Did you race bitd, and where is this all going?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

scr8p
Administrator

Re: Did you race bitd, and where is this all going?

Post by scr8p »

Chrominator wrote:What does BITD stand for ?
back in the day

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

Loved Eau Rouge post. He got it down.

I remember racing back in the mid 80’s and 90’s all the time. It was my life, race every weekend and work on my cars everyday after school. Back them we didn’t have a lot of money so I always waited for birthdays to get new tires or Christmas to get my new car or remote (in addition to working selling newspapers). I remember I dominated 2wd and when the RC10T came out I had t get one and dominated that class, always made the A-mains, I was hard core racer with nothing special in my cars only a stock RC10 team and a RC10T.
But one of my passions back then was building and adjusting the cars. I think that is why now I like making custom part (chassis, towers, plates, etc…) and all for the old RC10.
I am sure the only reason I don’t race hard core now is because I have a family with 2 kids, a 2 year old and a 3 year old and I work long hour days (part of life).

But I have a plan. Some of these cars that I have are shelf queens, but not for ever. When one of my kids starts wanting to play more and more with RC I will probable get him the lattes newest car out their B5 or B6 with all the electronic equipment needed (that I still don’t have) and I plan to race again with him with my old RC10 custom and re-live the past years.

I do still love going and watch a good A-main in the local track. Love Racing and love building.
:mrgreen:

JPAE07
Approved Member

Post by JPAE07 »

I never raced bitd. I started out with a frog kit bought from a mall and messed around with it mostly in my front yard or empty parking lots. A friend of mine seeing it got his parents to get him a hornet and we were off. At some point I found a local hobby shop and started noticing some more serious upgrade race parts and race cars. I remember really wanting to upgrade the frogs basic shocks to "You-G" (sp.?) shocks. Eventually I abandoned the idea of upgrading my frog and to building and upgrading an RC10 kit. My birthday came up and one evening my dad and I drove down to the hobbyshop to get the RC10. My lucky night though, a shop customer came in with a freshly built RC10, upgraded with a graphite chassis , polished AE shocks, and parts dyed RIT fushia pink. He appearantly just acquired a BMW and couldn't afford the car plus the payment so we agreed on a price and I got it. I loved taking this car apart and putting it back together. Soon I upgraded the rear suspension with A&L arms, the tranny with a brand new MIP SP1, Losi bellcranks, Andy's front arms, and a Gold Modified Twister motor. When it was finished I remember thinking/saying that the only original parts on the car were the front and rear bulkheads. I ran this car as a buggy, as a on road car by lowering the stance, and back to off-road. I raced it a few times on top of local water reservoir where some races where organized but the few times I flew off the side of the reservoir 3 feet below I broke/mangled enough to abandon racing it there. I remember driving down to the ranch pit stop going to the consistently crowded and packed hobby shop and seeing the organized races. I heard about how competitive the drivers were and that if you made a mistake which made them miss position or crash that they would get pissed. In that way it never appealed to me to race b/c it passed beyond just being for fun.

Beyond those two cars I went through a few others: a Blackfoot, Eliminator 10, Eliminator 12, Optima, and a JRXT with some super leaky shocks. Eventually I lost interest and sold the cars.

I always regretted selling them as I spent so much time and effort learning about them and caring for them. Last October I found this site and I found renewed interest in rebuilding that RC10 I once had. Through looking on ebay I decided the closest I was going to get to the Composite craft graphite I once had was a newer RC10 graphite kit. I built that car but still wasn't satisfied. I have now found the chassis and most of the parts. In looking for the A&L suspension parts to upgrade met Daryl Lane and picked up his "last" fiberglass chassis kit. It was a huge inspiration to meet someone as close to the hobby and with so much influence in the aftermarket parts area bitd. I immediately planned the A&L for its own build. Through more inspiration on this site I have lead myself to a few goal projects such as a FibreLyte Tub, Andy's chassis, and T2 (last AE Aluminum tub) buggy conversion builds. Oh, and I cant forget the dual six-gear tractor pull 10. Mostly these cars are to be additions to the readers rides section and shelfer's when they get built.

I still have a desire to run something.....With some inspiration from seeing the progression and upgrades to Michaels (Seibenelch) car and finding a nice worn Team Car at a lhs recently for $15, I will hopefully have something soon, once I mill the sides down further, add some threaded shocks and a B4 slipper. With all my enthusiasm I recently inspired a friend of mine from 1/8th gas into a slightly worn T3 for a measly $30. We both plan on making an effort to run consistently at local tracks either at Huntington Beach and Clairemont/Pomona.

Chrominator
Approved Member

Post by Chrominator »

scr8p wrote:
back in the day
Thanks scr8p , does that come from all the ''NST'' New school Texting :lol:
Hi my name is Mike and I'm a Chromaholic, my wheels have been chrome free for over a year, thanks to everyone that made fun of them.

The older I get , the faster I was.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Chrominator wrote:
scr8p wrote:
back in the day
Thanks scr8p , does that come from all the ''NST'' New school Texting :lol:
IDK...................... :lol:

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Back in the day...

Daryl Lane
Approved Member

Post by Daryl Lane »

RichieRich wrote:By the way, I do run all my cars. I haven't had time to run some of my newest builds but I will during the summer. I'll try to get some pics of a Tekin conversion hitting jumps and we'll see how that A&L handles. :lol: Any driving tips Daryl?

I'm problably the wrong person to ask - Any time it got lose I give it more JUICE!!!! LOL They use to call me "I need more power Lane" cause I also needed more, I know if I would have had more power I would have made that turn.

Really if the track is loss dirt and bumpy - most of the time more throttle is better - that’s why we won so much... :mrgreen: :twisted:
Drive it like an old Dog Fighter - throw it into the turn and power out.
Old is more FUN

Team A&L know it all - really :)

LINK TO TALK A&L Off topic/Chit Chat http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=31149

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

This has really turned into a fun thread. Keep the replies coming guys. :D

I guess I should answer my own question. I started out with a Tyco Turbo Hopper. Then, my buddy got a Grasshopper. I was blown away with how much better it was than the Tyco. I had to have one. But, then I found the other "real" r/c cars, and decided a Fox would be even better. With that big 540 and oil shocks, I could blow that Grasshopper away. My dad made me collect nickle cans to pay for it! That was a lot of cans! I think it took about 4 months. When I got it, it was totally worth it. When we first tested it out, the mechanical speed control was not set up right, and it shot across the yard and out onto a busy street as soon as we turned it on. Luckily there were no cars coming at the time, or that would have really been a bummer. So, that began my life-long obsession, I think it was 1986, maybe 87. I started bashing around with my buddy, eventually we started racing each other on the streets, and then in the hospital parking lot, using the parking space paint as markers for our "track".

Eventually an R/C club formed in my town. I took the Fox out. It was an indoor oval, on a linoleum floor. The Fox couldn't keep up with the lowered RC10s. I always wanted an RC10, so I started saving again, paper route money this time. At this point, the Jrx2 had just been introduced, and it looked like a huge improvement over the RC10. I got one, lowered it and went oval racing! It was a whole new kind of fun, I loved it. The club upgraded to a carpet floor, and when stadium trucks became popular, we'd convert our carpet oval to an indoor off road track with wooden jumps, and my Jrx2 became a monster truck, I can't remember if I had the JG or the Proline conversion. I really, really liked that. Then, one of our members had some land and built a real-deal off road track on it, where we'd race in the summer. By that time the LXT was on the market, so I converted the old x2 again.

When I went to college I stopped racing. My second year I wanted to buy a good mountain bike to get around on, so I had to sell all my R/C stuff to pay for it. Luckily at the time, the Fox was not worth very much, and it was in pieces, so I couldn't sell it. So, I still have my original car, unrestored sitting on the shelf.

After college I moved out east. First thing I bought after I got a real job was another R/C. This time a 1/8 ofna buggy. It was too big and messy for me though, so I sold it right away. Next I got a Juggernaut 2 because I always wanted a Clod. Then I bought an Tamiya F201 formula 1 car. I found some other people online nearby and we started racing in the parking lots. We eventually started racing touring cars, and later, my all time favorite Tamiya Mini Coopers. I would love to race Mini Coopers again, I had more fun racing those than any other kind of r/c. We even got into some off road, and tanks. Tanks are a blast as well.

When I moved from Jersey City to Brooklyn in late 06, I pretty much stopped racing. I still bash in the park with my Clod sometimes, but mostly just tinker around with stuff now. I'm really looking forward to the vintage nats so I can race again.

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

I raced back in the day '84-'87 but on a small local level. Many of my cars now represent dream builds I had back then. I was barely keeping gas in my 1:1 mustang let alone have enough spare cash for RC parts. I started with a Frog, then wildone FAV and then to a fox before finally getting an RC10.

Where is it all going? I have all kinds of vehicles that I like for one reason or another. What I should do is really rethink my focus. Sell off cars not in that group and be happy.

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

shodog wrote:...What I should do is really rethink my focus. Sell off cars not in that group and be happy.
I am taking on a similar way of thinking regarding all my hobbies. I sold off a bunch of archery stuff including a new Ecellerator. I let my Remington 700 BDL DM go a month ago that I had custom ordered back in 95'ish. Now I am looking at my American Strat and wondering why I bother keeping it. I'm tired of working around or moving stuff around that I "HAVE" to have because it "meant" something to me. I am not a collector. So I am only keeping the stuff I use. That goes for RC especially.
He's an idiot. Comes from upbringing. His parents are probably idiots too.

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Where is this all going?

Ebay :mrgreen:

highwayracer
Approved Member

Post by highwayracer »

I raced back in the day with my jrx pro and optima. My optima was built up with different parts because the design was no longer competetive. My jr only was slightly built up because the design worked well out of the box. I replaced only the weak points of the car using compatible parts from various manfacturers.

I also raced carpet ovals using a losi truck I built and 1/12 scale road courses with my corally sp12.

As for the cars I build/buy...like most, I buy what I couldn't buy back in the day...so I have a few tamiyas, kyoshos and associateds in my collection. I have a small army of yokomos, but I haven't begun building those yet.

The cars I build for selling are sometimes centered around a certain part that I have. I had an MIP trailing arm kit, so I built the car using as much older MIP parts as I could find. Unfortunately, some of my cars sit because I'm waiting for the correct parts to complete the build. I use to only sell on ebay, but that's begining to change.

regards,
highwayracer

MOmo
Approved Member

Post by MOmo »

My friend and I used to "bench race" back in the mid to late 80s. I always wanted an RC, but didn't have the $$ for it. My friend first got a grasshopper and we used to take turns driving it. Later, he upgraded to a Blackfoot, and then an RC10CE.

I had collected RCCA mags for years, and had a laundry list of things i wanted.

On a few occasions i would go by the outdoor offroad track in the area (which was still about 35 mi from my house) and would occasionally see races there, but still never had the $$ to get one. In HS, early 90s, I bought my first RC, T2, and started racing my friends. Nothing serious. just fun. Then I slowly added mroe cars to my stable and started racing at a different track. I was competitive, but the aluminum chassis was losing ground to the Losi. Later on, i added a B3 and began racing buggy. I still have the T2, but its in a rebuild stage.

I stepped away from racing for a few years and slowly started getting back into it. I am fortunate that my local indoor offroad track brought back a vintage class. Im working to try and restore a few of my cars for racing. I still get blown away with how much stuff i remember, but also how mcuh I DON'T know about the vintage. I've grown my vintage collection quite a bit and i want to sell off some of my other items to make more room for vintage.

I Help promote the vintage class at my local track, though the #s have been down, i'll still continue to race it. I have other cars Im wanting to race now, namely my 4wd. I also have a competitive B4 that I want to start racing again. 3 classes is alot, but Vintage def. holds a special place.

I really wish i could race at the nats. It would be great to meet many of you and see the various takes on existing cars. I like seeing those folks who still race vintage cars. Those folks who have more shelf queens, Im in awe. I wish i had the space for more shelf queens, but I think I need a bigger house. Not to mention the discussions I have with the fiance about my "habit".

I'll try and locate some pics of vintage races from around here. I know a few people who have several collectable RC10s and I want to get pics/ acquire them for my own collection.

My collection numbers somewhere in the 30s total. The largest number are my AE cars. I have several RC10 6gears, 2 team cars, a graphite rc10, 2 RPM Rc10s, (1 in pieces, one complete), an RC10T, a T2, B4, 2 GTs (one tub, one blue chassis (the upgrade). Im an AE Addict!

MOmo

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

I started back in the 80's with a Turbo Ultima. I remember when I first got done with it and took it out for a test run how amazed I was to drive a car with oil damped suspension..... (having previously played around with a Hornet) Raced the Ultima mostly in Novice and some Stock classes.

Got a JRX2 shortly after it came out and had a blast running it in stock class in San Diego. Converted it to a "monster" with a JG kit, as this class was the rage back then. I still remember drooling over the JRX Pro conversion sitting on the wall. Never seemed to be able to save enough track bucks to buy it though. It was all I could do to keep good tires and motors in my cars on allowance/ dishwasher money. I never did make enough to jump to the modifies class due to the expensive SCE 7 cell packs and the $80 motors..... We used Pam on the tires out there to keep the dirt from packing up on the rubber....

My family moved to New Mexico, and I ran a little bit there. Seemed always to rain in the summertime on race days. Bought my first RC10 (a CE with bearings, 6 gear trans) there. The track closed down, and my interests dwindled.

Picked up a RC10 Worlds car to run in Tacoma, Wa. They had a nice indoor dirt track at the time. I remember the latest Losi's were tearing up the track back then. I guess the XX's? Did that for a few months before I got shipped out....

Stayed away from the scene until about 2 years ago. Everybody at work was gettting T-Maxxes and I jumped in as soon as I learned AE was making the MGT. It's just gotten worse since then. I now run 1/8 buggy religiously in Nashville, have made a ton of friends in the process.

My vintage collection is getting out of hand, and whenever I go to the track, I try to bring one of the old boys to show off. Some people shake thier heads, some people ask who made that, some people come over and talk about how they raced that same car when they were kids.

I guess my collection is based mainly on my desire for the cars I drooled over in mags when I couldnt afford anything more than the magazine to look at. Some purchases I have made were just because I like the engineering that is involved with the car. Honestly, who do you know raced successfully a Kyosho Triumph? I cant think of many, but a kit car with belt drive trans.... I like.

MOmo
Approved Member

Post by MOmo »

bngiles wrote: Picked up a RC10 Worlds car to run in Tacoma, Wa. They had a nice indoor dirt track at the time. I remember the latest Losi's were tearing up the track back then. I guess the XX's? Did that for a few months before I got shipped out..
Tacoma Indoor Raceway? Its run by Scott Brown, FT driver for AE. I like the track, but the attitude of many of the local drivers frustrates me. Seem to be a bunch of Aletisits. (sp?) Im in OR and have been up there a few times.

bngiles wrote: I guess my collection is based mainly on my desire for the cars I drooled over in mags when I couldnt afford anything more than the magazine to look at.
Thats where I am at in my collecting. Totally feel ya in that respect.

MOmo