Not much gold left on this gold pan!

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Re: Not much gold left on this gold pan!

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

If it were me I would just space the servo over a bit.
I really can't; I've already notched the nose plate within 3/32" of the rear screw, and the bellcrank arm clears the servo by less than that.

It's all good, though. I like making custom parts, and this nose brace I envision will look pretty cool when done.
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

I ordered two versions of AEs solution to this - the alloy and plastic brackets as used in GT variants. I'll have a play with those and see which is best, or make something better.
GARBO 1/8

Orange
Approved Member

Post by Orange »

What if you flipped the servo over and swapped the steering arms around? Or you could get a shorty helicopter servo Like a savox sc1251mg. :mrgreen:

http://www.savoxusa.com/Savox_SC1251MG_Digital_Servo_p/savsc1251mg.htm

I used this Futaba 9551 in my Kyosho 4wd for a couple of seasons too:

Sean Sanchez
Gallery:
The World is Orange! Latest Update: 03/31/16
My feedback

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Well, didn't have anything scheduled work-wise this morning, so I got after this piece. All done!

The brace, mount and hardware weigh only 1.3 ounces, still keeping me just slightly under stock weight (by about 1/2 ounce, but still.....)

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

I think that is ready to be used as a battering ram now!

I may try something a little more subtle.
GARBO 1/8

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

can you supply more information on the losi tie-rods you used?
Forgot to answer this one. Just a set of standard mini 8ight turnbuckles. They'd be a little short with stock AE stubby rod ends, but work fine with RPM cups. They thread in without modification, though a bit tighter than 4-40 rods, since they are 3mm. An economical solution at only $10 for the set of 6.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Losi-LOSB1893-MINI-8IGHT-Turnbuckle-Set-/190993315184?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c7816b570

uniquenamehere
Approved Member

Post by uniquenamehere »

Wow... "beefy" doesn't quite cut it to explain your front brace... nice!

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Well, buggy was awesome at the track today. Definitely took some getting used to, especially with so many changes since the last time (chassis, shocks, rear tires & ESC). Those bar codes get some amazing traction on the clay-almost too much, as I flipped myself over backwards a few times trying to punch it for a jump when I was short on space. When it didn't flip, I often overshot the landings by quite a bit. Doesn't help that I was transitioning between 5 different vehicles all afternoon, though, and each one behaves very differerntly (Theothers were a brushed A stamp buggy, a 10T, my Warthog buggy and the Prolite).

Definitely need to spend some time dialing it in, but I'm really liking it so far. I only ran the 3S pack today, but I'll try it on 2S next time, see if it's a little more manageable on this tight track.

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

kink wrote:I think that is ready to be used as a battering ram now!

I agree! It looks GREAT! It is definitely deserving a name like Thor's Hammer at this point with how stout it is!

I like it!

Chris
Losi - Jrx2, Pro, Jr2, Pro SE, JrxT, JrT, LXT, NXT, XXKE, XXTG+
Mini - T, LST, LST2, Crawler
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T
Crawlers - Trx4 Defender, Bootleg Bruiser Shelf Queen
-Bashers under contruction- Jrx2

Wicked6

Post by Wicked6 »

clm wrote:
kink wrote:I think that is ready to be used as a battering ram now!

I agree! It looks GREAT! It is definitely deserving a name like Thor's Hammer at this point with how stout it is!

I like it!

Chris
Ha! That one made me chuckle. Definitely Thor's Hammer should stick with the project. :lol: :lol:

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

She proved to be one tough critter again at the track today. Did break one rear arm mount, but considering that my driving was a little off today, and the track claimed my Prolite (another front CVA), my Warthog (sheared off the rear arm screws-both of them) and my 10T (both rear hub carriers and a fractured wheel), I'd say I've managed to turn a once-fragile gold pan in to quite the bruiser!

As an aside, this was my first time out with JConcepts Barcodes on the front, and I'm not a fan. I love them on the rear, but Proline Scrubs work much better on the steering end.

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Update:

Found a couple more mods to do. Lol. She now sports RPS steering, GT wide front axles, handmade 7075-T6 rear arm mounts and some nice 5 spoke wheels with gold compound barcodes all around. We'll see how the changes pan out this weekend!

For fun, one to show just how big this Tamiya 801Xt is:

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

Sixtysixdeuce wrote:She proved to be one tough critter again at the track today. Did break one rear arm mount, but considering that my driving was a little off today, and the track claimed my Prolite (another front CVA), my Warthog (sheared off the rear arm screws-both of them) and my 10T (both rear hub carriers and a fractured wheel), I'd say I've managed to turn a once-fragile gold pan in to quite the bruiser!

As an aside, this was my first time out with JConcepts Barcodes on the front, and I'm not a fan. I love them on the rear, but Proline Scrubs work much better on the steering end.
It was once fragile?
What's your definition of fragile? That's not how I would describe an aluminum pan Rc10.
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

It was once fragile?
What's your definition of fragile? That's not how I would describe an aluminum pan Rc10.
I'm pretty hard on my kits. I'm a very aggressive driver, and nearly all of them are grossly overpowered. This buggy needs about half the running start an SC10 4x4 on 2S requires to clear the same jump. At our local indoor, if I punch it hard coming out of the corner before the big double they have right now (about 7 feet to the lip of the jump), I will hit 3 feet up on the wall on the off side, 18 feet away.

Spydur23 has seen this thing in action. It is a very fast buggy, and it definitely needed the durability upgrades. I'm currently milling 7075-T6 rear hub carriers, plan to do the front bits as well.

About the only vehicles that hold up reasonably well to my driving in stock form are 1/8 buggies and truggies.

Now, though, this thing is nearly 1/8 scale tough. I'm pretty sure I could do a full-speed, head-on collision with a modern buggy and come out with only cosmetic damage. Once I'm done with the remaining alloy bits, it'll truly be a tank. Still not that heavy, though. It's just 3.96 lbs as is, including 6,000 mAh 3S LiPo.

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

One down, one to go