ROAR Nationals on SPEED channel?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

badhoopty
Approved Member

Re: ROAR Nationals on SPEED channel?

Post by badhoopty »

RER40 wrote:Not looking to start a fight here, but........
but what...?

is that like saying to your wife; "I'm not looking to have sex with your sister, but..."

:roll:

RERE40, i asked nicely for everybody to chill out, but i kinda sorta specifically meant YOU.

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

Remember this one phrase when you start to feel butt hurt about what someone has written.

"Arguing on an internet message board is like running in the special olympics. Sure you may win but your still a retard"

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Somewhere Obama is saying "How come Sho can get away with that?" :lol: :lol:
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

RER40
Approved Member

Post by RER40 »

MelvinsArmy wrote:RER40, is that signature really necessary?
You're quite right - but when I went to fix it my sigline "privileges" had been disabled. :lol:

badhoopty wrote:
RER40 wrote:Not looking to start a fight here, but........
but what...?

is that like saying to your wife; "I'm not looking to have sex with your sister, but..."

:roll:

RERE40, i asked nicely for everybody to chill out, but i kinda sorta specifically meant YOU.

The use of the premise is another way of POLITELY saying "I respectfully disagree with you, but....have an opinon that differs from your...."

Looking back at this thread the discussion was purely civil and very adult-like on the first page, everyone just discussing (it is the internet, and this is a discussion board) -- and the tone didn't change until a couple of the boys decided to jump on the bandwagon against my opinion and call me out directly.
From there all I was doing was defending myself as the attacks got more personal and the discussion more heated. :roll: I've subsequently received a number of PMs from other members not only agreeing with me, but telling me to ignore the babies and hotheads.

:roll: I apologize to all if I went a bit over the top, but it didn't start with me. :wink: :mrgreen:

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

Do us all a favor and just go away.

RER40
Approved Member

Post by RER40 »

bngiles wrote:Do us all a favor and just go away.
Yes ma'am :roll:

Do you want your secret decoder ring, sandbucket and shovel, ball, and cheese to go with that whine too?
:lol:

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

RER40 no offense, but your delivery could be a little more smooth. There is a lot of knowledge and a lot of different opinions among the members of this board. Your delivery can be a little high and mighty at times, even condescending. I'm not writing this to scold or as a warning, just a little food for thought. Take it easy man. As for those PM's you've recieved supporting your point of view, let it be known that the admin has also received PM's about you and let's just say they did not support your POV. You are good at stirring things up and you do make valid and refreshing points from time to time. It is good to stir things up, but only when it's done in a respectful manner. Just try not to take things personally or too seriously out here on the boards.

This goes for everyone: We're all friends (even if we haven't met in person yet) so let's try to treat each other that way. If you feel that you've been crossed or insulted, just take the high road. If it's something serious, or you are really upset about something or someone, just let us know.

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Wow, this was a full-on five-alarm panties in a bunch thread if I've ever seen one. I guess it's about time, these things run in cycles and we haven't had this much drama here in a while.

RER40 - time to switch to decaf. We all enjoy and encourage different points of view but seriously don't take everything so personally. We all rib each other and don't mean any disrespect.

fordtransman
Approved Member

Post by fordtransman »

I have a lot of great memories in this HOBBY. According to my brother, the 2 boxes at my moms that have my HeMan and RC cars has been found. This weekend, I may be pulling out a YZ834b Yellow box with a LOT Of stuff in it.

My son is almost 10. I want to see him have fun and enjoy some of the times I had. I have spent some time researching and reviewing the current line up of product. Joel Johnson and Gil Losi Jr. are at KYOSHO? AE has been sold to Thunder Tiger? I would have never thought....

So, for under 200 bucks I can get my son a RTR kit that actually has support at the LHS and RaceTracks... And Im sorry, its not an AE, Losi, or Kyosho.

Back in 1989, Traxxas was an entry level vehicle that you could take out and BASH, trying to learn how these things work.

As not much has changed, it is probable that my sons first ride will be a SLASH RTR.

Or did everyone want me to spend a grand upfront? It seems that you cant make a hobby grade car go down the street for less then that these days.

Everyone needs to just sit back, relax, and take apart some RC cars... :)

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

The Slash will be perfect for your son. Pick one up and the 2 of you come out to Pegasus and have a blast. My 7 year old son is racing his in the Novice class at Pegasus. While he isnt that great of a driver, he is a fierce competitor and his coordination improves with each track visit.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

RER40
Approved Member

Post by RER40 »

fordtransman wrote:So, for under 200 bucks I can get my son a RTR kit that actually has support at the LHS and RaceTracks... And Im sorry, its not an AE, Losi, or Kyosho.

As not much has changed, it is probable that my sons first ride will be a SLASH RTR.

Or did everyone want me to spend a grand upfront? It seems that you cant make a hobby grade car go down the street for less then that these days.
RTRs, regardless of the brand, are just fine for bashing. Most of the companies nowadays offer more RTRs than anything, and they all have comperable electronics.

Sure you can go over-budget and spend a grand - and unfortunately the first thing guys do is spend too much on a radio to eliminate the inevitable radio frequency conflicts that happen to all the RTRers on their first trip to the track - but I've never seen anyone need to spend a grand upfront.

The Slash is an option to get your son to the track, as long as you replace the radio, or you could get a SC10 and put in some radio gear most RCers have lying around left over from a previous build for about the same amount of money.

This topic has strayed from it's intended topic......... so what about the ROAR racing Nationals on the Speed Channel?

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

You guys need to take this out on the track! :roll:

Use the chrome horn or something and get it over with! :mrgreen:

As for Traxxas, they have done wonders for reviving electric racing again with the Slash! However I do understand the different points of view from certain members.

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

fordtransman wrote:As not much has changed, it is probable that my sons first ride will be a SLASH RTR.
I have a Slash that I race in a spec class at the local track. I can also let my kids, my nephews and anyone else have a go at it and not worry about it. It's a very good 1st r/c and the 50% mode on the ESC is great for kids (and adults) to learn how to stay on the track.

Personally I race a XL-1 Rustler in mod truck. I did get a used brushless system to try this year, but for the last two I ran inexpensive 13-17t brushed motors with a Futaba MC800C esc I got for less than $45. I won our summer points series. I had some wins, a lot of 2nd and 3rds, but I rarely DNF. They are tough toys- I have run at least 20 race days on the same set of a-arms and in 2 seasons I have only replaced a few parts from normal wear. :wink:

I also run all stock radios (read: cheap) in everything I have. I can't remember the last time I had any radio issues and at the track I use split crystals so that the newer guys can run the stock 6 and not have to keep changing.

What day and channel is this race coverage going to be on? :mrgreen:
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

I have a lot of great memories in this HOBBY. According to my brother, the 2 boxes at my moms that have my HeMan and RC cars has been found.
my 2 favorite collections are HEMAN(in my mind the best action figures ever) and RC cars.. lots af great memories 8)

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

Back to the original subject of this thread....

I would love to see any kind of R/C race televised. Whether it be on Speed, or whatever channel would pick it up. They need to include how friendly (most of the time) the people who parttake in this hobby really are and how new racers can come out and have fun AND get support from their fellow racers. Lots of other powered racing venues have participants that are very standoffish and hush hush. Thus making it sometimes difficult to start in that field unless you have a good ole buddy who can show you the ropes. My biggest hurdle I faced when I was younger and heard about R/C racing was just getting out there for the first time and seeing how everything works and how I could fit in. One trip is usually all it takes!

One other thing I would like to see is a better way of discriminating between the different cars. Sure we probably know the difference between Drake's car and Mayfield's, but, the general public does not. Make it easy to know who is racing for contention.... Large numbers on the cars, or something. Otherwise it is like watching a group of people play a real life video game. (boring)

I personally dont care for Traxxas products. However, you can't fault them for their urge to get into mainstream more. It makes good business sense. Plus most of their products are geared for the entry level hobbyist anyway. I can fault them for moving all of their production to Asia to maximize their profits, lowering their costs and undercutting many of the U.S. made manufacturers. BUT how many times have you seen some dude come to the track for the first time with a Bandit in 2wd buggy, and then 3 weeks later he stepped up to a B4 or whatever to be more competitive.....