Scott Kalitta

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Re: Scott Kalitta

Post by Eau Rouge »

For what it's worth, here's the end of the track in Englishtown (where the accident happened) and you can see the tree line and road outside the track. The second photo shows the entire track and the length of shutdown that the cars have before the traps. At the speed he hit the sand at, he would have gone through the end of ANY drag strip in the country. The final photo is the end of the track at the state-of-the-art facility in Joliet, Illinois (Route 66 Raceway) and the sand trap area. This track is a bit longer in runoff room, but even this track would have stopped that car with a cement retaining wall after the sand and nets.

Englishtown, NJ: Old Bridge Township Raceway

Joliet, IL: Route 66 Raceway

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

mrlexan wrote:I don't know how NHRA cars work, but by the video I assume the start of it was the motor granaded. Is it possible that the motor either knocked him out or took his life, before he even hit wall...... just a thought since the shoot didn't open.
Anything is possible, but it's unlikely that the motor knocked him out, and I would say it almost definitely didn't kill him. I don't know of any cases where that has happened in a fuel car. Almost all of the time the impact of the car hitting a wall or the ground is what does any major damage to drivers. The only other real danger to a fuel driver is fire, but I don't think that was the case with this accident.

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

Eau Rouge wrote:FWIW, there ARE sand traps and catch fences on that track. You can't see them in that video clip of the accident, but they are there, and they aren't as short as you would think. That wall is the only thing between the track and a tree line and public road.

The problem is NOT the design of the track. The problem is that these cars are traveling more than 3 times the speeds that many of these tracks were designed for. The sand traps and catch fences have ALWAYS done their jobs very well in every case of cars hitting them, and most without injuries. The solution is to shorten the tracks for the pro cars that are going that fast. Most drivers will tell you that 1000 feet is plenty, and many would be fine with 1/8th mile, as most damage and destruction happens well after that point. The track layout was not at fault. I've been there, and I've seen the track. That wall was VERY far away from the racing surface.

The media makes that accident sound like he was killed when the car "blew up" but that's a common occurrence at NHRA pro events. Drivers walk away from those types of fires all the time without too much incident. He was killed when the car hit a concrete POST.

It was a horrible, tragic accident. It was one of the most violent and catastrophic I have ever seen in drag racing (and I have been around it since I was in diapers), but these guys ALL know the risks. They do this every weekend, and Scott has been doing it for 25 years. They are all hyper paranoid about safety, right down to packing their own parachutes. If any of the racers there this weekend thought the track was unsafe, they should have stopped it before ever getting into their cars. There is NO BLAME to be put on anyone in this. It happens. It's a VERY dangerous sport. If the racers thought for a minute that the track was not safe in ANY way, NONE OF THEM would have raced in eliminations on Sunday.

Mourn the loss, but don't blame the track, the NHRA or anyone else for the death.

d

Very Well Said!

RC Chick
Approved Member

Post by RC Chick »

Eau Rouge wrote:FWIW, there ARE sand traps and catch fences on that track. You can't see them in that video clip of the accident, but they are there, and they aren't as short as you would think. That wall is the only thing between the track and a tree line and public road.

The problem is NOT the design of the track. The problem is that these cars are traveling more than 3 times the speeds that many of these tracks were designed for. The sand traps and catch fences have ALWAYS done their jobs very well in every case of cars hitting them, and most without injuries. The solution is to shorten the tracks for the pro cars that are going that fast. Most drivers will tell you that 1000 feet is plenty, and many would be fine with 1/8th mile, as most damage and destruction happens well after that point. The track layout was not at fault. I've been there, and I've seen the track. That wall was VERY far away from the racing surface.

The media makes that accident sound like he was killed when the car "blew up" but that's a common occurrence at NHRA pro events. Drivers walk away from those types of fires all the time without too much incident. He was killed when the car hit a concrete POST.

It was a horrible, tragic accident. It was one of the most violent and catastrophic I have ever seen in drag racing (and I have been around it since I was in diapers), but these guys ALL know the risks. They do this every weekend, and Scott has been doing it for 25 years. They are all hyper paranoid about safety, right down to packing their own parachutes. If any of the racers there this weekend thought the track was unsafe, they should have stopped it before ever getting into their cars. There is NO BLAME to be put on anyone in this. It happens. It's a VERY dangerous sport. If the racers thought for a minute that the track was not safe in ANY way, NONE OF THEM would have raced in eliminations on Sunday.

Mourn the loss, but don't blame the track, the NHRA or anyone else for the death.

d
I don't mean to be a nag but You kind of contradicted yourself. You stated the problem was the cars are 3 times too fast for the tracks and then said don't blame the track, NHRA, or anyone else for the death. If the drivers want to go that fast, the NHRA approves the speeds, and people build engines capable of handling those speeds then the damn track should be improved! Shorten them lenghthn them whatever they need to do. I do believe that these drivers know the risks but like all humans we belive "it wont happen to me". We then haev a tragady like this, we all learned something, and now someone will start changing things. Look at John Force after his tragic loss he made a new roll cage designed to protect the driver better and most drivers use his design. When Dale was killed someone came up with the idea of a neck brace better than the one being used, now its being used by drivers today. All Im saying is yes the sport is dangerous but take the precautions or preventative measures before a tragic accident takes place.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

No blame and no contradictions.

The cars are too fast for ALL tracks, not just Englishtown. This isn't anything new. Drivers have known this for a while. Maybe this will prompt some sort of change in the rules and the track layouts, but it probably won't.

I'm saying that anyone blaming this track for this accident, is not right in doing so.

And if Dale had his belts properly fastened, he wouldn't have needed a HANS. It was widely known throughout the NASCAR paddock that he regularly loosened his belts a lot once he was out on track. A HANS system or anything else only works if you are using it and using it correctly.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

I hope this doesn't lead to restrictor plates at the drag races. If you could make such a thing for one of those engines.

It's surprising to me that death and injury in top fuel racing is as rare as it is. At the speeds they travel, the power their machines have, and how quick everything happens (and goes wrong) it really does seem like a very safe sport overall.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

With 8000 horsepower, I donno what they could restrict them to. :shock:

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Sounds like the sport is just going to continue to evolve and evolve to no end......... take em to the Salt Flats.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Eau R.,
Wasn't trying to start a debate there(and still not) but what WAS the reason for his death? If there is a reason at all there is a placement of blame. Some agree as I agree... they all know the risks and they take them. Everyone does every day they get behind the wheel of their own car and drive to the grocery store. As you stated they are too fast for the tracks now. This accident was a tragedy but does it take a death to realize they should've done something different since they knew it could happen?
Todd

p.s. Agree with you on Dale loosening his belts. He voiced it outright whenever asked about it. he was also the biggest name voicing opposing the HANS strap stating it would even restrain your movements more leading to more accidents.
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

wyldbill
Approved Member

Post by wyldbill »

in Dale's case him constantly refusing to wear an enclosed helmet didn't help his situation either. nascar should have made him wear one a long time ago, funny how after he died they finaly make it manditory.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

They didn't figure the cause of death yet did they? Don't these things usually take a couple weeks to sort out?