Buying a PS3, tips?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Bimdapogs
Approved Member

Buying a PS3, tips?

Post by Bimdapogs »

Hey guys,
I'm a total noob on the current gaming consoles. Had a PS2 moons ago, but didn't play it much I gave it to my brother.

My video player broke a week ago and instead of just getting a new Blu-Ray player, I thought why not get a PS3 "that does everything". I'm thinking the 160GB Slim PS3.

I'm looking for tips. Dos and don'ts? Software tweaks? I see games are pricey, are there ways to go around that like what was/being done on PSPs?

Anything that you can share is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Re: Buying a PS3, tips?

Post by Eau Rouge »

I did the same thing, and bought a PS3 a coupe of years ago to "do everything." I'm not a huge console gamer—I play Tiger Woods golf, a few EA sports games, Rock Band, Guitar Hero, and maybe Gran Tourismo if I am in the mood for abuse.

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't make that a factor in my purchase. I would still probably buy a PS3 over the other consoles, but don't expect it to be a great BlueRay player. Mine sounds like a Harrier Jump Jet ready for take-off when it's playing movies—BlueRay or DVD. I can't get the thing to run cool as a move player, and even if it is out on an open video unit with plenty of air circulating around it, it still runs with crazy stupid fan speeds. And I'm using a USB laptop cooling fan underneath it, too.

BlueRay looks spectacular on it, and standard DVDs play at a much sharper picture than a regular DVD player. Given the chance, I'll pick up a solo BlueRay player to add into my system when I have the chance and let the game console do what it is supposed to do.

For straight game-play, it's awesome. I don't use as much hard-drive space as I thought I would, as I'm not that big of a gamer. If you plan on downloading games or demos, then splurge on the extra drive space, otherwise, it isn't worth it to me.

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

I'm glad this thread was staretd. I've been waiting to get a PS3 until Gran Turismo is physically released, since it's been pushed back since last year.

I also am interested in it as a Blu-Ray player to go with my current home media setup. I'm not a huge gamer either, so any tips would help.

Are the PS3's fairly reliable? I'm always hearing and reading about the XBOX red ring of death or whatever it's called.

Bimdapogs
Approved Member

Post by Bimdapogs »

The 160GB is actually the lowest spec model that's currently available. There's 250GB and 320GB, but the 160GB is more than what I need.

I assume yours is pre-3rd generation, since the slim came out September last year. I'm still not finished reading thru reviews but so far, it seems the newer models run quieter, more efficient = consumes less energy, compared to the previous models EXCEPT it's a tad bit slower loading Blu-Ray movies. Heat seems to be the same. Blu-Ray and DVD playing seems to be decent enough. I'll keep reading as I get time.

Thanks!

Any tips on saving some $ with games?

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

I've had a 40GB for several years and haven't had any noise or heat issues. I keep mine connected to the internet, but only for updates. It kinda sucks for browsing. I store some pics and music on mine so I can play it on my main stereo. I'm not a huge gamer anymore either, but the games I've played are awesome on there. As for cheap ones go with used games. They're easy to get your hands on and cost about $5-$20 even for newer ones. As for new releases, you might be able to save a few bucks with pre-orders.

On a side note: Anyone who wants a Blu Ray player this is a great way to get some extra features. If you are on the fence about going Blu Ray, I would wait 'til they come down a bit more. Mainly the movies. The players aren't that bad. It is better than DVD, but not so much that you should feel like you're missing out on a whole new world. Unless you're a complete action movie nut I would wait a bit. The visualizations it shows while playing music are pretty awesome though.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Eau Rouge wrote: Mine sounds like a Harrier Jump Jet ready for take-off when it's playing movies—BlueRay or DVD.
This isn't the first time I've heard this. Buddy of mine put in a dvd in his first one and took it back since he thought something was wrong. Never caught back up with him to see what the second one did but I've heard it before thru other forums also. Anyone else experience this?

Kinda curious also for the purpose of a blueray player...well actually its for my 9 year old daughter so she can play games :wink: .
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

I <3 BlueRay.

:mrgreen:

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

I have the newer 160gig slim, never had any issues with it of any kind, had it for almost a year now. Bought it last December because Gran Turismo was FINALLY supposed to be coming out then....... :roll: I guess they had to postpone it another year so they could put NASCAR in it....NASCAR does ot belong in Gran Turismo!!!!!! Anyway.... Now Dec. 02 this year is supposed to be the absolute, finally, definitely going to happen, date.... we'll see. From what I have seen/played so far it should be worth the wait though. The PS3 really is an awesome do-everything machine. The browser is not the greatest, but it ot really bad. I have a USB wireless mouse and keyboard for my computer, I just pop the USB receiver into the controller port on the PS3 and use my mouse and keyboard with it, which makes it much better.

dsmith
Approved Member

Post by dsmith »

Eau Rouge wrote:I did the same thing, and bought a PS3 a coupe of years ago to "do everything." I'm not a huge console gamer—I play Tiger Woods golf, a few EA sports games, Rock Band, Guitar Hero, and maybe Gran Tourismo if I am in the mood for abuse.

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't make that a factor in my purchase. I would still probably buy a PS3 over the other consoles, but don't expect it to be a great BlueRay player. Mine sounds like a Harrier Jump Jet ready for take-off when it's playing movies—BlueRay or DVD. I can't get the thing to run cool as a move player, and even if it is out on an open video unit with plenty of air circulating around it, it still runs with crazy stupid fan speeds. And I'm using a USB laptop cooling fan underneath it, too.

BlueRay looks spectacular on it, and standard DVDs play at a much sharper picture than a regular DVD player. Given the chance, I'll pick up a solo BlueRay player to add into my system when I have the chance and let the game console do what it is supposed to do.

For straight game-play, it's awesome. I don't use as much hard-drive space as I thought I would, as I'm not that big of a gamer. If you plan on downloading games or demos, then splurge on the extra drive space, otherwise, it isn't worth it to me.
if you do end up getting one...i would recommend tiger woods...we bet $ every hole while drinking...it's pretty fun.. 8)

adam lancia
Approved Member

Post by adam lancia »

I've got a question about games/consoles and if they're formatted differently for North America vs Europe....? Would the games in Europe use a different format than the games in NA? If so, would that make a difference? I live in Germany but am going to be home for the holidays, in January and in the US in February so I'm doing some comparison shopping right now 8) Thanks!

Bimdapogs
Approved Member

Post by Bimdapogs »

GT5 confirmed release date, Nov. 24! :P

adam lancia
Approved Member

Post by adam lancia »

Not only that, a collectors edition and a signature edition too. But, the signature edition isn't available in North America and the collectors edition is a little different compared to the European version, at least that's what it says online. For anyone wanting the signature edition, let me know ;)

EDIT: PS3 games and consoles are region-free (no format restrictions) but the display output is different between the US and European version, the US version being NTSC and the European version using PAL. The power supply supports 110-240 volt so that's no problem. Blueray movies, PS1 and PS2 games and DVD movies are region locked though...

Doc J33P
Approved Member

Post by Doc J33P »

Just so you know, 11/24/10 is the official date from Polyphony. GT5 will be here next week!

http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/

I ordered the collector's set with the extras and I don't even own a PS3, lol.
35 years of RC and still broke!

adam lancia
Approved Member

Post by adam lancia »

Doc J33P wrote:Just so you know, 11/24/10 is the official date from Polyphony. GT5 will be here next week!

http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/

I ordered the collector's set with the extras and I don't even own a PS3, lol.
That's exactly what I did! :lol: I'm going to pick up the console sometime before Christmas.

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

Awesome! It was listed on GTP as the 2nd last week. But it does say 24th now! 8)