Team losi, but what?

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

rnoswal3434
Approved Member

Team losi, but what?

Post by rnoswal3434 »

I had this running the other day with a new brushless motor and lipo batterie. Sure was nice. I didn't adjust the slipper clutch and as the pictures will show, I stripped a gear. The chassis battery box holder says Team Losi on it but I can't find what type it is in order to see where I can find a new or better gear. Or if there is an upgrade that will fit that is stronger. I did not buy this car new but at an auction back in the late 90's.

Hope someone can tell and if I was supposed to put this in the "what is this" section, I appologize.

Thanks

Russ
Attachments
image000061.jpg
image000059.jpg
image000058.jpg
This is the stripped gear.
This is the stripped gear.
image000063.jpg
image000062.jpg

juicedcoupe

Re: Team losi, but what?

Post by juicedcoupe »

Looks like a Losi LRM transmission, and I believe that was a common failure. There were several upgrades for that transmission back in the day, you might be able to locate some.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

Delorean
Approved Member

Post by Delorean »

Looks like a Losi LXT with the LRM transmission which came standard with the truck. The LRM transmission is shared with the JRX series of buggies

HS-YZ250

Post by HS-YZ250 »

I wonder if this is an early LXT kit, or a conversion from a Junior T or something. In the last image you can see two holes on either side of the chassis where the early Losi 5-ilnk posts would be. Neither my LXT (which was a JRX-T conversion kit) nor my JRX Pro SE have those features. In fact, now that I think about it, the shocks look like what came with the JRX-T, before the friction coatings, or the Junior T.

Regardless, here are a couple of options, though I'm sure these aren't very common anymore:

First, MIP used to sell a kit to change the internal ratio of the LRM transmission to 2.61:1 and came with a new primary gear and center gear for the differential. I thought I had a backup kit I could get a part number off of, but I don't seem to be able to find it. I'll search later and report back if I find anything. >>>EDIT<<< - found this thread on this forum! - https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=7630&start=15

Another option is to try and find the XX retrofit transmission. You'll want the 2.61:1 ratio, which is made for the trucks, and then you'll have to find the outdrives that go with them.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/jrxt-losi-3051-xx-retrofit-61-1972181506

These cars were made well before brushless power, so it'd be a good idea to use a milder motor for longevity. It's on my list of things to do to upgrade both my Losi's to brushless, but I'm probably going to stay with 17.5 to save the drive train.
Losi LXT (JRX-T Conversion)
Losi JRX Pro SE
Kyosho Rocky
Parts-Car-to-Runner Kyosho Rocky
Yokomo YZ10 WCS '95 Pavidis
RJ Speed Spec10 "Chew Toy Mk1"
Redcat Lightning STK "Chew Toy Mk 2"
Kyosho Lazer ZX, ZX-R, ZX-RR

BattleTrak

Post by BattleTrak »

The trans is the Losi LRM used in the JRX2 to early LXT. This looks like an LXT that has a Junior 2/T chassis. It has the low friction gears which points more towards an LXT also.. The only stronger gears to upgrade this would be the Thorp aluminum ones but they will be expensive if you can find them. Just find some stock replacements and use the slipper.
-Brad

rnoswal3434
Approved Member

Post by rnoswal3434 »

I did find this at Amain hobbies ; https://www.amainhobbies.com/robinson-racing-aluminum-ball-differential-gear-rrp9404/p-quarq2qagz2xactz , but it is on a back orders status. And Thorp did have one alum side for the outer gears from that diff. Now the weak point will be the output shafts which are plastic geared too. There will always be weak points for sure with brushless. I don't know how the other pieces will react after I manage to get it together but the slilpper clutch will be used a lot. And I think BattleTrac is correct that it is an early LXT conversion as trucks were all the rage before it died out here.

This was my first brushless and lipo battery along with a new radio and esc. The sport sure has come a long way since the 90's when I raced. Anyway, I appreciate the views and possiblilities for a stronger diff. It appears I may have to breakdown and buy a new, modern car just so see the differences someday but for now will take it easier with what I have.

Thanks guys for all the input.

Russ

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

The LRM remains a fairly capable transmission, IMO. I run a couple brushless ones in my local track races. As long as the diff is kept adjusted properly, and you don't use too much power and/or use the slipper, the LRM will hold up just fine. There are aluminum gears available on eBay often, and there are always diff gears and complete/partial transmissions for sale, too. As mentioned, these transmissions were used on many vehicles including the Jrx2, Jrx-Pro, JrxT, Junior 2, Junior T, Jrx-Pro SE and LXT. So you have many options to use when searching. The XX retro-fit transmission is a great upgrade, and there are other brands that bolt in as well such as MIP and Factory Works, but all these may be hard to find, not to mention more expensive.

The basic gear you need is the main diff gear, part number A-3006. Here is one on eBay now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/373688003734?hash=item57018a6c96:g:A~8AAOSwnPtgfbh8.
Here is an aluminum one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/303835814880?hash=item46be069be0:g:sFQAAOSwaJlf81Lu.
Oh, and while I'm at it, here is a ball bearing version: https://www.ebay.com/itm/303937933837?hash=item46c41cd20d:g:bTQAAOSwjopgYRdU.
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

rnoswal3434
Approved Member

Post by rnoswal3434 »

Wow, thanks for all that. I will probably end up doing as much metal as possible then with those links. I already have the plastic ball bearing gear ordered so I can see how adjusting the slipper calms the wear down. Just have to stick with it and finish the darn thing. It will be my first 4wd car and will be fun with all that traction.

Thanks again

Russ