Cougar2 WORKS helpful trans mods

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Bormac
Approved Member

Cougar2 WORKS helpful trans mods

Post by Bormac »

Just thought i'd share some of the helpful trans mods I use to get my Cougar2 transmissions running sweet.
1. I like to redrill the side plates to accomodate some slightly larger diameter screws which i found at 'Jaycar'. I find the original ones tend to strip the drive fixing easily enough making it hard to tighten or loosen the screw.

2.The diff tensioning screw has a small cap which fits over it but when i need to make a quick trackside adjustment i find this gets in my way. The manual says nothing about any kind of tension washers and after reading through the topcat manual i realised that Schumacher forgot these in the later Cougar2 manual. i kept wondering why my diff would loosen off under load and my plastic outdrives were melting against the red hot alloy diff outdrives. So I decided to run 4 washers opposing one another and a foam ball cup dust protector. It seems to do the job real well and i can easily make adjustments when in a hurry.

3.I'd heard that the team drivers used to cut away a section from the trasmission centre to allow the belt more clearance where it would usually rub-as pictured below

...and it kinda makes sense to cover the opening again this time with a small peice of lexan. Aided by the thickness of the double sided tape this allows just enough room for the belt to glide right past without any unwanted friction.

4. Possibly the easiest and most productive way of keeping the inside of the transmission clean and 'Rock Free' I came up with the idea to create a foam gasket for the base of the transmission where it bolts to the chassis. This definately works a treat, I used to end up with all kinds of debri in there at one point but now days my internals stay nice and clean.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

GJW
Approved Member

Re: Cougar2 WORKS helpful trans mods

Post by GJW »

man! this would have to be some of the wildest stuff ive read on here to date :mrgreen: .. just kidding, excellent tips from the guru himself.. i feel honoured..thanks very much

Bender

Post by Bender »

Hi Jase, they were all standard mods we used to do when we were running the Cougars :wink:

The best one however was to cut between 1 and 2mm off the belt to make it narrower - made the car quite a lot better, though I'm not too sure if it would handle todays brushless motors :shock:

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

There are still a few other mods that I haven't yet put up which also go into making a sweeter transmission .Schumacher CAT rear belts would be narrower too.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

autoxvw
Approved Member

Post by autoxvw »

jason,
I tried the cone washer trick on the diff screw and it works great as well as cutting the back side of the trans housing so the belt does not rub. you said you have other helpful mods........I think we have waited long enough (almost 2 mon) :lol: :P