Blinkinger! - Earliest Edinger by Original Owner out of ....

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Blinkinger! - Earliest Edinger by Original Owner out of ....

Post by Y'ernat Al »

First of all, impressivly organized board. It's gotten me inspired to takle a restoration of my old RC10, pulled from the parent's attic a few years back.

A little background, my first RC car I got for my 13th birthday, was a Tamiya Super Champ (whole 'nother restoration saga - no room for that one here).

Although I was only 13, I got regular rides out to Radio Controlled Hobbies (RCH) in Costa Mesa on 19th street, buying hop up/replacement parts as fast as I would break them (and my allowance would allow). I still remember finding out about RCH through an article in Truckin' magazine of all things, where the mag had done a little mock review of a Tamiya XLT SRB, outfitted with the coil overs, aluminum outers etc.

In the midst of thes occasional trip out to the rch track to bash the srb around, I caught wind of this buzz that began to circulate about this new car under development from Associated Electronics. And I remmeber spying photos of the prototypes too, on flyers and such. Well AE was just down the freeway from the RCH shop, and naturally, Ron Williams (the owner of RCH - I still remember his name) was in on the hype. In the RCH shop one day, I don't remember exactly how, but I managed to convince dear old dad to put us on the advance list to receive one of the first shipment anticipated to arrive into the RCH shop. The car had yet to be released, and something tells me RCH had ordered a couple hundered or something, which seemed like a whole lot to a 14 year old!

So I got one, and raced it a bit in 1985, Del Mar down at the southern version of the RPS, and out at Ascot in Gardena once. By early 1986, I got a drivers licence, so the RC went into boxes as 1:1 cars seemed way more interesting to play with.

Fast forward and after restoring my Super Champ, I found this here board and realized proper restoration of my old RC-10 would be a blast. Although it's used and somewhat altered at the hands of a 15 year old, it is an "Earliest Edinger" and it's got a ton of sentimental value worth preserving. I broke everthing down and took stock of what I got.

I'm going to periodically account for the progress in this post, encouraging interaction with anyone interested. I'm sure I could learn a thing or two from more than a couple of the folks here.....Ebay here I come :roll:

P. S. Congrats in advance to the first person to comment on the holes....I was 15 for chissakes!
- Brian -

My Gallery

RC10resto

Re: Earliest Edinger by Original Owner out of South OC, CA

Post by RC10resto »

Great story and nice car. I am one who really doesn't like drilled out chassis' but you did a good job, I kind of like it. Your car will look like a cool "period" race car, can't wait to see it back together.
I sold my early Edinger (with the chassis cleanly cut down - we all did mods) in 1990 to purchase my Graphite Team car, all I have left of it is the paper work, box and one scratched up pale gold nose.............
I have since purchased another Edinger, but it is not quite the same - i will never sell my original Team car, it has been cleaned up but mechanically untouched since it's last race sometime around 1993.
Have fun rebuilding it!

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

This is a prime exaample of the dangers of a 15 year old with a drill bit :D

Welcome to the board, you might as well hand over the wallet now becuase your going to see all the stuff you wish you had as a kid.

Jim

aeiou
Approved Member

Post by aeiou »

Very nice. Thanks for sharing your story and welcome to the board. Other than a prototype, I don’t think they get much earlier than your Edinger. :D

I'm looking forward to following along with your restoration. While we make poke 8) fun at you about the holes, hey, that’s what folks did BITD. I think it would be great rebuilt using the parts you have for an “as-raced” example of a super-early RC10.

-

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

Gotta luv the cheese grater huh? Remember that practice was leftover from the SRB's and Scorpions running around all drilled out. I figure at least I payed some attention to the alignment, and refrained form the bottom because I didn't want the dirt dusting out the electronics.

I polished up the shock bodies, as they were pretty rough from spring wear and stuff. First thing I noticed relative to some newer RC10 parts I have laying around. (I picked up a 6 gear graphite a year or so ago, bassically just for the chassis, thinking I might use it for parts someday, but turns out I'll only be using it for camparison purposes).

Anyway, I note the damper plungers (6464) have a single slot design, (like old red 1/8 scale kyoshos). It may be that that's another thing that changed relatively quickly to the more common dual hole (symetrical) design? This is fun!

- Brian -

My Gallery

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

well, i know i've never seen those shocks piston before, except in the manual. i also know i'd LOVE to have that battery pack. :mrgreen:

your trans brace, is it nylon or fiberglass?

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

The trans brace is nylon (why do I get the feeling I may have just ended a too-long running debate? :wink: )

I do have a couple more stick packs SCR8P, but not in the cosmetic shape of the one in the photo though :(
- Brian -

My Gallery

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Y'ernat Al wrote:The trans brace is nylon (why do I get the feeling I may have just ended a too-long running debate? :wink: )
well, i'm pretty sure yours is the earliest one on the board. or atleast top 3. in the manual, the car is shown with a fiberglass trans brace. but, i don't believe anyone has seen one come in a kit.
Y'ernat Al wrote:I do have a couple more stick packs SCR8P, but not in the cosmetic shape of the one in the photo though :(
thanks, but i want one just like the one in your pic. that's in real nice shape. i need it for my halsey replica.
Attachments
IMG_3725.JPG

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

Opps! Shame on the site admin for trying to engage in buy/sell/trade on the wrong board :lol:
- Brian -

My Gallery

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Y'ernat Al wrote:Opps! Shame on the site admin for trying to engage in buy/sell/trade on the wrong board :lol:
hey, i said i'd love to have it....... not buy it. i just expected you to give it to me. :P :wink:

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

I just noticed how my body has a JG sticker front and center, and is also #4 :o . I may have been doing a little mimicry bitd? Nice car SCR8P!
- Brian -

My Gallery

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

Here are some left over traces of my Early Edinger that I purchased in the summer of 1985. Mine must of come from an early AE shipment - the store I bought it from was only about 50 miles north of 1928 E. Edinger.

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

Look What I found! Actually my parents handed this pic over to me this thanksgiving. Christmas 1984...knowing I've been into the old rc10..

Don't ask why I ain't smiling bigger. This car was one of the first "batch" available at RCH (Radio Controlled Hobbies) on 19th Street in Costa Mesa. So to answer the question about when in 1984 did the car hit the stores, it was later in the year, in the fall, in time for Christmas, subsequent to theROAR Nats in Viineland the previous summer
- Brian -

My Gallery

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

That's cool!!!!! And the pic is in good shape as well, all mine from BITD are all beat up-

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Thanks so much for posting this picture!
This is absolutely awesome.
I'm gonna paitently wait for the day when you finish putting back together your car.