return of the domination......

Post by scr8p »

:mrgreen:
dominator.gif

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Re: return of the domination......

Post by Eau Rouge »

As much as I'm glad to see it back, it's nothing of the original car, other than it's 4wd. I was hoping they would re-release the old car as it was, without re-designing it. Still... it's pretty cool to see a 4wd dirt oval car back again.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i'm surprised to see a new version period. but like you said, it's far from the original....... which kinda sucks.

i can't wait to see the street price of it. the 2wd stuff has a hefty price tag. but hell, the original one wasn't cheap, either. :shock: :lol:

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

WHAT!!!!!!!!!! Is there a link to the new car, craziness.

ProXL

Post by ProXL »

I have one like it on the work bench right now, mine is called the slingshot. I remember when the first intimidator hit the track, chain drive tranny, great engineering looks, when it hit the shelves, it was a direct drive. Not quite the engineering marvel that its prototype was. I hope the new design works out.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

The Slingshot was Kyosho's ill-conceived attempt at putting themselves into the 4wd dirt oval wars. It wasn't very competitive on any level, as it was really an Optima with a fiberglass chassis that put all of the batteries on the left side. Not that much different than the original concept of the Dominator (based on a Yokomo Dogfighter), but it never caught on and was never anything but an asterisk in dirt oval racing.

Neat to have one, though. I always thought that if someone REALLY wanted to be competitive with one, that it had potential. Jim Dieter thought the same of the Schumacher CAT, as he essentially did the same thing with that belt drive 4wd off road buggy.

It was a fun time for watching the design and development of oval cars, that's for sure.

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

Is there a class for that car? or are they hoping for an unlimited class to run it in?

I agree Scr8p CW stuff is pretty overpriced, $300 for the Outlaw sprinter and it comes with plastic shock towers and a fiberglass chassis. I thought about jumping into dirt oval last winter when it was getting big around here, but the cost was too much. They are all running ESC's with timing and killing $80 motors every other week.
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

Dirtdiver
Approved Member

Post by Dirtdiver »

I'm glad to see the Dominator back but I'm not so sure it is going to be good for dirt oval. I think the addition of another class will dilute the fields at most of the local tracks and probably cause more harm than good. I've seen this happen at my local track with the slash.

On the positive side maybe other manufactures will jump on the 4wd dirt oval band wagon and create competition and innovation like we saw in the 80's-early 90's. I miss the interesting designs.

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

I too, have to admit that their pricing is a bit questionable. If any of you guys are looking to get in it, you can find some used rollers at Dirtoval.com (where there is a huge discussion on the new car/class) I have an older car (Intimidator DD) which at its time did not come with fiberglass or plastic shocks. The only other thing besides it being an 4WD oval car, is maybe the possibility of being able to see/convert it as/to a 4wd buggy which may make it more profitable for CW. Who Knows??? Maybe it will spark a resurgence in Dirtoval?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

markt311 wrote:I agree Scr8p CW stuff is pretty overpriced
i didn't say they're overpriced, just that it's a hefty price tag. :wink:

dirt oval racing is not a cheap form of racing. it never has been. even when you could go out and buy a new rc10 ($180 or so), and then bought a raborn or composite craft lto chassis ($50-60), another pair of short shocks to replace the 1.32 rears ($25-30), a set of foam tires ($30), and an rpm or andy's rear oval body mount ($6-8), and don't forget the front oval mount if you were running a late model ($6-8), and a body ($20). so where are we at....... almost $340 for a pretty much standard new built oval rc10 roller? and around my parts back then, off road was DEAD. so it's not like anyone was after the leftovers from the kit to recoupe some of your investment by selling it.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

man i remember when the original dominators came out, they were so cool. i wanted one really bad.
then the intimidators, i hated them because they made my rc10 dirt oval car obsolete.

i'd love to get back into dirt oval, but i just don't have the time and the only track around here is outdoor and i race offroad in the nice weather.

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

Get rid of that short course-lookin' bumper and you're golden.

I'm glad to see CW re-invent the Dom.

I'm tired of everyone complaining about new classes. It seems a little odd that a majority of today's tracks offer classes for a specific car...Slash, Slider, etc. Start a balls-out, run-what-ya-brung 4WD oval class and forget the rules. Any motor, battery, tire, body, side dam, weight, height, etc.

xanadu
Approved Member

Post by xanadu »

Sorry, but that does not cut it at all! A bunch of plastic bolted to an average everyday touring car chassis with wider a-arms? I hate to say it but Custom Works has lost that creative edge and is just trying to cash in on a name that once meant something. I am even more proud to own a new built Dominator that came from a time when that word really meant something. R.I.P. Dominator name. Now you're just an rc car;

Here lies the Dominator:
The greatest dirt oval car..No, rocket oval car, to ever touch the dirt.
You will be missed.
Your legacy lives on, though, through dedicated racers from the late 1980's,
who still hope for your return in the form of carbon fiber and titanium. (and as very few parts as possible)
We bid you farewell

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

I miss dirt oval...I remember seeing the Langraff cars run BEFORE the dominator was released.

The nearest dirt oval track is almost 3 hours away from me, but I have tons of offroad/on road tracks around an hour or less away.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

AscotConversion
Approved Member

Post by AscotConversion »

The original Dominator was primitive. They built it off the 834b. I'm not even sure if you could adjust camber or caster (??).

25 years later, it seems a bit silly to expect that it would still perform to the same level with Delta shocks, dogbones, a chain drive and a spool in the rear end. Hyperdrive/GFRP and Dynotech both have prototype cars based on 4wd buggy drivetrains, with far greater adjustability than the original Dominator car. Looking at this car, I see some things "missing" in adjustability for the car. The ability to change width at the bulkheads, and vertical ballstuds would be nice. At the same time I do see droop screws at least in the front, and maybe adjustable diff height (could be belt tension though).

I understand that there is a lot of nostalgia surrounding the car, but look at Losi Streetweapon (IFMAR ISTC champion 1998) and a Tamiya 416X (2010 Champ). There has to be an evolution.

More and better prototype pix:
http://www.midwestrc.net/default.aspx?g=posts&t=445