SG Futura 111

The place for all things TAG/SG.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

romulus22

SG Futura 111

Post by romulus22 »

Just picked this up for what I though was an ok price. Not much to start with but at least what I have looks to have never been run. Just old and shows signs of being handled a lot.

Hoping I can find a complete parts car or parts to get this restoration rolling but initial search isn't bringing up many parts. Just a few on ebay that I cant confirm are for this car. So if any of you international viewers can help me out it would be appreciated :D

Here's a couple of the sellers pictures of what I have to work with. Looks like the front suspension piece is bolted on backwards but that's an easy swap. Unfortunately the radio plate has been cut on the sides.

a01butal
Approved Member

Re: SG Futura 111

Post by a01butal »

I had one and sold it a couple of years ago. Here are the pictures I could find.

This is all very interesting!

oca1
Approved Member

Post by oca1 »

Nice find! I have a similar SG car that needs to be restored.

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

a01butal wrote:I had one and sold it a couple of years ago. Here are the pictures I could find.
Nice car Alan. Very complete. I don't think I could have let it go being that complete.

They do look better with the giant bumpers though.
oca1 wrote:Nice find! I have a similar SG car that needs to be restored.
It was $40 shipped which isn't much but there also isn't much car there. Hoping to only have a few hundred in it finished.
Ill keep an eye out for yours. Your Deltas are pieces of art.

8valve
Approved Member

Post by 8valve »

Here are scans of the SG Futura V exploded views....hope they help.
Attachments
Futura V-2-1.jpg
Futura V-3-1.jpg

8valve
Approved Member

Post by 8valve »

[quote="a01butal"]I had one and sold it a couple of years ago. Here are the pictures I could find.

Hi Al,
Too bad you sold that car with that tank....tank is not original for the SG cars, and worth more than the car alone...at least here in Europe.
Thanks for the Delta diff parts by the way!
Kind regards, Mick (Amsterdam)

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

Thank you for the scans. I'm finding tons of pictures and people with these cars on google images. But I'm having a hard time finding parts of any sort. I'm just thinking they weren't popular or many brought over to the US?

So when I researched I thought it was a Futura 111.... Or is it a Futura V? What are the differences. I guess it would help to know before I start buying a bunch of parts and have them be for the wrong car.

Thanks for your help, Todd

8valve
Approved Member

Post by 8valve »

Hi Todd, the Futura 111 was introduced around 1977, it's predecessor was the SG1. the main difference (I think) between the Futura 111 and the Futura V was that the latter had a fibreglass chassis, forward of the aluminum powerpod. And the frontaxle and steering blocks were a bit different. Also the tank is different (111 metal, V plastic). I found one picture on Google that shows what your car should look like after completion. Here it is, not my picture!
Attachments
Futura 111.jpg

8valve
Approved Member

Post by 8valve »

And here's the Futura V. A rear diff was optional. Note the different gastank.
Attachments
IMG_7524_small.jpg

8valve
Approved Member

Post by 8valve »

And here's a pic of the evolution of the Futura V, called the Futura VCS with a pendulum style front axle. These are the most sought after, at least here in Europe.
Attachments
SGfuturaVCS_bilde3_pix800.jpg

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

8valve wrote:Hi Todd, the Futura 111 was introduced around 1977, it's predecessor was the SG1. the main difference (I think) between the Futura 111 and the Futura V was that the latter had a fibreglass chassis, forward of the aluminum powerpod. And the frontaxle and steering blocks were a bit different. Also the tank is different (111 metal, V plastic). I found one picture on Google that shows what your car should look like after completion. Here it is, not my picture!
Ok good I think that is the picture I was referencing when I bought mine. Mine is a 111 then. Thanks again for your help

8valve
Approved Member

Post by 8valve »

romulus22 wrote:Thank you for the scans. I'm finding tons of pictures and people with these cars on google images. But I'm having a hard time finding parts of any sort. I'm just thinking they weren't popular or many brought over to the US?

So when I researched I thought it was a Futura 111.... Or is it a Futura V? What are the differences. I guess it would help to know before I start buying a bunch of parts and have them be for the wrong car.

Thanks for your help, Todd
Basically, if you look at the pics of the car Al used to have, that's a pretty good reference (save for the gastank and the Associated servosaver/steering arms).
Check the German and French ebay sites, SG cars/parts are on there frequently! On ebay.de (germany), use the searchterm "Hackbrett" which means cutting board, slang for pancar. On ebay.fr use searchterms pistes/vintage/SG

8valve
Approved Member

Post by 8valve »

romulus22 wrote:
8valve wrote:Hi Todd, the Futura 111 was introduced around 1977, it's predecessor was the SG1. the main difference (I think) between the Futura 111 and the Futura V was that the latter had a fibreglass chassis, forward of the aluminum powerpod. And the frontaxle and steering blocks were a bit different. Also the tank is different (111 metal, V plastic). I found one picture on Google that shows what your car should look like after completion. Here it is, not my picture!
Ok good I think that is the picture I was referencing when I bought mine. Mine is a 111 then. Thanks again for your help
Yes, definitely! Super Tigre engine with rear mounted exhaust-pot would be perfect.

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

8valve wrote:
Yes, definitely! Super Tigre engine with rear mounted exhaust-pot would be perfect.
Ill be keeping my eyes open. Hopefully some European members will too :wink:

Puffdogg
Approved Member

Post by Puffdogg »

I have one of these as well...SG Futura 111.I may have some spares.... :D