Taking B4 apart, What do I keep??

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mrhemi1971
Approved Member

Taking B4 apart, What do I keep??

Post by mrhemi1971 »

Well, I had no response on my selling the B4, So I'm gonna tear it apart, keep what I can use for other projects, and get rid of the rest. I was going to keep the trans and motor plate, front and rear hub and steering knuckles, wheels and tires, shocks, and hardware. Anything else that might be useful on an old buggy or truck? Can anybody use whats left?
ASSOCIATED OR NOTHING!!

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Re: Taking B4 apart, What do I keep??

Post by Eau Rouge »

I have sold B4 trannies and motor plates for $25-35 depending on the condition. They don't work on much else, outside of a T4 or SC10. The wheels, tires, front and rear hubs (and bearings), front axles, outer hinge pins, and steering knuckles can all be used on an RC10 to convert it to contemporary sized wheels and tires ("old is new" RC10). With an Atlas "Worlds" front and rear shock tower addition, you can also use the shocks on that conversion as well.

Arms are buggy-specific, but if you packaged up the arms, shock towers and front and rear bulkheads in a "spares package" you might be able to sell those for $15-25 depending on the condition, too. Try eBay, HobbyTalk.com and RCtech.net for good selling locations for those parts. If the chassis is a FT, it actually has less value than the plastic chassis because racers preferred a more compliant flex than the composite one offered. The plastic one might have some value, too. Some guys are always looking for beater bodies and wings if the one you have is usable and isn't horrible looking.

Together, good FT B4s are worth about $150 at the most. The B4.1 killed any value they might have previously had. Team kits are worth a bunch less on the open market, depending on the spares package. RTR kits have almost no value to racers, unless they are being cannibalized for spare parts.

Hope this helps,

dc

mrhemi1971
Approved Member

Post by mrhemi1971 »

I didn't know if I wanted to use the trans for another future project or not. The body is a fresh painted new body that would be good for somebody else's runner. The chassis parts I'll just save for trade-bait in case someone here can use them. The hubs and other parts are for another new old project buggy I have in mind. Fortunately it came with relux front and rears with new tires, so thats a plus!
ASSOCIATED OR NOTHING!!

Toasted Coastie
Approved Member

Post by Toasted Coastie »

I love putting the B4 transmissions on RC10 chassis:

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

That's a lot of extra work when a Stealth with a B4 top shaft does the same thing. ;) The diff is the same, the bearings are the same—all you get is a taller internal ratio with the B4, which makes it harder to gear for contemporary stock-type brushless motors. And the rear bumper guard hanging down below the chassis to snag on stuff. And what are you bracing it to the top of the chassis with?

I'm just sayin'... ;) :)

Toasted Coastie
Approved Member

Eau Rouge wrote:That's a lot of extra work when a Stealth with a B4 top shaft does the same thing. ;) The diff is the same, the bearings are the same—all you get is a taller internal ratio with the B4, which makes it harder to gear for contemporary stock-type brushless motors. And the rear bumper guard hanging down below the chassis to snag on stuff. And what are you bracing it to the top of the chassis with?

I'm just sayin'... ;) :)
Yup, I know. I like to do strange things. I use the top shaft on my two regular stealth cars, and had these two chassis to play with. Check out http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16956

I'll revisit the bumper guard issue when I get home. Never really thought of that....

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Interesting setup. :) I guess I'm getting too old to do stuff like that just for the hell of it. :D

Toasted Coastie
Approved Member

Eau Rouge wrote:Interesting setup. :) I guess I'm getting too old to do stuff like that just for the hell of it. :D
Age is irrelivant. I am retiring from the CG this year, so I am not exactly young. However, this is my first year in RCs, so I am in that "lets mess with stuff and make things happen" phase. I'll grow out of it.....

mrhemi1971
Approved Member

Post by mrhemi1971 »

I saw your stuff coastie and I just thought of hanging on to the trans. I do agree that putting it into an old pan does make the gearing a bit off, but I do like your enthusiasm! Reminds me of the days when the old cars we play with were new on the shelf!!! I miss the days of going into the store and having several chassis pans to choose from!! We used to come up with some crazy contraptions back in the day (ie..composite rocket powered rc cars....)
ASSOCIATED OR NOTHING!!

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Yeah, I guess I got that out of my system 20 years ago. ;)

mrhemi1971
Approved Member

Post by mrhemi1971 »

Eau Rouge wrote:Yeah, I guess I got that out of my system 20 years ago. ;)
My problem is that I never did get over that one. You think THIS hobby is expensive... :lol: :lol: :lol: Try becoming a level 3 certified rocket nut and working with experimental propellants. I could have bought 20 sealed NIB RC10 edinger kits shipped from the arctic circle on a private jet cheaper!
ASSOCIATED OR NOTHING!!