Losi 'retro fit' trans help needed-

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Bormac
Approved Member

Losi 'retro fit' trans help needed-

Post by Bormac »

Hello Losi guru's. It's the year 2011 and I have commited myself to completing some long time 'incomplete' projects and this one has really been dragging on.

I have what you can see pictured below but the losi fans out there with a keen eye will know what's missing to complete this project. It would be a dream come true to have this trans set up in my JRX PRO but I need your help to do it!!

Im after what's missing, so if you can point me in the right direction (or better still help me out) please feel free to let me know.

Many thanks- Jason M.

-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

kenooze
Approved Member

Re: Losi 'retro fit' trans help needed-

Post by kenooze »

Jason,

The double pad slipper you will build came latter than this gear box (Pro SE trans).
It will be better to build it with and Hydradrive or just with the "old style" slipper.

About the differential, you need the inner bearings, and the plastic part to put inside the 4-40 mni locknut to lock the diff screw.

The flanged alloy spacer you have on pic, just fit the steel outdrives, not the plastic moldeds (made also for the XX).

You need also the diff outdrives bearings, the top shaft bearings and the inter pinion bearings with his shaft.

You need the upper pinion and the long set screw to fit the end of the top shaft and the slipper springs and retainers.

And for sure the motor plate and the gear box screws.

Becarfull, this gear box was designed to fit the molded Pro Se chassis, with the rear of the chassis cleared to fit the lower area of the gear box.
To use it on a Jrx Pro, you will have to cut or machin a square area in the chassis.

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Yikes. Didn't realize I'd have to clearance the chassis. Maybe I could source a XX trans and utilize the parts from it??
I also really wanted to use the slider drive shafts.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

kenooze
Approved Member

Post by kenooze »

Sure, all the parts looks the same as a XX, excepetd the gear case and the motor plate.

HWS_Losi
Approved Member

Post by HWS_Losi »

A template on the clearancing necessary to the chassis is available on the vintagelosi site as part of the XX retrofit instructions.

You have to clearance many Pro SE chassis as well, as many did not come with the recess molded in. Be careful or you will go all the way through the chassis and have a hole through to the bottom.

A retrofit tranny normally came with metal outdrives for a hybrid dogbone setup (original style outer joint, dogbone style inner).