help with mip sp45 4x4 kit and chassis modded for sp2

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

badhoopty
Approved Member

help with mip sp45 4x4 kit and chassis modded for sp2

Post by badhoopty »

ok... this is an auction i listed on ebay with some stuff i dug up out of my hoard. its an mip sp45 4x4 kit with a modded chassis.

10talk member here JPAE07 bought it sunday but a few days prior i came across something a little weird.

while searching for fusion speed info i came across a shodog build of his sp-45/fusion speed build and immediately noticed that he mounted his steering posts differently than the chassis i have, he mounted his steering post holes back and further apart from the stock location, while the tub i have has the steering post holes mounted back and a little narrower than the stock location... when i looked into what the deal was i found that the steering post mods for the sp2 chaindrive and sp45 belt drive are different, which i was completely ignorant to. i thought the only difference between the 2 versions was one had a belt and the other a chain... :oops:

my question is, will this sp2 modded chassis work with the sp45 kit? if not i owe jeff a refund or resolution.

i attached an overlay of the sp2 and sp45 chassis templates, the black lines are sp2 and the blue are sp45. i uses the front tranny mount holes to line it all up.

to me it looks like it will work, but i dont want to give somebody who paid quite a bit something janky or incorrect.

any help would be much appreciated.
Attachments
SP-2ChainDrive_sp45overlay2.jpg
20240314_134103.jpg
20240314_134112.jpg

JPAE07
Approved Member

Re: help with mip sp45 4x4 kit and chassis modded for sp2

Post by JPAE07 »

Awesome post! Thank you Hoop!

This probably just adds to the mystery and doesn’t solve it.

I have been researching as much as I can, the post issue, on RC10 talk. I located the SP-2 instructions as went back and forth through the pictures and instructions. The holes look pretty close. It just looked like the holes for the front gear box were all that’s left.

Then while trying to search for pictures of finished builds I came across the SP-45 instructions. Only 2 pages?? Either the SP-45 instructions are missing pages or did MIP just attach the 2 SP-45 instruction pages to the SP-2? Or was SP-45 an upgrade to the SP-2 kit?

First, I noticed were the post locations being different, wider apart.

Second, I see the discussion about notching the front shock tower for the front gearbox. But I see no cutting template. Weird.

Third, the SP-45 instructions mention some different parts. I’m wondering if the sprocket design is different on the SP-45 where it has a wall on either side of the sprocket to keep the belt captured.

Any help clarification is much appreciated!!!

badhoopty
Approved Member

Re: help with mip sp45 4x4 kit and chassis modded for sp2

Post by badhoopty »

lol, i appreciate you bein cool but dont thank me. this is my bad and this damn stuff is cursed.

heres a decent reference for mip stuff.
http://www.toybaron.com/MIPreference.htm

down a ways it has 5 pages of the sp45 instructions. i created a pdf and uploaded it to my google drive. also copied a pdf of the sp2 instructions from a member here.

sp45

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e-BrsQf7u7jzGZJFGl0TyCfKOm5fsZbz/view?usp=share_link

sp2

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K0e2L_udvzt_hQNsg0IgqEKv0Im9J13N/view?usp=share_link