'93 Works YZ10, welcome to the family

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

flustorm99
Approved Member

Re: '93 Works YZ10, welcome to the family

Post by flustorm99 »

Hey, whats the wing on your 94 runner? Looks like a solid piece of wing, almost like my RC8.2e wing?

Also thanks for your hex conversion vid, seems straight forward . But really you would end up with the same rwsult as just putting on JC wheels right?ie width wise? You can measure your outside tyre to outside tyre width dimensions for front and back for me could you as a reference point?

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Are you referring to the yellow wing? That one is not a runner, but anyway...that is a JConcepts 7" wing that I custom fit to the YZ10. It's clear lexan which I painted fluorescent yellow.

As for the hex conversion, you may not end up with the same width. I'm not going to convert it back just to make a measurement, but I'd say it's pretty close and depends on the wheel offset and the wheel hub. The stock yokomo wheel hubs are rather thick and the wheel offset is small. With the hex conversion, you can compensate on the narrower hex wheel hub by using something like JConcepts Mono rims, which I think have a larger wheel offset than the stock Yokomo rims. Also, there are a few hex wheel hubs out there of different widths. You can use the HPI unit that I'm using, which I think is 5mm wide. If you want a little more width and if the threads on the axle have enough space for it, Traxxas makes a plastic wheel hub that is something like 12mm wide. I'm not too much of a stickler about it for my 870c. I had some HPI units lying around, so I just threw those on and went out and kicked some butt ;)

hondaman
Approved Member

Post by hondaman »

flustorm99 wrote:Hey, whats the wing on your 94 runner? Looks like a solid piece of wing, almost like my RC8.2e wing?

Also thanks for your hex conversion vid, seems straight forward . But really you would end up with the same rwsult as just putting on JC wheels right?ie width wise? You can measure your outside tyre to outside tyre width dimensions for front and back for me could you as a reference point?
From what I have read and noticed is the works 93 has longer suspension arms and the offset on the wheels is less as well as the 93 having thinner hubs than the 870c along with different hub carriers (compared my parts that I have for my 870c and works93).. to run JC wheels on a stock 870c you would want a custom wheel hub to get the offset correct or do a conversionto get longer suspension arms on the 870c.. there is an 870c project onthe board that did this.. I'll look for it when I get home.. have it bookmarked..

@stickboy007: great videos for the 870c! Lots of good info for a hex conversion.. going to look into doing this for my own runner project at some point but for now, I am going with the wide front set up with stock parts for now.. your 93 came out very nice too.. mine is in a holding pattern as I look for parts and time..

Shawn

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Thanks!

flustorm99
Approved Member

Post by flustorm99 »

Cheers thanks!

Hi stickboy, i was more interested in the width you have with your current hex conversion.

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Depends on the rims. With the Cyber 10B rims, front/rear width is 9/9.25 inches.

flustorm99
Approved Member

Post by flustorm99 »

Thanks! Yeah with the 91 wheels on my 870 its around just under 9 inches and i think the standard setup is about 9 1/2.

flustorm99
Approved Member

Post by flustorm99 »

Hi i just picked up a 93' too! Yippee...although it is no where near as nice as yours...needed alota rebuilding, was an x UK racer with modified everything! Question: any idea where i can get the ball studs for the wide steering brace? I have seen fibrelyte can make the brace itself.

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Good question! I just picked up another '93 (was on eBay recently) and have the exact same problem. Searched all over for it, and found one set at toprcsupply.com. Their shipping costs are horrendous, but they offered free shipping for orders over $100 USD. Why pay $60 shipping for a $3 part when I can get $100 worth of parts with free shipping? So that's what I did. They only had one of those ball stud sets, though, and I got the last one. Maybe somebody on here has a set...?

flustorm99
Approved Member

Post by flustorm99 »

So u grabbed the 93 from hong kong hey.... I ended up getting the mtv one and then your one popped up...couldnt believe it as i have only seen two on ebay! I was very tempted to get the second one as it was a great deal! The 91 on there now is also a good deal. Anyway did u get the whole brace or was it the ball stufdd? And 60 for shipping..wow. Did u search for a part no or the studd itself? The 93 i ended up getting the guy through in the original hassis and top deck thank god as thr carbon one was crap...when i get 5 i will throw some pics up! I did like the shell though...cleaned it up and it came up fairly good...

flustorm99
Approved Member

Post by flustorm99 »

Do i think that sight may get more? Was it the specific ones for the 93 or something close? What did u search for? I am not on bst yet so hopefully when i get access fingers crossed someone has a set. Otherwise i may ask a engineering shop here to make up say 100 then sell to peeps in the same predicament.

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Yes, I got the one from Hong Kong. Still hasn't shipped yet, so not sure when it will be in. Might be a few weeks, but I have plenty of time, as I have plenty of projects going on...

I did not see a '91 Works on eBay. There is one that is labeled as a '92 Works, but based on the towers and the belts, it looks like the owner converted it mostly back to a '91. What a shame, because the '92 is very cool. There was a '92 on eBay UK a few days ago. I asked the owner if he'd ship to the U.S. and even offered to pay for the extra shipping cost, but no dice. Again, such a shame...

As for this '93, I purchased both a torque rod (ZC 405c) and a torque rod ball set (ZC 406c). I believe the ball set has those two ball studs I need, but can only guess, as I have not been able to find any pictures of that specific part number. I did search quite extensively for a substitute part, but so far I have not been able to find a ballstud that has two mounting screw holes running through it. It is quite a unique part. If you could get a machine shop to make them, that would be awesome, as it is an extremely difficult part to find.

I plan on getting an upper deck from Fibre-Lyte and possibly a lower deck to match. I have to say I don't like the towers they have under the '93 Works section, because those are not the same shape as the original '93 towers and look more like the '94 towers. They are probably a stronger design, but they do not replicate the originals. I found a few original rear '93 towers, but am still looking for spare fronts. What I might do is try to make my own, but I cannot guarantee success on that. For either this '93 or my '91 that I'm working on (well...soon I'll be working on it), I'd like to get parts made (or make them myself) with either white or red carbon fiber plates (link to red one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111248373915). That would look really hot...

flustorm99
Approved Member

Post by flustorm99 »

Yeah i have spoken a couple of times to the guy re the 92 and i tried to get the price down but he didnt seem to have an issue shipping ti Australia and shipping was part included in the price?! Wierd.

Also yeah i meant the one with the box and the 92 sticker. I thinks its a good buy..apart from adding the shipping.

The part no i think for the complete brace setup is zc404c? I did find a pic on this sight for that ..there was that AND 3 other nip packers for sale recently for $200 which was a bit steep!?

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

ZC 404c may indeed be the full set. I googled it and the picture looked about right.

$200 is highway robbery. But hey...if you have a rare part, then you control the supply. Not saying that's what I would charge, but that's the nature of the beast.

flustorm99
Approved Member

Post by flustorm99 »

yes this is true....still a rip off....but a soerly needed part....did u get the brace from fiberlyte or was that one of the NIP packs u got? Also you cant do some measurements for me on the ball studs and or trace out the brace so i can make a copy my self? i have some spare carbon fibre lying around that i was going to use for some parts.