First time with a brushless car...

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

PTModIT
Approved Member

Re: First time with a brushless car...

Post by PTModIT »

I'm running a CC 5700 Pro Max with a 3s lipo.I set the stealth exactly how it says in this.http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3721.It might be hard to read.There should be another on here that is more clear.I did not lube the inside of the stealth.It run straight with no spin outs on take off.The only lub inside the stealth came from our natural body oils. LOL.

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

I was thinking more about it and Id bet the oil/combo your running is effecting the diff itself . I use ONLY Associated black and clear diff grease in EVERYTHING. it is the best and the most consistant. I have tried other makes and its not the same. I wouldnt give up on your stock diff yet....
Goodluck
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

Dave145
Approved Member

Post by Dave145 »

ok that's what i needed to know for the evader diff. As for donuts? I get a donut if I even touch the steering wheel on this new system once I'm up to top speed. As for lube and my diff, I sanded my diff rings down with 2200 grit sandpaper to make them smooth, put a light coating of Marvel lubricating oil on them to make them smoother, put some Marvel on all the balls to make them smoother, and then lubed the entire diff with a half tube of black grease (okay maybe not quite a half I was never good with fractions and estimating :lol: ). Anywho @PTModIT, you say you run no lubes in the diff? Just the rings and the balls with no lube? Sounds like that would smoke the diff a little faster, but that's how I always ran my graphite rc10 with the same trans and a yokomo 14t motor (that car kicked a**, especially when I beat a brushless slash with it). I'll have to get a new diff gear for my stealth, but in the meantime I have a 6 gear with the steel idlers in it and I have my slash tranny. Votes? Opinions? Which should I try first? I'm thinking I'll tray the Slash tranny first especially now that the truck is wrecked. (stupid cement pole :oops: )

Bimdapogs
Approved Member

Post by Bimdapogs »

Dave145 wrote:ok that's what i needed to know for the evader diff. As for donuts? I get a donut if I even touch the steering wheel on this new system once I'm up to top speed. As for lube and my diff, I sanded my diff rings down with 2200 grit sandpaper to make them smooth, put a light coating of Marvel lubricating oil on them to make them smoother, put some Marvel on all the balls to make them smoother, and then lubed the entire diff with a half tube of black grease (okay maybe not quite a half I was never good with fractions and estimating :lol: ). Anywho @PTModIT, you say you run no lubes in the diff? Just the rings and the balls with no lube? Sounds like that would smoke the diff a little faster, but that's how I always ran my graphite rc10 with the same trans and a yokomo 14t motor (that car kicked a**, especially when I beat a brushless slash with it). I'll have to get a new diff gear for my stealth, but in the meantime I have a 6 gear with the steel idlers in it and I have my slash tranny. Votes? Opinions? Which should I try first? I'm thinking I'll tray the Slash tranny first especially now that the truck is wrecked. (stupid cement pole :oops: )
That sounds wrong.. What's Marvel lubricating oil?

Use Stealth Diff grease on the diff balls. Not too much!
Then Black grease on the thrust balls. You wouldn't need much for that as well.

Dave145
Approved Member

Post by Dave145 »

okay I get it. The Marvel oil is some lightweight machine oil I just use for a light coating on metal parts before packing them with actual grease. So no one knows where I could find a metal diff gear? I've been all over the internet but still found nothing... I might be able to get one made from the machine shop here by my house but I'm not sure of the cost. If I do get one, would anybody else be interested in one as well so I can look into possible bulk pricing?

Bimdapogs
Approved Member

Post by Bimdapogs »

That's probably why your diff is slipping leading to melting. The Stealth grease was made so the balls won't slip on the rings. Don't use anything else.

Plastic diff gears are fine. I'd concentrate more on properly building the diff.

PTModIT
Approved Member

Post by PTModIT »

No lube in the stealth for the teeth on the gears. You use ONLY AE#6636 stealth silicone grease for the diff balls and ONLY the black grease(not sure the number) for the thrust bearing.It's all in that text I posted. Use nothing else but what AE recommends.

PTModIT
Approved Member

Post by PTModIT »

You don't need the metal gears.Like bimdapogs says, concentrate on building the stealth they way Cliff lett says.I did and know problems. Just use the right grease.

Dave145
Approved Member

Post by Dave145 »

Well that makes sense... that must be why my rc10 graphite ran so much smoother for so much longer without a rebuild. :D

Dave145
Approved Member

Post by Dave145 »

Some special news though, I did get my 2wd Slash transmission bolted on to my goldpan using the original 6 gear holes and some aluminum.
Attachments
phpuuOZujPM.jpg
phpuuOZujPM.jpg (53.75 KiB) Viewed 956 times
phpuuOZujPM.jpg
phpuuOZujPM.jpg (53.75 KiB) Viewed 956 times
phpirYiFPPM.jpg
phpirYiFPPM.jpg (71.92 KiB) Viewed 956 times
phpirYiFPPM.jpg
phpirYiFPPM.jpg (71.92 KiB) Viewed 956 times
phpEhiXozPM.jpg
phpEhiXozPM.jpg (55.22 KiB) Viewed 956 times
phpEhiXozPM.jpg
phpEhiXozPM.jpg (55.22 KiB) Viewed 956 times
phpD1iKFlPM.jpg
phpD1iKFlPM.jpg (62.31 KiB) Viewed 956 times
phpD1iKFlPM.jpg
phpD1iKFlPM.jpg (62.31 KiB) Viewed 956 times
php6Do0BpPM.jpg
php6Do0BpPM.jpg (64.13 KiB) Viewed 956 times
php6Do0BpPM.jpg
php6Do0BpPM.jpg (64.13 KiB) Viewed 956 times
php3sXIrQPM.jpg
php3sXIrQPM.jpg (57.67 KiB) Viewed 956 times
php3sXIrQPM.jpg
php3sXIrQPM.jpg (57.67 KiB) Viewed 956 times

Dave145
Approved Member

Post by Dave145 »

now to add the front spindles and the front wheels for that "custom mini short course truck" look. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

Or just use Bandit rear wheels to return it back to "buggy" size.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

Dave145
Approved Member

Post by Dave145 »

I put it back to buggy size this afternoon for a short run on some medium length grass and some dirt and the car was really for a lack of better words a turd. No acceleration, no speed, running a 19/90 gear ratio as the castle manual suggests. The clutch never fully let the gear train engage and was alwys slipping even at half throttle,and the diff was even worse. The diff had a very large amount of lag in performance. Even if the clutch would stop slipping enough to let the gear train run free, the diff still seemed lazy and lagged when putting power to the left wheel causing rhe car to drive in circles. I'm not sure what that was all about, but I'm either attributing it to a faulty diff (go figure), the small 1.9" rear tires, or the fact that my supposed buggy is 4.25 pounds when fully loaded. Guess I'll try a 6 gear tranny while i repair the stealth....

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

Slash' dont have a ball diff, they have gear diff which sucks. thats why real race cars like the rc10 stealth tranny dont use them.
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

Dave145
Approved Member

Post by Dave145 »

Well that would explain it. I've always favored the gear diff for durability, but this test today kind of makes me lean towards the ball diff.