Burnie's XX CR build

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Burniefloyd
Approved Member

Burnie's XX CR build

Post by Burniefloyd »

This is my first attempt at a build thread because I usually I forget to take pictures until it's too late. This time I didn't take pictures of what I was starting with but I have a bunch of parts on the way so I am kinda excited.

A little history, about 6/7 years ago I got a lot of a few XX's and XXT's . I held onto them for a bit but I am not a racer and I had never done an extravagant build before. I figured I was more of a "basher" so I sold them off for more modern stuff. Then I realized I am not a basher either, not sure what I am really, still trying to find my niche.

Anyway I kept one enough graphite parts to build into an XX CR but when I went to start putting it together I found this.
15889955875850.jpg
Bad way to start a build so my short attention span boxed it up and moved on to other things. When I recently bought another lot hoping to put the transmission into a Jrx2 I them realized that won't work either so I dug out the XX I had and started comparing parts and checking out what I had.  It's in pretty decent shape so I started cleaning it up.
15889955877242.jpg
15889956428114.jpg
15889956427493.jpg
15889955876601.jpg
This is what I am starting with after it has been cleaned up.  As you can probably see the front spindle are not correct. I am also missing the 2nd yoke and axle for the rear.  I had purchased a blue screw for the XX at the time and I started swapping out the screws but the pack didn't have a full set.  Searching around I picked up the needed parts and then fell down the rabbit hole.  I have quite a few things coming over the next week and while this won't be a "new" build I think it should be pretty cool.

I am gonna hold off on buying anything else until the new stuff comes in but I know I still need a front bulkhead, front bumper/skid plate and a body. I have to check my shock box, I know I have Jrx2 shocks but not sure if I have the fronts for the XX off the top of my head.

Finally the part I like the least is a new body, I really don't like painting lexan so I tend to stop my builds right before the finish line.

You guys build great stuff so any feedback or suggestions are welcome!
Self described chronic hobbyist

Burniefloyd
Approved Member

Re: Burnie's XX CR build

Post by Burniefloyd »

Imade a decent amount of progress with the build so far. I have learned quite a bit and probably need to start keeping notes on future build. I have been tripping all over myself having to make multiple orders for parts when I forget something or buying the wrong size etc...

Anyway, it's not complete yet but it's starting to come together.

I went with the Trinity wide front axles, blue Titanium turnbuckles yellow RPM ball cups, Sabula Tech ESC tray and transmission brace
15896615922010.jpg
I am waiting on blue wheel nuts and axle pins for the rear wheels and a set of bearings for the front.
15896611901900.jpg
15896611902231.jpg
15896611903202.jpg
I still need to source matching front shocks (or switch the backs to the black ones) a new front bumper/skid plate and a body. Everyone seems to be sold out on bodies so that may take some time.

I would also like to get new front brace from Sabula Tech when they make them next year. And I am off 1 blue 3/4" screw for the rear shock towers.

Does anyone know if the ivory colored steering links will take dye? Sticking with a blue/yellow theme I am thinking a blue steering brace would look nice.

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

I dyed a set of the ivory / (very) off-white XX adjustable steering links black with the RIT brand off fabric dye without any problem. Just be sure to follow the instructions for setting the dye - IIRC you need to add white vinegar and salt - if you haven’t used it before.
~I'm a lot older now than I was then and wish that I knew then what I know now~

Burniefloyd
Approved Member

Post by Burniefloyd »

My only experience with RIT dye was making tie dye t-shirts back in the day lol.