Sedan spec motors for offroad?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

toykilla
Approved Member

Sedan spec motors for offroad?

Post by toykilla »

I can get several NIB mod motors for pretty cheap but they are sedan spec motors. I have been out of the hobby for a very long time and wondered what the motor characteristics would be like on these? I am guessing lower torque but higher speeds? These should do decent in a buggy?

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Re: Sedan spec motors for offroad?

Post by Bongo Fury »

Those are probably fairly low turn motors (what vintage?), probably more than a handful in an offroad buggy, at least a 2wd.

toykilla
Approved Member

Post by toykilla »

Bongo Fury wrote:Those are probably fairly low turn motors (what vintage?), probably more than a handful in an offroad buggy, at least a 2wd.
They are the new Peak Racing Vantage motors. 7turns to 11turns.

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

From my perspective (clodbuster ), those are pretty hot motors. I would think that a 7 to 11 turn motor is going to be quite peppy for an average runner/basher. If you're planning on racing, God only knows what the spec's are for the class you want to run.
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

toykilla
Approved Member

Post by toykilla »

I am more concerned about whether sedan/touring spec motors would be good for offroad. i.e. how is a 10T sedan more going to run compared with a 10T offroad motor?

wyldbill
Approved Member

Post by wyldbill »

how is a 10T sedan more going to run compared with a 10T offroad motor?
mainly its how the motor is tuned to the specific powerband required for that class. that all can be compensated though with different gearing and sometimes you can run "torquey" motors where you normally would not. in my expierence a 4wd sedan motor always made for great oval motors no matter what class,stock or mod. gobbs and gobbs of low end torque, just think about it sedans/touring cars have to lug around and turn all thoes drivetrain components on all 4 corners. most of the time touring cars run on carpet tracks with gumballs for tires soaked in traction compounds therefor requiring more torque. this is just what is needed in an oval car to get it off a corner and down the straightaway. i know a few guys that run oval,offroad,and sedans and they all say that they use touring car tuned motors in all of their cars. touring car tracks almost always have 1 good long straightaway just like off road tracks except 1 has jumps and one has high bite carpeted turns both requiring torque to negotiate.

toykilla
Approved Member

Post by toykilla »

wyldbill wrote:
how is a 10T sedan more going to run compared with a 10T offroad motor?
mainly its how the motor is tuned to the specific powerband required for that class. that all can be compensated though with different gearing and sometimes you can run "torquey" motors where you normally would not. in my expierence a 4wd sedan motor always made for great oval motors no matter what class,stock or mod. gobbs and gobbs of low end torque, just think about it sedans/touring cars have to lug around and turn all thoes drivetrain components on all 4 corners. most of the time touring cars run on carpet tracks with gumballs for tires soaked in traction compounds therefor requiring more torque. this is just what is needed in an oval car to get it off a corner and down the straightaway. i know a few guys that run oval,offroad,and sedans and they all say that they use touring car tuned motors in all of their cars. touring car tracks almost always have 1 good long straightaway just like off road tracks except 1 has jumps and one has high bite carpeted turns both requiring torque to negotiate.

Thanks that helps

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Post by Bongo Fury »

Looking at Stormer Hobbies 19.99 blowout? I've thought of grabbing a couple just to have, use for playing around, save my vintage stuff. But the 11 turn and below is too much for me. I'm going to keep an eye out for similar deals, I'd like some in the 15~19 turn range, preferably double winds.