Blasphemy! has anybody thought of or tried this?

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Kayne
Approved Member

Blasphemy! has anybody thought of or tried this?

Post by Kayne »

A buddy of mine just got a job at some place where they have a ton of cnc's and some presses.He says they stamp out alot of trays and stuff for hospitals.So I had the idea to stamp out some tubs.He said I would have to drill out the holes.Would this be wrong of me to do this?I love getting that package with the beat up used stuff but it would be nice to get some fresh stuff with out having to sell a kidney.Please let me know what you think.
Matt

Drive It Like You Stole It!

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Re: Blasphemy! has anybody thought of or tried this?

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

If you can get it done i would and let them annodize it or you getm done and sell diff colors.Or sell as a tub let them drill it.Price vary on what you do to it.
Id get a few lol.Don

shane
Approved Member

Post by shane »

Go for it, why not?

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

This is not a slam, just an observation because ultimately the decision is yours. Speaking for myself, unless it was really trick, I wouldn't buy one. 1. it's not from AE and 2. it's not vintage.

You might be able to get your buddy to make a couple of one-offs for you but if you go into production, the costs will be high and your market very small. you might not be able to recoup your production costs.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

if it was me, i'd do one for myself and that's it. maybe change the shape around a little bit and make it my own. i see no reason in knocking a bunch of them out. things become a lot less "cool" when a bunch of people have them.

Kayne
Approved Member

Post by Kayne »

Yeah I wasn't thinking production.I don't have the scratch for that and I don't think it would be cool.I was just thinking of a few maybe in black and red and of course "GOOOOOLLLLDD" :lol:
Matt

Drive It Like You Stole It!

vintage88
Approved Member

Post by vintage88 »

personally i would make a couple one offs nothing like original(my own designs) i wouldnt copy but its an awesome idea i would go for it and post pics if you do...

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

If you do some one offs for yourself, a cool project would be a RC10 scorcher pan. A pan shortened and widened to fit a sand scorcher shell like a clam shell.

cyclepsych0
Approved Member

Post by cyclepsych0 »

^^^ Great idea!!^^^ Or stamp out a few T2 shaped pans in the shorter buggy wheel base... :D That would be "one-off" and pretty sought after here on the forum.. 8)
"Relax. Alright? My Old Man is a television repairman....... Got this ultimate set of tools... I can fix it!!" - Spicoli

aeiou
Approved Member

Post by aeiou »

I like the scorcher idea. It would be cool to have a one-piece chassis, with the front mounts/kick up included.

lpddpd
Approved Member

Post by lpddpd »

I gotta say that I'm surprised that some small company has started doing this for the entire industry. Isn't something like this done for real cars (vintage, much older, etc)? What's the difference between genuine and replica except price and the knowledge of having a real one or not? It never seemed to hurt the value of real Shelby Cobras. I remember reading that Mercedes Benz has a program that will make any genuine part for any car they have ever made going back to the first car if necessary for, of course, the appropriate pricing. I always wondered why companies completely turn their backs on their early or legacy cars leaving a huge sales market to track down vintage parts. I always thought it was cool that Tamiya would reissue older kits again keeping them nostagically relevant. I think its a bummer when I hear that certain parts will no longer be produced and the tooling or molds have been destroyed.

For bashing and such, I think your idea makes sense.

rc10johnny
Approved Member

Post by rc10johnny »

SANDSCORCHER 10 YEA :!:

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

lpddpd wrote:I gotta say that I'm surprised that some small company has started doing this for the entire industry. Isn't something like this done for real cars (vintage, much older, etc)? What's the difference between genuine and replica except price and the knowledge of having a real one or not? It never seemed to hurt the value of real Shelby Cobras. I remember reading that Mercedes Benz has a program that will make any genuine part for any car they have ever made going back to the first car if necessary for, of course, the appropriate pricing. I always wondered why companies completely turn their backs on their early or legacy cars leaving a huge sales market to track down vintage parts. I always thought it was cool that Tamiya would reissue older kits again keeping them nostagically relevant. I think its a bummer when I hear that certain parts will no longer be produced and the tooling or molds have been destroyed.

For bashing and such, I think your idea makes sense.
As far as stamping reproduction parts, it probably comes down to money. Machining suspension arms on a CNC mill is one thing, but to stamp a chassis like that would cost a ton. I believe the chassis are heat-treated as well (the original prototype chassis were, which warped them and they had to be hammered back into shape by hand). There are still plenty of tubs out there to be had if you want to find them, and even if they went up in price they would probably be cheaper than a newly tooled stamped chassis.

I'm 100% confident that Mercedes still has all their blueprints and engineering diagrams going back to their earliest cars, so they could reproduce anything on a CNC machine. Shops that restore rare classic cars sometimes make completely new parts based on the original drawings, which would work better than copies of original parts. When those aren't available they sometimes take the original part and have it scanned in 3D, produce a CAD model of it, and then machine it from there.

Replicas of original parts are sometimes call 'pattern parts.' This British used car restoration show on the HD Theater called 'Wheeler Dealers' sometimes uses them when there is no other choice. Things like fenders aren't usually as thick and sturdy as OEM, and may need some more attention to fit properly, but they are 'new' and cost much less than new-old stock or even parts from a junkyard. If it's a classic and you care about originality you might pass, but if you want to keep a car running, they make sense.

I don't think it's that the R/C companies don't care, but if they thought they could make money producing classic kits, they would. Sometimes it's just too expensive to do it, and sometimes the tooling for the original parts doesn't exist anymore (worn out, recycled, whatever).

This is just me personally, since I'm not really into 'shelfers' a reproduction chassis wouldn't bother me in the slightest if it worked. But in the past year (because of all YOU guys on here....) I've bought 4 rolling chassis for about $60 each. I just care about keeping a car running, and at least for now you can either buy or fairly easily make any parts you need to keep the car going. The only parts they don't produce are the rear arm mounts, bulkhead, shock tower, tranny case, and motor plate, and the chassis.