Monster buggy, GAS

The place for all things Traxxas.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

the13bats
Approved Member

Monster buggy, GAS

Post by the13bats »

Here is my very nice, sorta, Monster buggy.

I cant recall when these came out late 80s early 90s? 1/6th scale, there was also an on road version, wish I had that.

Mine has not been ran much or bashed, i ran it once several tanks many years ago.

While it wasn't epic but it could really spank the Raco which in standard build didn't even have a diff, and the monster could go neck to neck with FG, driver skills being the determining factor.

My monster is wearing a HPI baja rear wing because the stock wing wasn't as nice and in the pic the so called body is removed.
Mine has 3 standard size servos, 2 for steering one for throttle/brake i didn't look but likely high torque ones, i still have the plate to run 1/4 servos.

I believe these just came out at the wrong time to catch on.
20200728_161315_copy_1670x1035.jpg

Lowgear
Administrator

Re: Monster buggy, GAS

Post by Lowgear »

They came out in 1993. I remember being blown away by it as I had just gotten my first hobby grade R/C a year prior. Yeah unfortunately they didn't catch on, and disappeared soon after.

the13bats
Approved Member

Re: Monster buggy, GAS

Post by the13bats »

Timing is everything,

Trends come and go, i had purple hair in the mid 80s, now its grey
Lol,

I remember a time people wanted to replace batteries and motors with nitro engines, now a trend is to replace nitro with modern electrics, which too will wax and wane,
Last year a young man was running a 4 wheel drive 10th in wall Mart parking lot, it had sections of pvc pipe over each tire and floated around like it was on ice, he told me its where RC is today,
See why i stay old school?

!imho the MB had a sort of plastic toy vibe, it was built as well as a hpi baja but the mindset back then gave all that plastic a stigma,

Heres my raco with a baja and chimera,
20200619_225812_copy_2032x885.jpg
I like large scale,

Also the day i ran my MB i never could really get a good tune on the suspension, it wasnt as bad but handled like many of the early nitro buggys,
I believe that with different tires and more tweaking a MB could have shined but it had its chance, timing wasnt there for it.