Looking for Futaba Magnum PCM FP-T3PB

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

falkin8er

Looking for Futaba Magnum PCM FP-T3PB

Post by falkin8er »

Hi All,

I'm looking to start a build of a vintage dirt oval EDM car, and was hoping to find a Futaba Magnum PCM FP-T3PB radio to go with it. Does anyone know of any leads on one that's in good/working condition? I see them pop up on eBay from time-to-time, but never clear as to whether they're in working condition.

Also, I've seen a number of threads here about converting them to 2.4 Ghz - is there a specific reason for doing this? Is there some issue with running the stock frequency? Apologize if it's a dumb question, I've been out of the hobby for quite a while.

RogueIV

Re: Looking for Futaba Magnum PCM FP-T3PB

Post by RogueIV »

2,4ghz is far more reliable than the crystal based setups. no one will ever be on your channel as the transmitter and receiver are paired together. No glitching, no people jumping on your channel and launching your car into the boards. On top of that it's one less thing you need to worry about at the track. Granted, unless there's other vintage folks you aren't likely to see anyone with a AM or FM radio at the track.
Consistency is the key I keep misplacing.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

RogueIV wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:45 pm 2,4ghz is far more reliable than the crystal based setups. no one will ever be on your channel as the transmitter and receiver are paired together. No glitching, no people jumping on your channel and launching your car into the boards. On top of that it's one less thing you need to worry about at the track. Granted, unless there's other vintage folks you aren't likely to see anyone with a AM or FM radio at the track.
Not really an issue with surface use, but several people with planes have discovered that 2.4ghz has some blind spots. It seems that it is more sensitive to line of sight than older systems.

It appears that many incidents that were thought to be brown-outs were actually the receiver losing signal as the plane passed through a blind spot.

I know that many who race planes had switched back to 72mhz systems. Now, that may have changed, as I don't exactly keep up with that crowd.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

RogueIV

Post by RogueIV »

juicedcoupe wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:14 pm
RogueIV wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:45 pm 2,4ghz is far more reliable than the crystal based setups. no one will ever be on your channel as the transmitter and receiver are paired together. No glitching, no people jumping on your channel and launching your car into the boards. On top of that it's one less thing you need to worry about at the track. Granted, unless there's other vintage folks you aren't likely to see anyone with a AM or FM radio at the track.
Not really an issue with surface use, but several people with planes have discovered that 2.4ghz has some blind spots. It seems that it is more sensitive to line of sight than older systems.

It appears that many incidents that were thought to be brown-outs were actually the receiver losing signal as the plane passed through a blind spot.

I know that many who race planes had switched back to 72mhz systems. Now, that may have changed, as I don't exactly keep up with that crowd.
Not sure how it is with Air models. I stick to the things with wheels. The never really had a issues with anything on 2.4ghz aside from that 1 knockoff transmitter module I tried to use for one of my older JR radios but I think that had a lot to do with it being designed for Air and not Surface.
Consistency is the key I keep misplacing.

falkin8er

Post by falkin8er »

Thanks all for the information. So is it correct to say that there’s no issues with running 75 MHz, it’s just more prone to conflicts?

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

falkin8er wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:58 pm Thanks all for the information. So is it correct to say that there’s no issues with running 75 MHz, it’s just more prone to conflicts?
There are no issues with it. Anymore, the chance of having someone on the same channel is extremely rare.

Out of my 40 cars, only two are 2.4ghz. The rest are 75 and 27 mhz.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.