Remembering some of my R/C past... (pics)

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

SmallScaleSmitty
Approved Member

Remembering some of my R/C past... (pics)

Post by SmallScaleSmitty »

Feeling nostalgic a few days ago I decided to dig out the few photos I have of some past ventures in R/C to share. Wish I had some pics of my Dad's 1/10 and 1/12 scale cars and my old 1/12th but I doubt any were ever taken. Anyways, first up are a couple pics of my old Grasshopper at a dirt oval track near Cleveland Ohio. These pics are dated 1987. They raced nitro sprint cars and electrics there. Fun place to hang out. I don't remember the particulars of the car, probably mostly stock. Except of course for the Parma (I think) 1957 Chevy body. Paint scheme modled after one of my favorite Hot Wheels cars (what can I say, I was 8 at the time :lol: ). I remember one time at the track, they had an event where the wives or mothers of the drivers raced the cars for a heat. It was priceless! My mother, bless her heart, could not get the hang of the controls. Don't remember if it was a stick controller or pistol. Kept going off the track. I soon realized why my Dad opted to have her drive my 'Hopper instead of his Frog. His Frog had a yellow 1963 Corvette Split Window. We both loved clasic cars. LOL

Next is when I got back into R/C in the early 90's with my RC10T Team Truck. I didn't race, it was just for fun. Now this truck I remember like it was yesterday. Futaba Magnum Sport, MC210CB Reversible ESC, R122JE receiver, S148 servo, Maxzilla 6-cell battery and a Trinity Speed Gems Saphire motor....budget bashing at it's finest. Basic black 10T body with a number 7 as an homage to my old 'Hopper racing days. Fun truck and built like a tank. ;)

This next pic of the Team Truck was in it's later days when I added the all important flames (waterslide from a 1/12 scale Monogram model kit) and KC light decals on the bumper. Pro Line Road Hawg all the way around. The rider on top of the cab is Rocky, my Cockateil.

Last photo is of a participant plaque from when my Father and I raced 1/12th scale indoor. I think I enjoyed 12th scale on-road more than any other class we participated in (hence my current obsession). I never won any trophies but I used to have two of my Dad's small trophies. Not sure whatever happened to them but I know they've gone the way of the DoDo Bird. :| He had one for on-road and one for off-road. If I remember corectly, we ran Bolink 12th scale cars. My dad had a powder blue GTP body on his and I had a yellow 1932 Ford 3 Window Coupe body (I don't need no stinkin' aerodynamics!) :roll:

Well that's it. Had some good times BITD, even if I was just having fun. :wink:

shodog
Approved Member

Re: Remembering some of my R/C past... (pics)

Post by shodog »

Great pics. I especially like the one with the bird on top of the T

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

SmallScaleSmitty wrote:Well that's it. Had some good times BITD, even if I was just having fun. :wink:
Isn't this kinda the point of R/Cs? I personally think too many folks take these TOYS too seriously and forget to enjoy them.
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

i agree. sure it's ok to have shelf queens, but i'm not afraid to get something old and beat the crap out of it. you may not be able to fix certain things right away, but between this site and ebay you can find just about anything you need to keep it going.