steering trouble

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Barnfind
Approved Member

steering trouble

Post by Barnfind »

with my rc10 I have trouble controlling the steering in that when I turn it will make a slow wide turn and then all of a sudden make a sharp turn and sometimes roll over :( . I am also having trouble with traction even though I have brand new traxxas talon tires. any help with this problem would be appreciated

RC10th
Approved Member

Re: steering trouble

Post by RC10th »

It might be helpful if you could post up a few pictures of your set up. It could be lots of things but firstly I would disconnect the steering linkage from the servo horn and make sure the steering moves free. Do you have a servo saver?

If it "hooks in" and wants to flip I would look to see if the front shocks have oil. Also what radio are you using and do you have any steering "exponential" set?

What surface are you using the talon tires on? Were the old ones any better?
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

well, this sounds interesting, Those talon tires definitely handle differently then others. only tires ive managed to pull off a zero degree turn radius on asphalt. just my honest opinion but unless your running larger tires with the talon pattern on them, They arent worth crap. They are like street tires w/o enough rubber and dont stick out far enough to do real good off road.

pictures would help too.

Is the turning issue with turning both left and right or only one direction?

Do your wheels go farther in one direction than the other?

Are you turning the same amount on the controller when its barely turning and sharply turning?

Barnfind
Approved Member

Post by Barnfind »

here are some pictures of the tires and steering setup along with the controller. I just rebuilt the shocks and know that all of them have oil and don't leak. I use the talon tires on asphalt and gravel and some dirt but not much. (pretty much what I can get to around my neighborhood) the problem happens more when I turn right and yes my wheels go a little further left then they do right but I didn't know what to do about that since I'm pretty knew to this I don't really know how to set it up. what is a good setup?? and what hole should my shocks be in on the shock tower for the best ride?? Yes I am turning the same amount with the controller when I turn and it does it still. hope I answered all your questions and if you need anymore pics or anything else let me know.
Attachments
tires.jpg
steering#4.jpg
steering#3.jpg
steering#2.jpg
steering.jpg
controller.jpg

Barnfind
Approved Member

Post by Barnfind »

my mistake earlier the problem actually occurs more when I go left. I was trying to remember from memory but know that I drove it again I realized it happens for to the left.
RC10th wrote:It might be helpful if you could post up a few pictures of your set up. It could be lots of things but firstly I would disconnect the steering linkage from the servo horn and make sure the steering moves free. Do you have a servo saver?

If it "hooks in" and wants to flip I would look to see if the front shocks have oil. Also what radio are you using and do you have any steering "exponential" set?

What surface are you using the talon tires on? Were the old ones any better?
DMAT wrote:well, this sounds interesting, Those talon tires definitely handle differently then others. only tires ive managed to pull off a zero degree turn radius on asphalt. just my honest opinion but unless your running larger tires with the talon pattern on them, They arent worth crap. They are like street tires w/o enough rubber and dont stick out far enough to do real good off road.

pictures would help too.

Is the turning issue with turning both left and right or only one direction?

Do your wheels go farther in one direction than the other?

Are you turning the same amount on the controller when its barely turning and sharply turning?

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

not sure if im seeing it right but it looks like your car is leaning on the left side. and your left front tire isnt sitting flat. The top part is out just a little.

I would follow rc10th instructions.

I would also loosen the metal piece holding the two wires. Get your servo and the bellcranks set straight as possible then retighten.

Adjust your toe to have each wheel as straight as possible, if you can find something just wide enough like a book, you could use that as a guild to get the wheels parallel with each other. After that check your camber to make sure each wheel is flat to the ground. Thats pretty much all I do with my car's steering.

I would recommend to see how the car runs after each adjustment. Yes it can be time consuming but its really the only way to see how the car handles.

As to your shocks, no clue man. Only guides I really know is to adjust your rear shocks to where your drive linkage (dogbones, unis, cvd) are close to paralless with the ground so there is little angle as possible then get the front of the car to match that ride height.

you'd need someone who races a lot to get better advice as to positioning. I think that winning edge video said positioning shocks to the outside hole on the arms gave a better ride.

jaro
Approved Member

Post by jaro »

I would move the front shocks bottom to outer hole and top to middle, I would also change anlge of rear shocks to be at a similar angle to fronts, they look to upright in photos. As DMAT says try each adjustment one at a time and you will notice what difference it does. Having the right tyres for the track conditions helps and this probably accounts for about 80% of car set up. My best advice though would be find like minded people or a club local to you, people are always happy to help.

Barnfind
Approved Member

Post by Barnfind »

Thanks for all the help I will try what you said and also see if I can find a track or club near me.