Hot Trick RC10

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mrlexan
Approved Member

Re: Hot Trick RC10

Post by mrlexan »

Swiss cheese anyone.... can't say I have seen that front tower before, it is different from mine. Woobie, what say yee?
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

ya it is a strange one, i did see one once somewhere, looking at tamiya club now, but im pretty sure it belongs with the car. the noseplate and shock tower are MUCH wider than a stock one, the holes are different on the noseplate and the holes are different on the shock towers to match.

Im going to try and salvage the nose plate by having it milled out, to leave a clean hollow space between the holes but still retain all the factory holes. i think im going to abortion it because im horrible at milling, so unless someone here can help i think im gonna fire up the machine tommorow lol.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

I have the wide front end too, but my tower looks like the regular 10 tower, only wider.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

ya in looking at pictures i see that, dont what this tower is then, but it did fit ok, cant tell if the holes are original or not but i dont see how they couldnt be.

god i remember in the 80's looking at a WALL of this hot trick stuff and thinking... damn these parts are made totally crappy, i wouldnt waste a fricken penny on them lol.. it was a weird company too, they made very small runs of things and would never ship re-orders for new parts if they were just kinda done making them.. it was pretty funny.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Mike, if you like I also have a red wide foot front end that has extra holes, but not as much as the one you picked with the buggy, I can shoot you some pics through PM if you like...

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Hi Mike,

I have a set of front arms which have never been run which I could take pics of for you if you'd like them?

They were on this car (I replaced them with regular RC10 arms though as I want to run this car eventually)

http://upload4.postimage.org/1698877/rc10.jpg

in this thread.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=518

The only problem with them is someone has marked them with a Dremel but they are otherwise perfect and when installed is barely noticable.

Give me a shout if you're interested.

cheers

Woobie
Approved Member

Post by Woobie »

Can't say I have ever seen that front shock mount before. Looks just like the HT Wide Foot front, except for the fact that it has those little tabs at the top, instead of just going straight up and terminating.

The problem with the RC10 Hot Trick set up, is that the side plates (body mounts) came with the chassis plate, as opposed to most of the other cars, that just used a universal angle piece.

You really looked at those parts and thought that they were made crappy?? Just curious what would make you think that........practical? No! A work of art? I say yes! I have yet to see anything made by Hot Trick that made me think they were made crappy, but that is just my opinion.

Scott

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Scott, I also own a complete HT RC10 conversion, and yes it looks awesome and blinging, but I can't figure any part that really bring something better than the stock components. The shock travel is a real PITA, the chassis is more than "flexy", all the bolted hinge pins would not hold even a light shock, the steering rack that moves up and down because it is screwed on the steering posts always makes me laugh and the list goes on... IMHO, the only thing where they really upgraded the stock RC10 is precisely the wide foot front end...

Here's a linky to mine: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=465

I have to update the thread as I have recently bolted a Team Pit Stop tranny on it and a pretty nice alu wing...

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

well you gotta remember, this was the 80's lol, i know guys that "ran them" at races and such, and saw broken hinge pins, hinge pins that fell out, dog bones that would pop out cause the setup was a bit "sloppy", etc etc lol.

I think hot trick was a great company, they whipped out parts for cars where no one else dared lol, or could for that matter. i thought they were crappy in the strict term of racing only. I remember seeing guys running the fiberglass chassis, and fiberglass is no where near as strong as graphite or aluminum was, and these guys were ALL over the place on the track cause there was SOOO much chassis flex. These guys would land jumps and the car would rebound/flex so much it would flip over back to front.

Hopups for the rc10 is one thing i always loved to collect and buy as a young racer, hot trick is no exception and i appreciate the quality and work that went into them.

Woobie wrote:Can't say I have ever seen that front shock mount before. Looks just like the HT Wide Foot front, except for the fact that it has those little tabs at the top, instead of just going straight up and terminating.

The problem with the RC10 Hot Trick set up, is that the side plates (body mounts) came with the chassis plate, as opposed to most of the other cars, that just used a universal angle piece.

You really looked at those parts and thought that they were made crappy?? Just curious what would make you think that........practical? No! A work of art? I say yes! I have yet to see anything made by Hot Trick that made me think they were made crappy, but that is just my opinion.

Scott

FlyinGN
Approved Member

Post by FlyinGN »

figured Id post some more pics of my HTS frog/rc-10.. It was actually a strong runner in the 80's and I was many a A mains with it:)

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

I raced with a guy who did something very similar...Hot Trick Chassis & parts, Frog trans, RC10 suspension front/rear, with truck tires...went pretty well.

Those were they days when RC was half kit/half scratch build. :(
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Very impressive considering the high center of gravity with the frog transmission. :)

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

got a new hot trick rc10 coming, pictures are terrible, hopefully will be nice when it gets here lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180177643538

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Post by templeofspeed »

Looks like some good stuff buried in there.

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

ya i cant wait to start digging, i always wanted to make a tuber frog lol, probably will be the first of its kind haha