What gear is this?!

The place for all things Mardave.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Darkmard

What gear is this?!

Post by Darkmard »

IMG_5181.jpeg
This is out of the Mardave Meteor I’m reviving, the larger gear is really worn with the teeth at weird angles in places so I want to replace it, I don’t actually know the name for this type of gear. It’s fixed solid to the shaft, dimensions as follows:
Shaft length 40.71mm
Shaft diameter 3.92mm
Small gear teeth 13
Small gear end 15mm
Small gear toothed part width 8mm
Large gear teeth 22
Large gear end 24mm
Large gear width 5.6mm

Thanks!

RogueIV

Re: What gear is this?!

Post by RogueIV »

Darkmard wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:07 am IMG_5181.jpeg
This is out of the Mardave Meteor I’m reviving, the larger gear is really worn with the teeth at weird angles in places so I want to replace it, I don’t actually know the name for this type of gear. It’s fixed solid to the shaft, dimensions as follows:
Shaft length 40.71mm
Shaft diameter 3.92mm
Small gear teeth 13
Small gear end 15mm
Small gear toothed part width 8mm
Large gear teeth 22
Large gear end 24mm
Large gear width 5.6mm

Thanks!
Not familar with that car but i'd usually call that an idler gear. Its listed as part T60 in the manual but can't find its name. Someone has the manual posted on this site.
Consistency is the key I keep misplacing.

Darkmard

Post by Darkmard »

Thanks, I’d seen the manual but there isn’t a page that talks about the gear box sadly! I’ll hunt around for idler gears and see what I can find though!

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

I believe that the correct term is counter gear.

An idle gear is a single gear that just transfers and reverses rotation.

Having said that, it is probably called something else on the other side of the world.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

Marky

Post by Marky »

I don't think it will be an easy part to find, if you find something you can use then share it please :)

I've been looking at shimano (and other) fishing reel spares to see if I can find any matches for mardave gears... no luck tho :)

Also mardave have sold out of ball raced idler gears and a few other meteor bits... bummer!

Darkmard

Post by Darkmard »

Marky wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:59 am I don't think it will be an easy part to find, if you find something you can use then share it please :)
So I couldn’t find a replacement so made one instead with these two gears
1.0 Mod x 13 Tooth Metric Spur Gear In Hostaform
1.0 Mod x 22 Tooth Metric Spur Gear In Hostaform
On a 4mm steel shaft, the one gear was a 5mm bore so I had to cut a short brass sleeve 5mm OD 4mm ID to fix it together, glued everything as push fit wasn’t tight enough. The ends of the shaft I had to take down a bit to fit inside the bearings. I got the bearings new too, though not actually on the instructions the case is cut perfectly for them SR155-ZZ 3.96875mm x 7.9375mm x 3.175mm

Someone recommended a 17.5T motor, any idea what would be a sensible pinion for this car, measuring the gear it meshes with it needs to be 0.8 MOD but no idea what would be sensible tooth count to use!?

Further update for anyone interested I’ve filled the shocks with silicone oil, there a poor design so irritatingly have air in the mix but they’ll do the job. Also replaced the bronze bushes in the rear wheel wishbones on either side.

Marky

Post by Marky »

I have just ordered a kyosho G27 for mine. Seems to be a decent quality motor and is legal in vintage racing under NZ rules.

Still got the original motor in the car now and it's a bit smokey - think it will be destroyed on the 1st pack through the car.

I have a 17.5t motor in my stock Team Assosciated 6.2 buggy, I think it would reduce the life of the meteor gearbox too much if i put it in the meteor, and it would make me have to race modified vintage if I want to race. It might be fine though, I'm just being careful so I don't need to find parts or spend time building gearbox parts :)

Moggie XL
Approved Member

Post by Moggie XL »

That is the first intermediate gear the second being the gear you mesh the pinion gear to