Why isn't the interest in RC-10 collecting very strong?

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

shodog
Approved Member

Why isn't the interest in RC-10 collecting very strong?

Post by shodog »

Let me first say that I love the RC-10. That buggy was heads of above the rest when it first came out. One thing I noticed is that eventhough it's a superior car, it has no where near the collector interest than even the lame tamiya's. Really nice buggies can still be had for >$75 on ebay. Is it that we're catching RC-10's in their infancy of collectability or is there really no love for it?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

the collectability for the rc10 is definatly there, in my opinion. i think the aftermarket products for it are where it's at, though. for the most part, if you seen one gold tub, you've seen em all. but put those parts on a rare or hard to find chassis, and cha ching. :wink:

what surprizes me the most is losi stuff. with the limited amount of things on the internet for those vehicles, you would think the prices would be alot higher when you find stuff on ebay for them. earlier this year, i won a new built, never used junior t on ebay for $25.00. now i know that the junior t isn't the top losi car, but come on, $25.00? :shock: i felt like i was robbing the guy.

the want for rc10 stuff is gaining momentum. so i'm hoping to get all the cars that i want build done in the near future before prices start to get too out of hand. that's already happening on alot of stuff.

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

I think the condition is the main thing. Sure you can get a "nice" condition RC10 for around $75, but look at what the Mint, never run, and NIP stuff is going for, big bucks! And I do also think that this is just the begining of the collecting era, you might say it's the Goden age of collecting gold. :D

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

RC10 collecting is much stronger than it was just 5 years ago when I bought my first one. I wish I had snatched up everything on ebay back then, stuff was going for half what it goes for now.

I too am suprised at the low Losi prices still. Losi cars were just as good, sometimes better, and they are much more rare. I guess just not as many people had them, so the Tamiyas, Kyoshos and Associateds are worth more. Seems to be in that order too.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

another thing i thought about was the short production run a some tamiya and kyosho models. some cars are made for a year or less, than discontinued. that helps big time with the collectability of these models. you can see it with the rc10 worlds car, it wasn't around long, that's why they bring good money when they come up for sale. you could also include the b2, for that matter. nice ones don't show up often.

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

Recently a NIB RC-10 sold for only $280. Now if I had not spent so much on my High Lift, I would have swooped it up. That's pretty cheap.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

scr8p wrote:the collectability for the rc10 is definatly there, in my opinion. i think the aftermarket products for it are where it's at, though. for the most part, if you seen one gold tub, you've seen em all. but put those parts on a rare or hard to find chassis, and cha ching. :wink:

what surprizes me the most is losi stuff. with the limited amount of things on the internet for those vehicles, you would think the prices would be alot higher when you find stuff on ebay for them. earlier this year, i won a new built, never used junior t on ebay for $25.00. now i know that the junior t isn't the top losi car, but come on, $25.00? :shock: i felt like i was robbing the guy.

the want for rc10 stuff is gaining momentum. so i'm hoping to get all the cars that i want build done in the near future before prices start to get too out of hand. that's already happening on alot of stuff.
check this: http://cgi.befr.ebay.be/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&item=190037267936&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDW%3AIT&rd=1

and this: http://cgi.befr.ebay.be/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=49217&item=280028536017

I bought a MINT JRX2 a few weeks ago with Sees aluminium rims for 35 USD :!: :!: :!: :!:

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

NIB Jrx2's, unpainted bodies and uncut decal sheets are a whole other story. There might not be as many Losi collectors out there, but the ones that are don't have access to brand new vintage bodies like us AE guys. Those are some very rare parts.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

I do agree with you... how lucky we are :lol:

shodog
Approved Member

Re: Why isn't the interest in RC-10 collecting very strong?

Post by shodog »

Today I was trolling back through my old posts and came across this one from 2006. My how things have changed in the last 7 years

FlyinGN
Approved Member

Post by FlyinGN »

I can equate this to full size car collecting which I have many decades experience with. Just because a car is(was) popular and generally known as the best of its era(Take for example the 86-92 5.0 Mustangs) if so many were made, the collector status will not as high as one would think. The market was flooded with the 5.0 Mustangs as was with the RC10's so the value will only be as good as the supply/demand scale is. If there are more interested collectors then there are cars, the value will be high. If there are less interested collectors then the supply, the value will be lower.
Give it time. When the supply gets lower, the value will go up. This does NOT apply for ultra low mileage examples (for 5.0's and RC10) cause those supplies will always be very low.

marlo
Approved Member

Post by marlo »

Maybe its because RC10's were basically always the same car. When I was a younger man I was very into Tamiya cars as each one looked different (but basically all the same) but the box art made it look like each kit was a unique brand new car, kind of like Orange County Choppers stupid theme built bikes.
But now, its all about the RC10. They may all be basically the same car, and they are very desirable and highly collectable, but condition is always key. A NIB will fetch, or at least should, a good premium over a common runner. But again, everything has a shelf life as these cars (RC10s) will only appeal to the age group who grew up with them. It would be very interesting to see if these cars command a premium to a generation who is now entering the B5s.

vsefiream
Approved Member

Post by vsefiream »

I agree with Marlo. To combine a few thoughts here, just like real cars, if a lot have been made no matter how cool, the demand will be soft. Now rc10s dont suffer as much attrition as real cars. Waffle and the like are working on thinning the herd but slowly. Good examples will fetch premiums but runners will probably stay affordable. Now that the re re has been released and sold out, the prices have risen sharply across the board. The cars similar to cars I sold cheaply last year have been seeling for at least 30% more. I feel that between increasing interest in Rc10s and making new parts available, the rere has been a very good thing! Now if I can only justify buying one.

marlo
Approved Member

Post by marlo »

vsefiream wrote: "the rere has been a very good thing! "
Now I hate sounding like a wet blanket here, and I am sure some know my views on the re-re. A renewed interest in the car? Yes. Damaging vintage part sales? Yes!!! In my collective mind opinion, the re-re was the worst thing that could have happened for collectability on these cars. Tamiya's re-re cars potentially can only help that market, but for some reason, I do not feel any positive effects can be gained with the RC10. Yes, I know, keeping runners alive and active is a good thing and I fully support the market, but feel greater effort should have been taken to make sure parts are more identifiable as new release Asian knock offs. :wink:

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

I have mixed emotions on the rere's. Tamiya killed the collectibility of their cars. I'm not into collecting for the financial aspect, I'm in it for the exclusivity of the hobby. It truly pissed me off when tamiya rere'd cars that I spent years spending a small fortune chasing down parts for. Having a new built hotshot, fox, wild one, fast attack, lunch box and hornet mean nothing to me now knowing that there are thousands of others out there just like them.

As for the rere RC10, I'm glad thunder tiger did it. It renews interest in the brand and as long as they hold true to the original speculated 2500 cap, in years to come will create one of associated's most limited edition and sought after vehicles. I'm glad I bought two.