My RC-10 Buggy

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

JohnH

My RC-10 Buggy

Post by JohnH »

Hey everyone! Very cool that there is a vintage RC10 buggy forum. I've seen some great looking buggys here. I originally bought this buggy from a friend back in the early 90s. This buggy has been sitting in a Kyosho bag for at least 15 years.

I'm not sure how far I'll get, but my goal right now will be to strip it down, clean it, possibly dye the white plastic to black because of the wear marks and to match the graphite chassis, upgrade the electronics, change it's tires and then have some fun running it again.

"The most important part of tinkering is saving all the parts"

Chrominator
Approved Member

Re: My RC-10 Buggy

Post by Chrominator »

Hi John, welcome to the board, your buggy looks great, I personally would not dye your white parts black , unless your planning to turn your buggy into a runner.

Your white parts look good, I think you would be amazed at how well they will clean up.

Check out this thread for some ways to clean your white parts.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4322

Mike
Hi my name is Mike and I'm a Chromaholic, my wheels have been chrome free for over a year, thanks to everyone that made fun of them.

The older I get , the faster I was.

MONSTER
Approved Member

Post by MONSTER »

NICE Tranny Brace!! :wink: To bad a Gold Pan Chassis gave its life for it. :lol: :lol: Still a nice car to start with, will probably clean up pretty good.

y2kgtp
Approved Member

Post by y2kgtp »

Chrominator wrote:Hi John, welcome to the board, your buggy looks great, I personally would not dye your white parts black , unless your planning to turn your buggy into a runner.

Your white parts look good, I think you would be amazed at how well they will clean up.

Check out this thread for some ways to clean your white parts.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4322

Mike
Thanks for that cleaning link....I have been using Simple green, but just might try some bleach too....I have a 5 gal bucket in the garage that is 50/50% water/bleach mixture from cleaning up my fence.....I think I might drop some parts in for a bit..... :mrgreen:

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

MONSTER wrote:NICE Tranny Brace!! :wink: To bad a Gold Pan Chassis gave its life for it. :lol: :lol:
nah...... just a nose plate. :wink:

i wouldn't dye the stuff black. just give it a good cleanin', put it back together, and have some fun. :)

MONSTER
Approved Member

Post by MONSTER »

scr8p wrote:
MONSTER wrote:NICE Tranny Brace!! :wink: To bad a Gold Pan Chassis gave its life for it. :lol: :lol:
nah...... just a nose plate. :wink:
Oops!! Are you sue though, dont the Chassis and the Nose Plate have the same holes?

call-911
Approved Member

Post by call-911 »

Ditto what the others have said about keep the white parts white if they're in decent condition. The only reason to dye them at this point would be if you got a car where someone had dyed them another color already. If you really wanted, you could pick up black molded RC10 parts relatively cheaper for the all black look. Post more pics when you get it done!
Keith C

nicefrog
Approved Member

Post by nicefrog »

Nice RC10 John, apart from my stealth team car I have another one that needs a big cleanup and a few parts, it's just like this one of yours, carbon chasis style but perhaps not quite as original as this one

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

The chassis in the pictures above appears to be a Composite Craft RC10 chassis. The graphite AE chassis has a weave pattern to it very identifiable. The nose plate looks like it was cut to make a gold front bumper. Cleaned up this will be a beautiful car and I vote with the others not to dye the white parts it will be great with the white left alone but nicely cleaned. Welcome to the board.

This is all very interesting!

MONSTER
Approved Member

Post by MONSTER »

I knew there was something funny about that Nose. Were the Gaphite Chassis' never "supposed" to have a Nose Plate?

Sounds like something I might have come up with, considering something I have going right now. :wink:

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

That Black Magic motor is sweet too. :D
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

JohnH

Post by JohnH »

Thanks for welcomes and the feedback.

I'll keep the parts white if they clean up good. I'll try that Iron Out as suggested by the link. The pics in that thread turned out very good.

Under the gold nose plate is a very worn composite nose (no graphite weave is correct), so the gold plate was put on to reduce that wear when jumping around the street at the time. I'm going to replace all of the chassis mount screws since most are very worn from bottoming out onto concrete. I 'm hoping to find those at Lowes.

As far as the gold plate over the tranny. I'm not sure if thats a stock part or not.

I'm not sure what the specs are for the Black Magic motor yet, but I had planned on keeping it in there for now.
"The most important part of tinkering is saving all the parts"

y2kgtp
Approved Member

Post by y2kgtp »

Do you guys think it is the Iron-out, or the bleach that really whitens up the parts? I would put the money on the bleach....

fastang
Approved Member

Post by fastang »

MONSTER wrote:I knew there was something funny about that Nose. Were the Graphite Chassis' never "supposed" to have a Nose Plate?

Sounds like something I might have come up with, considering something I have going right now. :wink:

Thats correct, graphite/composite chassis' never had nose plates. I've seen some where you would actually use the complete nose plate. Some companies did this because its hard to get the kick up in a piece of graphite.