Tamiya King Cab refurb

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Burniefloyd
Approved Member

Tamiya King Cab refurb

Post by Burniefloyd »

This is my (almost complete) refurbished Tamiya King Cab.  I didn't take pictures during the process so only end shots.

I started with 3 King Cab/Monster Racer chassis. The intent was to combine all 3 into the best King Cab I could make because I had the proper rims then assess what was left to build a Monster Racer. 
15892407505870.jpg
15892407506651.jpg
I started by stripping down and cleaning all the parts and putting the best ones aside. I then reassembled the remaining pieces into 2 sliders.  I have a set of pink rims from a Bush Devil I may put on the second slider in the meantime. It is mostly complete, small chip in the chassis tray, a crack in the small tab on the transmission plate and it is missing the gear cover, dog bones and outdrives.

The King Cab is complete with manual esc and silver can motor. I do need a new gear cover as one of the screw tabs snapped off. I am also missing the plastic spacers in one of the shocks. As you can see I have Losi ribbed tires on the front. I think I have the original set but I have to look.  I polished the outdrives and dog bones and must say they do look nice!
15892408067606.jpg
15892407755265.jpg
The first 2 trucks went together great but the last one beat me up. I don't know what happened but everytime I turned around I had to disassemble another section because I couldn't reach a lock nut. I must have taken the battery tray off 15 times. Anyway I am not so sure I want to make that Monster Racer any more lol.

Once I find the front tires I just need to paint up a new shell and find a nice spot for it to rest.
15892407507002.jpg
15892407754854.jpg
15892407754123.jpg
Self described chronic hobbyist

tuna.Rc
Approved Member

Re: Tamiya King Cab refurb

Post by tuna.Rc »

Looking good.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Nice achievement, and great truck, the King Cab!
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Rider400
Approved Member

Post by Rider400 »

Burniefloyd wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:31 pm This is my (almost complete) refurbished Tamiya King Cab.  I didn't take pictures during the process so only end shots.

I started with 3 King Cab/Monster Racer chassis. The intent was to combine all 3 into the best King Cab I could make because I had the proper rims then assess what was left to build a Monster Racer. 
Got any unneeded parts kicking around?

Burniefloyd
Approved Member

Post by Burniefloyd »

I'm not sure. I sold off the 2 parts cars in the pic. I'll have to look but I have no power right now thanks to Henri

Rider400
Approved Member

Post by Rider400 »

Burniefloyd wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:05 pm I'm not sure. I sold off the 2 parts cars in the pic. I'll have to look but I have no power right now thanks to Henri
No rush but if you find anything do let me know thanks.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Burniefloyd wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:05 pm I have no power right now thanks to Henri
Living on the Gulf Coast, the threat of hurricanes is constant. Before hurricane Sandy, a friend of mine from the New Jersey area asked me what we do for a category 1 storm. I told him that I go to work.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

Burniefloyd
Approved Member

Post by Burniefloyd »

juicedcoupe wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:54 pm
Burniefloyd wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:05 pm I have no power right now thanks to Henri
Living on the Gulf Coast, the threat of hurricanes is constant. Before hurricane Sandy, a friend of mine from the New Jersey area asked me what we do for a category 1 storm. I told him that I go to work.
Lol I bet. New England storms aren't bad at all. Because I live a bit into the woods I tend to lose power with heavy winds. All in all I like living in the Northeast, storms a mild, no tornadoes, minimal poisonous insects and reptiles, no extreme temperatures in either direction. The wife and I talk about relocating when we get to retirement but other than the occasional snowstorm I don't mind New England / Rhode Island at all. It's pretty convenient and everything's close together. You know you met a Rhode islander when they tell you that anything over 20 minutes is too far to drive...

Rider400
Approved Member

Post by Rider400 »

Burniefloyd wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:04 pm
juicedcoupe wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:54 pm
Lol I bet. New England storms aren't bad at all. Because I live a bit into the woods I tend to lose power with heavy winds. All in all I like living in the Northeast, storms a mild, no tornadoes, minimal poisonous insects and reptiles, no extreme temperatures in either direction. The wife and I talk about relocating when we get to retirement but other than the occasional snowstorm I don't mind New England / Rhode Island at all. It's pretty convenient and everything's close together. You know you met a Rhode islander when they tell you that anything over 20 minutes is too far to drive...
Just those dreaded ticks :(