Acme Cyclone 1/10 Onroad Rebuild

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

YakkityYak
Approved Member

Acme Cyclone 1/10 Onroad Rebuild

Post by YakkityYak »

I'm baaaack!

After a Hiatus, and working my behind off, I've finally gotten me another good car. But I got bit by a bug between then and now...

The Speed Bug.

So here I am, scrolling through Ebay, and I find this Gem. Cheap. Minus motor. Needs work. Aka perfect for me. Still no clue what brand or model it is. Any ideas?

Throw a few bids on her, not much competition, ended up getting it for 16 bucks.

Best Part? Nitro! No Soldering!

And here is what will be the heart of the beast. Now this I splurged a bit on, but in my own honest opinion, I think I got a heckuva deal. Plus it should take her up plenty high into the double digits.

This is a Novarossi .21 Kangaroo, 9 port version.

Also picked up some Mother's Mag Polish to shine this Alu. Chassis right on up. Should be fun.
Losi - Mint-T
Associated - RC10 (x2)

GoMachV

Re: Acme Cyclone 1/10 Onroad Rebuild

Post by GoMachV »

If I were a betting man I’d say it fits in the Kyosho Superten series but I don’t know where
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

YakkityYak
Approved Member

Post by YakkityYak »

GoMachV wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:04 pm If I were a betting man I’d say it fits in the Kyosho Superten series but I don’t know where
After looking at Images of the Kyosho Superten, it does look quite similar. This one has a plastic upper deck, and plastic pipe. (FW03? FW04? Maybe one of these. I'm not familiar with Kyosho, but I do like their Dodge Hellcat and Demon cars.)

Here's a small update before I head off to bed.

Yuck...This thing is crusty.

Diff! (The F&R riffs are both the same, just with different arms.)

It's got a 2 speed! (Main reason I bought it.)

Ahhh! Much better! Now to sand her down to a real fine grit and then polish the heck outta her!

Here's how she sits currently. Not too shabby for a couple hours work.
(Yeah...my "workbench" *cough* ex dining-room table *cough* is a bit messy. But I know where everything is sooo...it stays like this!)

Plans are for now just get it running decent under it's own power, then I'll start the modding process. I'm thinking custom carbon upper deck, light milling of the chassis, and some precision cutting with my dremel.
Losi - Mint-T
Associated - RC10 (x2)

YakkityYak
Approved Member

Post by YakkityYak »

Just grabbed the last set of Team Power Universals Kyosho had in stock! Guess they wanted to get rid of them because they were on sale for 6 bucks! Cha-Ching! Now I just need another set.

Body Wise...I've got a plan. One of my favorite cars of all-time. Let's just say it'll have a wing.

A big wing.
Losi - Mint-T
Associated - RC10 (x2)

YakkityYak
Approved Member

Post by YakkityYak »

Sat Down today for a lil bit of work. Polished the Chassis.

And as for the Engine...Sheeeee's a bit big...

I'll make it work. If I can shoehorn a .61 in a .40 sized plane, I can fit a .21 that came with a .18
Losi - Mint-T
Associated - RC10 (x2)

YakkityYak
Approved Member

Post by YakkityYak »

So...Did some measurements, and the Hexes are 12mm. Which I think means this is an FW03? From what I understand the hexes on the FW04 are 14mm hexes.

If this indeed turns out to be a Kyosho. Is there a way to move it to the Kyosho area of the forum?
Losi - Mint-T
Associated - RC10 (x2)

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

Easy one, it's an Acme Cyclone. It comes with an SH or Infinity .18 engine. It looks like a standard Cyclone upgraded with the two speed, the Cyclone Pro would also have alloy shocks.
This looks an old one but with minor updates the car is still sold today, I see plenty of these as I work for the UK distributor.
https://www.nitrotek.co.uk/rc-cars/nitro-petrol-cars/1-10-scale/cyclone-pro-nitro-radio-control-car-mazda-style-version.html

Exploded diagrams and spare parts list can be found here. http://acme-rc.com/products-detail.php?ProId=42

YakkityYak
Approved Member

Post by YakkityYak »

terry.sc wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:13 pm Easy one, it's an Acme Cyclone. It comes with an SH or Infinity .18 engine. It looks like a standard Cyclone upgraded with the two speed, the Cyclone Pro would also have alloy shocks.
This looks an old one but with minor updates the car is still sold today, I see plenty of these as I work for the UK distributor.
https://www.nitrotek.co.uk/rc-cars/nitro-petrol-cars/1-10-scale/cyclone-pro-nitro-radio-control-car-mazda-style-version.html

Exploded diagrams and spare parts list can be found here. http://acme-rc.com/products-detail.php?ProId=42

Ah! Finally some solid evidence. Thank you oh so much!

What's the best place to buy bearings at for cars like these? I wanna upgrade the brass bushings, but to get the Acme ones is outrageous. It gives me all the sizes however.
Losi - Mint-T
Associated - RC10 (x2)

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

Bearings are bearings, as long as you have the sizes then any will work fine. Boca or Acer can supply any you want, I'm sure there are cheaper options as well.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Avid rc will offer practically any size you need and for a buck a bearing for steel ones.