Scorpion or Tomahawk Re-Re

The place for all things re-release Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

bjammin90

Scorpion or Tomahawk Re-Re

Post by bjammin90 »

Wanting to get one of the Kyosho Re-Re's to have fun at the beach. What's the main differences between the Scorpion and Tomahawk?
Whatever I get it will be set up lipo/17.5

mugenbulldog
Approved Member

Re: Scorpion or Tomahawk Re-Re

Post by mugenbulldog »

For the beach you might want a Scorpion due to the fully enclosed tub. My scorpion is Lipo / 17.5 brushless and is a blast. I found some Lipo stick packs that are shaped like the old nicads so I can also use them in my optimas.

bjammin90

Post by bjammin90 »

mugenbulldog wrote:For the beach you might want a Scorpion due to the fully enclosed tub. My scorpion is Lipo / 17.5 brushless and is a blast. I found some Lipo stick packs that are shaped like the old nicads so I can also use them in my optimas.
Thanks MBD. So... would the Scorpion be more on the "fun" side of performance and the Tomahawk would be more "race" oriented?

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

I would suggest a vehicle with a well sealed transmission and radio box as the sand and salty water get everywhere. I don't either of those kyosho's fit the bill.

mugenbulldog
Approved Member

Post by mugenbulldog »

Not very different, but the scorpion will do a better job keeping sand and water out of your electronics.

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

I took my Traxxas Slash 4x4 to the beach not long ago......HUGE mistake. Ended up having to replace ALL of the metal linkages, nuts, and bolts. Everything rusted due to the salt. I wouldn't even consider taking one of these re-re's to the beach, I'd take a piece of junk you don't care about, because it will get ruined.

bjammin90

Post by bjammin90 »

Just to clarify the beach we take our dog to is pretty wide and I have no intentions of getting my toys any where near salt water. With that being said I do understand the damage saltwater beach sand can do if not addressed right away.
Thanks all and it looks like the Scorpion is the one I'll go with.

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

It doesn't have to run in the water to get wet just being by the beach will expose the vehicle to salty air The damp sand near the waters edge will make salty sand stick everywhere

mugenbulldog
Approved Member

Post by mugenbulldog »

I ran mine on a mix of dry sandy dirt, damp dirt, and snow / ice. What crimes against vintage RC have I committed?

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Them all, I´m afraid :mrgreen:

Stainless a4 screws, quality bearings and an oily rag - should take care of the worst.

Sea air is pure medicine for mind and body, but the Land Cruiser never gets dipped :lol:
Gone fishing

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

All of the sand at the beach has salt in it. There's no way of driving anything at the beach without exposing it to salt. Obviously the wetter it is, the worse it will be, but regardless the car will be subjected to salt. You may get lucky, and have minimal danage. But from my personal experience, of which I have pics, I will never, ever, run a vehicle at the beach unless it's a piece of crap that I don't care about. Maybe like a used/abused 2wd Slash that I just don't give a rats-ass about, and only use it for these types of things. Just sayin, when you're fantastic new re-re comes home with rust and salt degredation on the aluminum, don't cry to me, hehe.

Pro-tip: If you do decide to take the car to the beach, 1) don't run it in any water or moist sand, 2) brush off ALL the sand before you even attempt to wash it with water or moisture of any kind. The instant water hits that salt, it's over, and whatever part that is, will now look like crap. 3) Aluminum oxidizes very easily due to salt, so watch the front shock towers and such. 4) You're best bet is to clean the car is with a spray electronics cleaner that won't convert the salt into rust, I would not use this on plastics. They also make a RC car specific cleaner that can be found at most hobby shops.

mikea96
Approved Member

Post by mikea96 »

I used to drive mine at the beach all the time and even in the water you just need to tear it down and clean good when you get it home.

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

The idea of driving my Slash at the beach was to get some sweet footage. I had gone out for a test run, and the truck was doing AWESOME 4wd 4-wheel drifts in the wet sand, doing sweet jumps, massive controlled powerslides with big roost andl it all just looked frickin awesome with the Badlands chunky tires tires. So I stopped to go grab my GF, so she could do the filming, and that's when I noticed it was already starting to rust. We never did the actual video shoot, and the next few hours were spent cleaning the truck, taking time from our San Diego vacation. Even after the immediate cleaning the damage was already done. *Every* single bolt and tie rod was rusted. All of them. I ended up buying a complete re-bolt kit for the truck, along with all new tie rods, which wasn't cheap. Sucks because that footage would have been epic in slow-mo.

Now I DO realize you don't intend to drive in the wet sand like I did, but just be warned. Don't drive in the wet, and clean the car as soon as possible, even if it means in a hotel room.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

These are first and foremost toys and the rere were sent to earth for us that weren't old enuf to afford these the first time around to enjoy them now. Whether you shelf them or run them they are an inexpensive way for us to do what we wouldn't do to our 1:1 vehicles...well sorta :wink:

In essence you need to figure out which one you want to work on. Find the easier of the choices for access to work on it and go from there. Like shodog was heading at you should also find the one that will protect itself as much as possible so one of these two might not be right for the job either. Whichever one you figure out to take to the beach just figure you will have just as much cleaning time as run time so don't let that take your fun away. If it were me I'd pry take the scorpion rere myself due to the electronics tub but that won't keep sand outta the gearbox. Some of my electronics have seen more vehicles then they actually should have due to boredom or just sheer destruction/wearout of vehicles so thats why I'd go there. I've run my daughters 4wd slash in mud, sand and water. With hosing it down I just knew from the getgo that I'd have to install new bearings knowing they would rust from the inside out and know that saltwater will hit it alot harder than my mississippi river water ever would.

Let us know what you figure out that you're gonna take to the beach and for gods sake...take pictures when you get there...we all like pix :mrgreen:

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!