Buying a PS3, tips?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DW911
Approved Member

Re: Buying a PS3, tips?

Post by DW911 »

Eau Rouge wrote:I did the same thing, and bought a PS3 a coupe of years ago to "do everything." I'm not a huge console gamer—I play Tiger Woods golf, a few EA sports games, Rock Band, Guitar Hero, and maybe Gran Tourismo if I am in the mood for abuse.

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't make that a factor in my purchase. I would still probably buy a PS3 over the other consoles, but don't expect it to be a great BlueRay player. Mine sounds like a Harrier Jump Jet ready for take-off when it's playing movies—BlueRay or DVD. I can't get the thing to run cool as a move player, and even if it is out on an open video unit with plenty of air circulating around it, it still runs with crazy stupid fan speeds. And I'm using a USB laptop cooling fan underneath it, too.

BlueRay looks spectacular on it, and standard DVDs play at a much sharper picture than a regular DVD player. Given the chance, I'll pick up a solo BlueRay player to add into my system when I have the chance and let the game console do what it is supposed to do.

For straight game-play, it's awesome. I don't use as much hard-drive space as I thought I would, as I'm not that big of a gamer. If you plan on downloading games or demos, then splurge on the extra drive space, otherwise, it isn't worth it to me.
LMAO......"Harrier jump jet" between that and the hot trick comment in another thread i figure we must be brothers from another mother cause we sure do think alike....sorry for the hijack but that made me laugh out loud :)

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

I just pre-ordered a copy of GT5. Now I just need to buy a PS3. :lol:

veghead211

Post by veghead211 »

I'm also glad to see this thread here. I am currently on the fence about buying a new PS3 just so I can play GT5. I have always been a huge fan of Gran Turismo but I have wanted to see some opinions on whether or not it would be worth it to buy a PS3 just to play GT5. Total for both would be 360 bucks. I can get an Xbox 360 and Forza Motorsport 3 for 230$. From what I understand most games are being developed for the Xbox and being ported for the PS3 so they are not taking full advantage of the PS3's capabilities. This leaves me wondering whether or not it is worth it to 360$ for the PS3 and GT5. I have also heard reviews that FM3 actually looks better and has higher polygon detail than GT5, it seems to me that getting the Xbox would be a better deal for the money.
"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

Bimdapogs
Approved Member

Post by Bimdapogs »

Ended up getting the 320GB + Move bundle, to be more family-oriented. :mrgreen: Bestbuy gave the BR remote for free. As for playing Blu-ray movies, load time was longer compared to DVD but I think that's normal on blu-ray players. It played fine and I don't hear the cooling fans at all. Seems the Harrier Jet-fans were improved. :lol:

Pretty impressed so far. Game-play is awesome, can't wait to try the GT5.

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

I wonder if Wal-Mart will have GT5 after midnight tonight.... :mrgreen:

Bimdapogs
Approved Member

Post by Bimdapogs »

While in the GT5 subject, a friend of mine built this. Crazy awesome!!! :mrgreen:
Attachments
GT5.jpg

nvxwax
Approved Member

Post by nvxwax »

I love my PS3 Heater (I have the original PS3 back when it first came out), Its still kicking, I slapped a 500 gig HD in mine, It was an easy swap, Sony added all the software to do a HD swap. I keep all my movies (Yes i own the originals) and music on the PS3 now.