Sneak peek at my newest GT conversion

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mAdMan
Approved Member

Sneak peek at my newest GT conversion

Post by mAdMan »

This is gonna be a jumping basher

mAdMan
Approved Member

Re: Sneak peek at my newest GT conversion

Post by mAdMan »

Just finished. Man is she fast and nimble. Only 2 very minor issues I couldn't resolve yet. I can't locate 1/4x1/2x3/16 bearings for the RPM rear hubs that utilize the CVDs. I had 2 frozen bearings. So there is one CVD and one dog bone until I order the bearings online. And I need to fix a proper battery tray.

mAdMan
Approved Member

Post by mAdMan »

I'm not sure on the year but it is a raw aluminum square chassis RC10GT. This one has a little more work done by me, and a LOT of RPM parts from the previous owner. It utilizes a T4 transmission's main shaft, T4 87 tooth spur gear, and T4 dual slipper clutch system. All packed into the GT's stock transmission case. The motor plate is T4. Motor is a Reedy 3300kv utilizing a 24 tooth pinion. Speed control is a Reedy sc500-BL and the steering servo is a Futaba s3003. Receiver is a XP TRS403-ssi 2.4ghz and the transmitter is a XP3g. With a 3s 30c 3200mAh hobby people battery and Pro-Line beadlocks bolted to Pro-Line Street Fighter tires, she wheelies on command at anything under 30mph.

Videos coming soon

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

I like it. Only thing I'd add myself is a rear chassis brace by new horizon(?). I think its new horizon anyway...got it off ebay. I don't have a picture right off hand but it went on my last one I sold and haven't had a chance to build my replacement yet. Looks kinda like a rollbar on a truck. The nitro motor mounts acts as a chassis stiffener/brace back there and without it mine bent pretty easily at the notch in the chassis for the motor when doing some mild jumps with it at the local track.

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

mAdMan
Approved Member

Post by mAdMan »

klavy69 wrote:I like it. Only thing I'd add myself is a rear chassis brace by new horizon(?). I think its new horizon anyway...got it off ebay. I don't have a picture right off hand but it went on my last one I sold and haven't had a chance to build my replacement yet. Looks kinda like a rollbar on a truck. The nitro motor mounts acts as a chassis stiffener/brace back there and without it mine bent pretty easily at the notch in the chassis for the motor when doing some mild jumps with it at the local track.

Todd
Todd thank you for the advise. I am using a shaven down rear engine mount to bolt the trans to the chassis (not threaded, so basically a washer). The trans is stiff but you are correct the chassis is not.

I am now thinking of forming some sheet stainless to complete the chassis tub opening where the engine sat. Screw it together with nylocks.

How does that sound?

Thanks again.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

I would make a chassis brace that is a piece of aluminum that ties into the top of the trans, wraps around the motor, to the chassis floor where those holes are. Make it at least 3/32" and about as wide as the trans at the top, wider at the bottom.

or perhaps some tie rods from the top of the trans to the sides of the chassis if possible.

klavy69

Post by klavy69 »

mAdMan wrote:

I am now thinking of forming some sheet stainless to complete the chassis tub opening where the engine sat. Screw it together with nylocks.

How does that sound?

Thanks again.
that would help. This would help also...maybe a combination of the 2 ideas:
jwscab wrote:I would make a chassis brace that is a piece of aluminum that ties into the top of the trans, wraps around the motor, to the chassis floor where those holes are. Make it at least 3/32" and about as wide as the trans at the top, wider at the bottom.

or perhaps some tie rods from the top of the trans to the sides of the chassis if possible.
The brace I had I can't find anymore. My pix on my old pc are gone til I can get it up and going. Can't find the brace on ebay anymore and have no links to the sites I used to have. What it consisted of is primarily some steel tubing that I believe mounted from the top of the trans brace and split off to 2 points that went to either side of the chassis wrapping around to the front of the motor/pipe on one side and IIRC mounted down in front of the throttle servo on the other. Part that sucks is I was gonna pick another brace up for the replacement e-conversion that just never got off the ground :cry: .

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

is that a conversion motor plate or a B4 plate you modified?

mAdMan
Approved Member

Post by mAdMan »

jwscab wrote:is that a conversion motor plate or a B4 plate you modified?
It's a modified plate from a parts car t4 I have

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

I believe Todd is talking about the New Era chassis brace/roll bar. It's no longer made, but they do show up on eBay from time to time.

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

You could just run a small brace or tie rod from the motor mount to the chassis. Nice conversion btw.

klavy69

Post by klavy69 »

justinspeed79 wrote:I believe Todd is talking about the New Era chassis brace/roll bar. It's no longer made, but they do show up on eBay from time to time.
I knew Mr.GT would know what I was talkin about :mrgreen: . I couldn't remember if it was New Era or not but justinspeed was a mod at the board where I seen the first pix of those braces so I'm glad he checked in to verify for me :wink: . I've gotta keep an eye out for one on ebay now since I thought it would never do what I needed it to but once I put it on with a lil bit of modification it took all the flex outta that area and it held up great. I just can't find pictures anywhere of one anymore.

Yes, I've seen some nice ideas with turnbuckles and tie rods like jwscab mentioned so we may both may be into having to go that route.

Todd

mAdMan
Approved Member

Post by mAdMan »

I will keep a look out thanks guys!