Tamiya Avante blue chrome plated collector body 30th anniversary

The place for all things re-release Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

TokyoProf
Approved Member

Tamiya Avante blue chrome plated collector body 30th anniversary

Post by TokyoProf »

Offered in 2018, this is a special blue chrome plated body for the Tamiya Avante. This "blue jewelry" is made of unobtanium polycarbonate and come precut from the factory. It was unavailable for purchase in stores. The plating is on the outside, so you have to be very careful with easy scratches.

In commemoration of the 30th anniversary of the legendary Tamiya Avante, the "Tamiya RC Perfect Guide 2018" offered a special limited-time offering of metallic bodies of both the Avante and Hotshot. They were sold as a set for 6800 yen including tax and shipping (unavailable for sale separately) for the magazine readership. They had two metallic bodies, two sets of stickers, but no plastic driver figure, no undercowl. The application was limited to credit card payment due by March 31, 2018, with a limit of two sets per person. Purchase was available only on a special site listed on the order page in the magazine (so only for Japanese readership).

Tamiya's official shop "Tamiya Plamodel Factory" in Shinbashi, Tokyo, had a special RC car body set exhibition for their "Hot Shot Red Metallic Body & Avante Blue Metallic Body" shown below. I look forward to entering the model competition here (for the first time). Maybe I will have a chance.
Attachments
IMG_2758.jpg
IMG_2759 2.jpg
08CE241B-F919-4AD6-852B-94D6F2955A96.jpeg
DCDD9651-B5E8-4E53-9E56-86F49D6354FC.jpeg
4FBB85FA-3C2B-40EE-AC8A-30EB56C95054.jpeg
"Everyone is capable of so much more than they think they are." - Johnny Kim - Navy Seal, Doctor, Astronaut

XLR8
Approved Member

Re: Tamiya Avante blue chrome plated collector body 30th anniversary

Post by XLR8 »

Not really a fan of either car but that metallic finish looks spectacular!
I've noticed other Tamiya models in recent times that were released (or re-released) as "special editions" with metallic color bodies.
Anyway, it looks great.

By the way, a few months ago I saw a 1:1 BMW (or Mercedes?) sports car in my little town that was chrome. A mirror on four wheels. Very strange.
Doug

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

I was middle class at best, but had a rich friend growing up and he had an Avante painted Tamiya Candy Pink and Candy Purple. It is still my favorite paint scheme on an Avante I have seen. Wish I had a pic... :? It was really cool. He had a Lifesavers painted YZ10 also that was really cool. Someone else painted them. After that I started painting all of his bodies for him and the quality really went downhill... :lol: :mrgreen:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:49 pm I was middle class at best, but had a rich friend growing up and he had an Avante painted Tamiya Candy Pink and Candy Purple. It is still my favorite paint scheme on an Avante I have seen. Wish I had a pic... :? It was really cool. He had a Lifesavers painted YZ10 also that was really cool. Someone else painted them. After that I started painting all of his bodies for him and the quality really went downhill... :lol: :mrgreen:
Tell where and how that Avante wound up...and it's demise
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

I don't remember the entire back-story, but I know it's in a landfill now... :(
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

flipwils11 on here had a really nice Avante. His gallery doesn't open any longer, but it was a really cool scheme. Very different.
Ken

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:49 pm I was middle class at best, but had a rich friend growing up and he had an Avante painted Tamiya Candy Pink and Candy Purple. It is still my favorite paint scheme on an Avante I have seen. Wish I had a pic... :? It was really cool. He had a Lifesavers painted YZ10 also that was really cool. Someone else painted them. After that I started painting all of his bodies for him and the quality really went downhill... :lol: :mrgreen:
Lol, looking back on this post, it makes me sound like I was his bitch. :lol: We were great friends and racing partners. I only saw this old post due to the thanks (Thanks TP). David "TheDiamondOne" has a good example of the original paint job we all knew and loved. Maybe he'll post it. :idea:
Ken

TheDiamondOne
Approved Member

Post by TheDiamondOne »

received_5377004625672731.jpeg
This is pactra pearl purple with decals and automotive clearcoat on outside of the body. A blue livery is still hiding underneath.
David, The artist formerly known as coxbros

TokyoProf
Approved Member

Post by TokyoProf »

The pearl pink looks nice!
A few more sparkling blue chrome pics.
Attachments
9159FA53-5DAC-44F6-A64F-0E4C7605D6B4_1_201_a.jpeg
A299ABEC-13BA-40E2-A37F-B375D5C61274_1_105_c.jpeg
"Everyone is capable of so much more than they think they are." - Johnny Kim - Navy Seal, Doctor, Astronaut