to add the shocks, servo, esc, and battery to this current new setup just to test...and let me tell you a vintage stock futuba fs148 is getting the 22 steering spindles to their max using the heavy duty stock steering kit you see in the pics. It goes full tilt and clips the hub carrier as it hits full max.....again something I dont think I have ever seen the shelf queen JRX2 ever do on a stock servo.

Beyond that I slipped on the body just to look at it dressed....to my surprise it looked really really nice even with the current uncorrected width. Just something about the camber rods being up front and seperate from the steering rods along with the newer look of the arms....that just really made it all come together.

I'm on the fence after that....right before it I was thinking hell with it all im going back to vintage...but after seeing the steering go full tilt and the body on it....I was thinking I came this far maybe give the tlr 22 pivot head a try? as a last attempt.

I'm gonna decide in a few hours or a day. Anyone know a better alternative to the small hex socket screws like the ones that go into the antenna post ?....they're just too small and strip too easy. I'd like to get rid of them entirely off the chassis..but with same size head so they still tuck into their chassis recesses.. Either screw or bigger hex...I just dont like that tiny allen or the tiny hex. One or the other gets ruined I want to see it gone.
As well as to BUILD :

License2iLL
Approved Member

Post by License2iLL »

Well the TLR stuff is going to go on another chassis as I dont really want to shorten their arms to make it roar legal here...and then the only other way to get them on Roar legal here is to use a TLR pivot front....and the only way to get that on to this chassis is to drill it...and I refuse to. Be that as it may I am not a purist but weighing things in...it is not truly necessary. Now NOW for anyone who actually wanted to see this happen I have salvaged a JR chassis in a shape that is much more receptive to this type of shenanigan so this idea will resurface in a seperate JR car.

I went with Andy's here instead using another front bulkhead (the TLR matched one stays on the bench for now):
andys.jpeg
Used some TLR shims to take up any slack for no forward or aft movement...it's thin but its there on the inside of front arm and so was the slack it took up perfectly....:
thin flat washer.jpeg
andys2.jpeg
Washer reinforcement:
backshot.jpeg
I was missing a stock spindle kingpin. So not able to finish just yet.
As well as to BUILD :

License2iLL
Approved Member

Post by License2iLL »

1.jpeg
2.jpeg
3.jpeg
4.jpeg
As well as to BUILD :

License2iLL
Approved Member

Post by License2iLL »

I was finally able to put the finishing touches on this project. Thanks to all that helped and shared information.

This is a runner...but it is not my original which I am going to rebuild and restore to dub queen.

It's been a lot of fun and brought back some old memories and reinvigorated an old hobby. To be able to modernize the technology only made it more fun. Just wish we all had access to more parts to keep these babies out there.
2013-08-10_13-05-30_918v1.jpg
IMG_8893v1.jpg
IMG_8895v1.jpg
IMG_9001v1.jpg
IMG_9039v1.jpg
IMG_9154v1.jpg
IMG_9260v1.jpg
IMG_9328v1.jpg
IMG_9345v1.jpg
As well as to BUILD :

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

Silver body and black wheels - now that's a badass look 8)
~I'm a lot older now than I was then and wish that I knew then what I know now~

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

looks stealthy 8)
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

License2iLL
Approved Member

Post by License2iLL »

Its really black. All four shocks are the threaded kind and original black losi's. I took the silver shocks off but have them as spares.
Front windshield is cutout for air filter to hit directly onto speed controller.
Its got an 87 tooth gear and either a 17 or 19 t pinion...i ran for half an hour on 1 lipo the other day. It was not super super fast but I think my pinion is the cause of that...but I wanted to start off with it slow so as to not burn out the transmission...but I did have a hard time setting the external slipper clutch perfectly. It's been awhile for me so I do beleive I set the internal diff correctly so I have not really re-tweaked that. But the ext one im still getting the hang of.

It may very well be radar proof. :mrgreen:
As well as to BUILD :

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I love the build, but I think the black is too much. This is just a personal opinion but I think it needs something to contrast. It kind of makes it look like the whole thing was spray-bombed flat black. A splash of color here and there would really stand out. I guess you won't be driving that at night? 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3