A peek into the Harris garage

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

markt311
Approved Member

Re: A peek into the Harris garage

Post by markt311 »

Jeff, one quick question. How are you adapting the B4 wing mounts? I see they are on all of your cars.
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

I drill 2 holes in the shock tower to attach the front of the mounts. Then I drill and tap the motor plate for a 4/40 screw. I then use plastic washers between the mounts so that I can tighten the 4/40 screw enough to hold the bottom of the mounts snug against the motor plate.
Attachments
wing mts.jpg

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

That is a great idea, thanks!

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

I use the shock towers made by Atlas. As those of you who use them know, they are perfect in every way. Although I am putting 2 holes in them, they have never cracked or broken as a result. With all the racing we do with our cars, we have had some pretty awesome crashes too. (we all saw the car killer jump) Even with the stress of the crashes, no problems.

My point is not to fear a reduction in structural integrity by drilling the shock tower.

Claymore5150
Approved Member

Post by Claymore5150 »

Hey Jeff, I have just a couple questions for you, being the racing guru that you are.

On you B4 Wingmounts, I don't see any washer/spacers between the tower and the posts. I've got a B4 mount on my original 94CE tower and I'm either going to have to trim the wing down, drill different holes, or add spacers to the tower-mounting side. (luckily I haven't tapped the plate side yet!)

Also, I get (17yrs worth, they're all original) a lot of binding on the front suspension. Balls/cups are definitely the culprit. I've cleaned out the cups, even did some light grinding to the insides but they are still binding pretty bad. I've heard polishing with toothpaste as a recommendation for the balls, but any other suggestions short of buying new ball cups?

I put bearings all over, upgraded to an original MIP BB steering (which won't do any good until I get the binding issue fixed), the 2.2 wheels from the UK with calibers on all 4 corners, complete shock rebuild, blue ano team hardware, the original battery cups were already chopped so they're in use. Pro body, B4 wing, b4 gear cover...still original stealth slipper though. Haven't upgraded YET to the B4.

It's going to be pretty nice. I should have the body painted and everything ready to rock by next week and will be able to post some pics in the forum.

I just wanted to pick your brain for a couple solutions. Thanks!
Itchy Trigger Finger and RC Throttle Junkie
R.O.C.C.K. Proud Member
B.B.R.C. Proud Member

94CErunner/T2runner/2wd Slash LCG/

heretic
Approved Member

Post by heretic »

This grey rc10 is ... great. I can't wait to see the finished results. I like guys who actually run their vintage cars, but they are rarely as clean as yours.

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

Quick tip on the ball cups. If your ball cups are definatelly the culprit this is what to do. With them mounted on the car and balls inside, give them (the plastic portion of the cup) a little squeeze with a pair of pliers. This will stretch the plastic slightly. this should free them up. No grinding, polishing, or even removing them. Fast and easy. Sometimes it takes more than one squeeze, but you should quickly get the hang of it. Be careful, and don't squeeze too hard as this will stretch them too much. -Jeff

Claymore5150
Approved Member

Post by Claymore5150 »

Awesome tip! Thanks, will give it a shot this evening. I'm grinning ear to ear.
Itchy Trigger Finger and RC Throttle Junkie
R.O.C.C.K. Proud Member
B.B.R.C. Proud Member

94CErunner/T2runner/2wd Slash LCG/