Most desired brushed motors for off road buggy?

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

vintage AE
Approved Member

Most desired brushed motors for off road buggy?

Post by vintage AE »

Hi everyone

I'm building a rc10 graphite runner with a modern brushed esc and I am wondering what is a competitive and or desired brushed motor would be, doesn't matter if it's vintage or modern? Need's to be similar to a 10.5T brushless. I know desired and competitive are going to be different, so maybe I'm looking for a desired competitive motor :roll:

I think Reedy and Check Point made some good ones, but I didn't race back in the day, so I don't know specific makes. The only thing I had were Trinity Speedworks and stock motors back then.

Any help will be much appreciated.

craigc8791
Approved Member

Re: Most desired brushed motors for off road buggy?

Post by craigc8791 »

Well, I am doing the same, I have found out that there is 2 classes you can compete in with a vintage buggy. 1 is vintage stock, stock parts- etc. The other is Modified with brushless systems modern wheels and tires -etc. Now people in the modified class run anywhere from a 14- 12 turn brushed. Thats just what I have found out.

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

I'm up for the modified class. something around 19 or 17 turn is what I had in mind.

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

well, are you looking for most desired vintage motors? or the brushed motor that would be most desireable from a current racing spec standpoint?

I don't know much about the vintage motors if that's what you're going for, but for a current brushed motor I would suggest a 19T if you want to compete with a 10.5 The 10.5 from my experience is going to be a little faster on a big track (this is not considering the newest gen of escs with variable timing) but the saved weight of a brushed motor will help on small tight tracks, the older chassis seem a bit more balanced as well with a brushed motor. Furthermore, the current spec brushed motors (i.e. 19T) are going to be very competetive against vintage brushed mod motors.

Which ever way you go, do run lipo batteries.

my personal formula for 19T brushed motors that I've run with lots of success in 10.5 classes has been:
Epic based 19T (trinity komodo dragon)
finishline "F" brushes
trinity purple overhead springs

motor broken in 100 seconds, 3.5 volts, no load with trinity break in drops, then 300 seconds with fan load at 3.5 volts. arms trued, brushes replaced , springs replaced after 6 five minute sessions. discard armatures after final cut of .258" - .260" (I would always keep final cut arms in my A-Main motors as the timing ramps up a little as the arm diameter goes down.)

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

I'm not opposed to modern motors at all. Most of all I am after a competitive brushed motor. I just know something like a Reedy TI Modified World Edition or possibly a Check Point motor would be cool and competitive.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

You're looking for a bunch of different things. Contemporary brushed motors are NOTHING like those of 1987, and brushless motors are completely different than anything with brushes ever made. They WILL NOT be competitive with current motors, and you probably aren't going to find an old 19T vintage motor.

Don't run vintage motors, as they were all designed for the batteries of the time, and the number of cells. Some were for 1400s and 7-cell voltage, and some were 1700 SCEs and 6-cells. None of them are going to be as fast as anything that was built in the last 5 years. New magnet materials, new brush materials, better endbells, better cooling, better manufacturing processes—it all effects the motor.

If you want a brushed motor that is a 10.5 equivalent, that puts you in the 19T range. There were dozens of machine and hand wound 19T motors out there before the brushless rage began, and a few are still out there. I have some Reedy Flame 19ts in my motor case that won't ever get used. You can have them if you want them.

If you want vintage motors, use them as display pieces. If you want a motor to race, buy something contemporary and be done with it. Cheaper, better and easy to find parts for if you should need them. But honestly, going back to a brushed motor right now seems like throwing away your 2.4gHz house phones in favor of a big, red plastic phone with a rotary dial.

There are SO many reasons to not regress...

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

ok you convinced me to use a modern modified motor. Not sure which one though. I am going to use lipo and modern esc, so it seems like a modern motor is the smart thing to go with. Just saved me a hundred bucks on the vintage Reedy motor I mentioned.

here is the link if anyone wants one http://www.modelflight.com.au/team_associated/reedy_titanium_motors.htm

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

That's not a vintage motor, unless you consider 5 year old motors "vintage." :lol: It's just one of the last Reedy motors before everyone decided that brushless was the future. :wink: That's about as contemporary as a brushed motor as you are going to find.

And actually, they didn't even make 19t handwounds. You'll have to find a machine wound 19t motor... those aren't really the same things.

"Taking into account all the dyno numbers, the Ti Worlds is one heck of a powerplant ... With more grunt than your everyday mod motor, the Ti Worlds is a true powerhouse worthy of the international racing scene." --Erich Reichert
Hahahah, who's that guy think he is? :D

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

he's the guy that rocks the party.

:mrgreen:

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Ba-zinga! :lol:

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

:lol: :lol: :oops: didn't realize that it was so...none vintage :mrgreen:

Is the TI that much better than one of your flame motors and would Erich agree :lol:

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

vintage AE wrote:Is the TI that much better than one of your flame motors and would Erich agree :lol:
You could not buy a 19t Reedy Ti motor—those were hand-wound motors. Most 19t motors are machine wound, because that was what the 19t class rules required. I have their 19t Reedy Flame motors that I ran in carpet touring cars and 1/12th scale cars. They were out at the same time, and the same "vintage" so to speak. ;)

I'm pretty sure I have a couple left in the motor case. I should check to make sure before I actually give them away. ;)

call-911
Approved Member

Post by call-911 »

Eau Rouge wrote:Ba-zinga! :lol:

Needed to add this

Keith C

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

Eau Rouge wrote:
"Taking into account all the dyno numbers, the Ti Worlds is one heck of a powerplant ... With more grunt than your everyday mod motor, the Ti Worlds is a true powerhouse worthy of the international racing scene." --Erich Reichert
Hahahah, who's that guy think he is? :D

LOL Doug. Still one of my favorite brushed motors to this day. It's funny to find my pull quotes still floating around on the internets.