Revitalizing an OLD RC10

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Re: Revitalizing an OLD RC10

Post by knucklebuster »

LJH wrote:ASC,
After seeing what a NIP nose goes for I thought the same thing, I won a used, but straight looking, nose on fleabag the other night for $2.00.

Cheers,
Jim
I try and pad my paypal account to fund the hobby. At some point you ask yourself, "do I need a NIP nose or a used one a two new lipos." I chose lipos.

LJH

Post by LJH »

Just wanted to give you guys an update. My old RC10 looks like a car again. I totally disassembled her and cleaned her up a bit, I did find during disassemble that most of the 6 gear transmission had bushing in it so I replaced every bushing with bearings. Because of the bushings the top shaft was visibly worn so I tracked down a new one and I also found that the car had the white idler gears in the box so I found a set of the black gears. I decided to put the white gears back in as they looked fine but if they do fail I have replacements. The original nose piece was pretty bent up so I ordered a used one that looked decent but when it was delivered I found that someone must have used different pitched fasteners to attach it and even after running a 8-32 tap through them they still were not up to snuff. The guy I bought it from is replacing the nose but in the mean time I spent some time in the shop with a vise and got the original nose pretty darn straight and installed it. Because of the damage to the nose the tubes were pretty bent up so I purchased some aluminum rod and drilled and tapped it to make new tubes....I was surprised how well that went together. The shocks were cleaned and refilled with 35 weight oil and so far do not seem to be leaking. The only other thing I replaced was the spur and pinion with a 48 pitch set in a 81/20 ratio. I have went with a Hobbywing 60A EZ ESC and I am waiting on my 13.5T 4 pole motor to arrive which should be today. I have two pack I will be using, both 2S & 20C and one is a 3300Mah and the other is a 4000Mah. All in all the car is pretty presentable, at some point I want to replace the turnbuckles as they are the originals and not completely straight and the body as it is a body that I painted in my college dorm room and kind of beat up not to mention it is not sporting a terribly sexy paint job.

All in all I am really physced that I put the time and effort into getting her going again. She looks pretty decent and I am hoping with full bearings and attention to details that she should be reliable for the foreseeable future.....lord knows she has been through hell and back in her first life but now has a new lease on life....wonder if she will make it through another 25+ years?

Thanks for all the help and tips and once she is 100% completed I will snap some pictures and show you guys.

Cheers,
Jim

REMJ666
Approved Member

Post by REMJ666 »

I won't believe it untill i see some pictures :P :)
Late Edinger Gold Pan # 6010 .....Vintage Blackfoot....Electrix Circuit Stadium Truck ....Kyosho Ultima Pro XL

LJH

Post by LJH »

She runs....with mostly no issues. About the only issue I am having is the rear shocks are leaking like sieves from the top. She is not as fast as I thought she would be with a GPS verified top speed of 16MPH but plenty of torque for throttle on oversteer. I think I could gear her a bit taller since 15 minutes of running resulted in the motor being just barely above ambient temp....she is also pretty miserly in amp draw using just over 1100mah in 15 minutes of running. I will say that the rear tires are showing significant wear after just 30 minutes of use... :shock:

Here are some pictures of her.

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

Good to hear you got it running. Here's the fix for the leaking shock caps:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWC16&P=SM

I believe it's safe to say you can gear it up some more. I've run a 23/81 gear with no issues, and the motor didn't get too hot.

Try uploading your pics again.

-Russ
The older I get, the faster I was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyGKBTUJ-L0

REMJ666
Approved Member

Post by REMJ666 »

Nice pics dude :P Sorry for breakin balls about that...I had picture trouble in the beginning also...So i kinda know how it is :)
Late Edinger Gold Pan # 6010 .....Vintage Blackfoot....Electrix Circuit Stadium Truck ....Kyosho Ultima Pro XL

LJH

Post by LJH »

OK...just been playing around and for some reason I cannot get my pics to stick....I can on the other boards I am active on. I will play around some more.

I also played around with a amp draw calculator and it seems I am only drawing an average of just over 9 amps.....heck, my 20oz 3D planes draw more and that is on 3S. Am I WAY off on my gearing? I am seeing a top speed of around 16MPH according to my iPhone which seems like it is probably pretty accurate but I do want to put my car GPS on it which seem to react faster then the iPhone. Now, I do not want to make this thing a gearbox eating monster but it seems like I am totally under utilizing the motor set up which is a EZRun 13.5T (3300KV) true 540 sized motor and a EZrun 60A ESC which even after 30+ minutes of use is barely above ambient temps. I am a total newbie with car power systems but I think I am pretty good setting up planes and if this system was in a plane I would be going for much steeper gears or adding another cell with the numbers/Temps I am seeing. With all that said I am not sure I would want much more power as traction is an issue but that might be because of 20 year old rubber....which, BTW, will not last long as the tires are wearing shockingly quickly.

Cheers,
Jim