It's all the Astutes fault.

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

fakiee
Approved Member

Re: It's all the Astutes fault.

Post by fakiee »

AYKBOBCAT wrote:This is a nice thread

I have a question. I've got quite a bit of mad cap parts I was hoping to use one of these days to make myself a home brew buggy. I'd like to make a chassis out of aluminim. I'm missing the diff gear set though. Does Tamiya have a car right now that uses the same diff as the Astute/MadCap?
Astute, king cab and toyota hi lux (monster racer) all used ball diffs. Mad Cap and Saint dragon used bevel gears. Should be easy to get either on the bay , but you will pay a price for the ball diff parts.

Synergy
Approved Member

Post by Synergy »

The original Astute ball diff was a bit of a pain, it suffered quite badly from slip due to warping of the diff case after a very short time. If you decide to run the original trans stick to 27 and 19 single turn motors (shouldn't slip to bad on stock power), if you want to run modifiers you're going to have to run the TTC trans from the Super Astute which comprises slipper and gear diff.

Either option the cheapest way to get hold of one is to buy a full runner donor car, these models don't get parted out very often and putting a trans together from new parts will cost you a fortune if you can find them.

Anyway the resurection of this thread has reminded me I still haven't run this model yet (got to get my finger out :oops: )
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Here's my TC Showroom
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=18028

minichamps11
Approved Member

Post by minichamps11 »

fakiee wrote:Astute, king cab and toyota hi lux (monster racer) all used ball diffs. Mad Cap and Saint dragon used bevel gears. Should be easy to get either on the bay , but you will pay a price for the ball diff parts.
I'm sure the Madcap came with a ball diff, not bevel gears. My friend tried to race one back in the 90's & had to replace the ball diff moulding every week as it melted itself with a 12x2 Reedy motor. I'm sure he raced a standard car as he refused to spend any money on his stuff.....

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

No, it definetly has a gear diff.

AYKBOBCAT
Approved Member

Post by AYKBOBCAT »

I bought one from a friend loooog ago and it had a bll diff but he could have changed it before selling it to me though

minichamps11
Approved Member

Post by minichamps11 »

bngiles wrote:No, it definetly has a gear diff.
Thought I was right - just looked at the Madcap manual (page 4 if you want to check it out) on Tamiyaclub.com and the Madcap definitely has a ball diff.... that or 12 very small round gears :D

y2kgtp
Approved Member

Post by y2kgtp »

I saw a mention early on about having purchased 35 Cars......what else you got lurking around? Or were those all for parts donors?

Synergy
Approved Member

Post by Synergy »

y2kgtp wrote:I saw a mention early on about having purchased 35 Cars......what else you got lurking around? Or were those all for parts donors?
Here's a link to my TC showroom in answer to the question:-

It's a relatively small collection of models, most of them had some part to play in my childhood RC history.
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Here's my TC Showroom

y2kgtp
Approved Member

Post by y2kgtp »

Synergy wrote:
y2kgtp wrote:I saw a mention early on about having purchased 35 Cars......what else you got lurking around? Or were those all for parts donors?
Here's a link to my TC showroom in answer to the question:-

It's a relatively small collection of models, most of them had some part to play in my childhood RC history.
Nice collection. My wife does not want me to relive my entire childhood, so I will pick and choose a few main vehicles :lol: :mrgreen:

top cat mike
Approved Member

Post by top cat mike »

:D Very nicely done Synergy...I have been looking for one of these buggies for a while on and off and after reading ur post I am more determined than ever to find one...excellent pictures to go along w/ the explanations in ur posts

fakiee
Approved Member

Post by fakiee »

fakiee wrote:
AYKBOBCAT wrote:This is a nice thread

I have a question. I've got quite a bit of mad cap parts I was hoping to use one of these days to make myself a home brew buggy. I'd like to make a chassis out of aluminim. I'm missing the diff gear set though. Does Tamiya have a car right now that uses the same diff as the Astute/MadCap?
Astute, king cab and toyota hi lux (monster racer) all used ball diffs. Mad Cap and Saint dragon used bevel gears. Should be easy to get either on the bay , but you will pay a price for the ball diff parts.
EDIT Astute, king cab, toyota hi lux (monster racer), Mad Cap and Saint dragon all used ball diffs. None used bevel. My memory is playing tricks on me!

Sorry for mis-info