Photo help

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Tadracket
Approved Member

Photo help

Post by Tadracket »

I was reading Jays thread regarding Inets pics and he referred to a "Tungsten" setting. I am shooting with an Olympus EVolt E-500 and can't find anything related to tungsten in the manual. I did find this however:

So if I set my color temp to 3200, that is the same thing??

And the link to Alex's thread on TammieClub does not work. Anyone have an updated one??
He's an idiot. Comes from upbringing. His parents are probably idiots too.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Re: Photo help

Post by Eau Rouge »

Match the color/light settings on your camera to whatever light you are shooting under. Set it to 3,200° if you are using Tungsten lights in a tabletop setup. Match the setting to the light source, and you'll be right on with the shots. If you can adjust the camera's color temps, then that's what you do using that chart to determine your light temps.

I shoot 95% of my R/C stuff now in my new shop which is lit with (8) T8 5,000° K cool fluorescent lights. I set my camera to compensate for "fluorescent lights" and leave it at that. With that, I do minimal Photoshop color correction afterwards.

I just snapped these a few minutes ago... hand-held (no tripod), no flash, 30mm lens, f/7.1 (aperture priority mode). It's a bit grainy because I push the ISO to about 400 indoors without a flash. These were not color corrected or anything other than the crop and outline in P-shop. Nothing professional or special, but better than about 99% of the R/C photography you see on the web.

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

I see what you're saying. Thanks for the info. Nice pics by the way. I use to have a little 30 page book I bought in grade school that was about RC cars. They had a pic of that one with a cut-away of the front wheel demonstrating the 4 wheel drive. Sweet car, I always loved it.
He's an idiot. Comes from upbringing. His parents are probably idiots too.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Look at you guys go with your bad shelves.... when doing motorsports, I never really messed too much with the Color/Temp ratings, as most of it was outside and I did not want to get into fooling with yet another adjustment. I primarily left it at 5000K.

When at home, I frankly have not made the time to "do it right", one because I am too lazy and two because I currently don't have space I want to set up a good mini studio.

It is good info though, Doug said it all.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com