Future innovations in RC racing (2022 and beyond)

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

TokyoProf
Approved Member

Future innovations in RC racing (2022 and beyond)

Post by TokyoProf »

Looking into the future, what do you think will be the future innovations in RC racing? This might be mechanical, material science, electronics related, or something completely different like virtual reality.

In terms of the cars or buggies I was thinking applying active wings (that adjust wind aerodynamics based on speed) could be one idea.
In terms of VR there could be a way of attaching a mini-camera to a car and then having some visual software assess track conditions and recommend racing/jumping/tuning/braking suggestions for self-improvement.
Also, 3D printing plus AI could make new designs more accessible. Google has developed/developing audio activated 3D diagrams. Imagine telling a computer "Combine a 1/10th scale buggy that has an RC10 front end with a RC10B6 Transmission elongated by three inches, and with a Tamiya Avante Body...and the computer magically creates a 3D diagram of exactly what you envision. That future is being developed.
"Everyone is capable of so much more than they think they are." - Johnny Kim - Navy Seal, Doctor, Astronaut

Dadio
Approved Member

Re: Future innovations in RC racing (2022 and beyond)

Post by Dadio »

I already see 3d printing as the affordable future of Vintage RC Racing , as parts become scarce they become expensive and race cars become shelf queen's , 3d printed parts can put them back on track where they were designed to be .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Racing innovation usually follows track design. I think there is a lot to be gained by active vehicle controls, especially as you mentioned in aerodynamics as well in computer controlled active suspension.

As far as power train goes I think that direct drive brush-less off road cars that use electronics to replace the mechanical parts, like the slipper and the diff. The motors need to be more powerful and smaller, but that is already happening.

Basically the stuff that we see on 1:1 cars.

I also believe that computer and virtual racing will get bigger. Tracks are harder to find and it provides and easier entry point. Heck we may even see RC cars controlled at the track by phones, or controllers.
I could even see someone trying to set up virtual driving where real cars on a track are controlled by drivers over the internet. I don't know that would succeed but I can see it would be attempted.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

It has already happened in 1/5 scale but I think hub motors will be the next game changer. Just a matter of time.
Attachments
3CE6E857-8F9D-47C4-91E7-D04ADF08FFAA.jpeg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

GoMachV wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:47 pm It has already happened in 1/5 scale but I think hub motors will be the next game changer. Just a matter of time.
I don't think this is far at all. I have played around a little bit with quad motors within 1/10 scale wheels, and it is possible and they just need some torque help. Open source controllers and channel mixing at the Tx, and this is very doable.

I think one of the next waves will be suspensions. I am surprised that coilovers are still the norm. I think air ride is coming around. Not sure why I think that, but I think it is coming.
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

BattleTrak

Post by BattleTrak »

GoMachV wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:47 pm It has already happened in 1/5 scale but I think hub motors will be the next game changer. Just a matter of time.
Now this is amazing.. A vehicle that could switch from 4wd, fwd, rwd..or even one motor for low load, constant cruise speed.
-Brad

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

BattleTrak wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:46 pm Now this is amazing.. A vehicle that could switch from 4wd, fwd, rwd..or even one motor for low load, constant cruise speed.
To me, what is more amazing, is what you can do with steering. 2WS or 4WS without a servo.
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Hub motors could provide so many benefits.
Traction control and infinitely adjustable electronic differentials.
Linking each motor to steering servo output so outside wheels receive more power.
etc.
Doug

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Absolutely, with individual hub motors you can get into torque vectoring and pretty soon the cars will drive themselves ;-) Just tell it where to go race, and saturday morning it will head out, charge once its at the track, and know when to and where to line up on the grid. Hardest part will be getting the trophy home. :lol:
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

BattleTrak

Post by BattleTrak »

Then think of the unused motors acting as generators to recharge the battery..
-Brad

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

....if they had any sense they would go back to chain drive trannys like Team Pit Stop had, but they won't cause they're too dumb!
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Not sure I agree with hub motors for buggy's , a motor per wheel is good but the weight of a hub motor adds to unsprung weight and that's bad , magnets don't like impacts , the motor would need to be better sealed to keep crap out , it might be good for a track car but not a buggy , and yes bring back chain drive :D
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

rc10nick
Approved Member

Post by rc10nick »

Dadio wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:12 am I already see 3d printing as the affordable future of Vintage RC Racing , as parts become scarce they become expensive and race cars become shelf queen's , 3d printed parts can put them back on track where they were designed to be .

I think 3D printing will completely disrupt all aspects of RC cars.

Formlabs recently released a polyurethane based resin for SLA machines. The stiffness and impact resistance ratings of the resins are in the ballpark of nylon. Imagine being able to produce any plastic part you want that's just as strong as anything Losi or AE could injection mold. That's going to be a pretty big shake up in the industry.