B5 and B5m discussion.....

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Re: This was on AE Facebook page...

Post by slotcarrod »

justinspeed79 wrote:
That body.... WTF? WTF IS GOING ON WITH BODIES THESE DAYS??? This is is driving me crazy! Hard to not feel some disdain for Associated after looking at that atrocity.
I know, I really hate them too, but they do work well giving better front down force hence better steering! I have to use one! :cry:

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

They may in fact work better (I have my doubts) but I'd rather just have a little less handling than to have something that ugly. That's just not an option for me.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

I couldn't (and still can't) stand forward cab bodies. This is why I made this body fit my T4.2.

I'd make a viper, B3 or early B4 body fit in any way possible.
Attachments
M2u1NGzh-1.jpg
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

That's the nicest looking T4.2 I've ever seen.
What happened to stadium truck bodies? I miss designs like this: http://img54.exs.cx/img54/7788/BodyOn.jpg
That's why I use Stampede bodies on my stadium trucks, there are still some great ones.
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

I have serious doubts about these new bodies working better than the old ones. I have yet to see anyone do any serious testing on them. I wonder if any of the manufacturer's have done any wind tunnel testing? I doubt it. I think that they already know what many of us suspect, the shape of the body makes very little difference at all on an off road rc race car, and if you can win a race with one of these new bodies you could most likely win the same race with a cardboard box taped to the top of your car.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Bolink was doing windtunnel testing in the early 80's so the equipment and ability is out there.

Instead of a cab forward for front downforce how about a sidewinder? :lol:
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Blacktiger355
Approved Member

Post by Blacktiger355 »

RCCA has some more detailed info and pics! Must say it looks very nice!

http://www.rccaraction.com/blog/2013/12/28/team-associated-b5-and-b5m-full-details/

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

justinspeed79 wrote:I have serious doubts about these new bodies working better than the old ones. I have yet to see anyone do any serious testing on them. I wonder if any of the manufacturer's have done any wind tunnel testing? I doubt it. I think that they already know what many of us suspect, the shape of the body makes very little difference at all on an off road rc race car, and if you can win a race with one of these new bodies you could most likely win the same race with a cardboard box taped to the top of your car.
Phat Bodies use a wind tunnel to test their bodies for micro buggies like the Losi Mini-8ight. Even in 1/14th scale there is a noticeable difference between bodies. They discovered even with the micro buggies at speed there is a significant amount of aerodynamic lift on the front end, which the cab forwards bodies help to counteract with the tall front windscreen, plus it gives the airflow time to smooth out before hitting the rear wing.

The top drivers notice a difference in handling, and those are the people who have developed and tested these bodies. When you consider they also notice a 5w change in oil if they consider them better then there must be something in it.

If the cab forward bodies really made no difference then the manufacturers would make bodies that make the buggies look a lot prettier than the monstrosities they are now. Unfortunately it means we are stuck with these bodies for the near future.

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Re: B5 and B5m discussion.....

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Phat Bodies use a wind tunnel to test their bodies for micro buggies like the Losi Mini-8ight. Even in 1/14th scale there is a noticeable difference between bodies. They discovered even with the micro buggies at speed there is a significant amount of aerodynamic lift on the front end, which the cab forwards bodies help to counteract with the tall front windscreen, plus it gives the airflow time to smooth out before hitting the rear wing.

The top drivers notice a difference in handling, and those are the people who have developed and tested these bodies. When you consider they also notice a 5w change in oil if they consider them better then there must be something in it.

If the cab forward bodies really made no difference then the manufacturers would make bodies that make the buggies look a lot prettier than the monstrosities they are now. Unfortunately it means we are stuck with these bodies for the near future.
And on that point, the speeds you reach will dictate whether there is any advantage in using a particular body.

At our local indoor, it's just too darn tight for aerodynamics to factor in (25'x40'). Even my destroyer buggy (3,300KV on 3S, 24/81 gearing 2.25 stealth) can't hit speeds over ~15 MPH and still be able to slow down in time for a turn. At such low speeds, body design really isn't a factor.

On the other hand, you get out on a track where you can hit 30 or 40 MPH, yeah, it makes a difference.
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

ca-rj
Approved Member

Post by ca-rj »

I can tell you that the cab forward bodies made a huge different in front end grip on my Tamiya TRF201. The JConcepts Finisher body in particular made a dramatic improvement. They might be ugly, but they are a necessary evil if one wants to be competitive.
RC10 Short Arm | Novak Tempest ESC | Tamiya Torque Tuned 25T | Savox 1258 | Stealth Trans w/ Exotek Slipper Eliminator (geared 24/81)
RC10B3 | HW Just Stock Club Spec | Reedy 13.5 | Savox 1258

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

I think a engine bay say mid rear would help the look of a cab forward body especially on the b5m :mrgreen: Maybe Weber stacks or a S/C blower? Just saying :lol:
-Kevin

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

ca-rj wrote:I can tell you that the cab forward bodies made a huge different in front end grip on my Tamiya TRF201. The JConcepts Finisher body in particular made a dramatic improvement. They might be ugly, but they are a necessary evil if one wants to be competitive.
They really do, and it really doesn't matter what the track is like. They just plain work better which should come as no surprise now to, well- anyone.

The amount of overall steering increase everywhere allows you to drive more aggressively everywhere, the increased air over the rear wing also adds rear grip...everywhere. The cars also jump flatter on-throttle, and in high and low speed sections. And lastly, it's about your only current option :lol:

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Should just run a clear front wing and not crash. It would be prettier. :oops:

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

Cab forward bodies don't look great, but they look better than clear front wings.
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

85Edinger wrote:Cab forward bodies don't look great, but they look better than clear front wings.
I'd take a front wing over a dodge caravan dune buggy any day of the week :mrgreen: :lol:

predators were pure sex
Attachments
image.jpg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website