RC10GT restoration project

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Re: RC10GT restoration project

Post by justinspeed79 »

Thanks man. :D The GT's have always been my favorite too. 8)

71Charger

Post by 71Charger »

Very nice restoration that is one clean truck.You've seen some of my GT's so you know that I'm a huge fan of the RC10GT just wanted to say great job on your truck.

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

71Charger wrote:Very nice restoration that is one clean truck.You've seen some of my GT's so you know that I'm a huge fan of the RC10GT just wanted to say great job on your truck.
Thanks man. :D

I took this truck apart and have the parts soaking in peroxide now. I'll post some pics when I put it back together. 8)

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

Made a little more progress on this. It has been slower than I like, but I have also been rebuilding an airplane for the past couple of months. I also needed supplies. I picked up a few 4-40 kits, I have nuts, washers, and e-clips coming from McMaster-Carr, I snagged an original fuel tank off ebay, and I also scored a couple white spurs from the forum (Thanks Dhood 8) )(and Klavvy :wink: ), so I am going to put the gear I got from Reggie on this truck. :D

I had the parts soaking in peroxide for about a month and they look almost as good in person as they do in the pics. I started putting it together last night and made a little progress. I am going to work on it some more right now.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

8) had to put my glasses on with all that peroxide whiteness! Lookin great so far. I need to get off this site and do some work on something myself...thanx for the inspiration :wink:
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

Thanks dude. I made some more progress on it last night, but I am going to wait to go any further until I get my order in from MC.

BTW, Pm coming your way,

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

NIP fuel tank. From a kit, apparently. These original ones are hard to find. 8)

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

Made a little more progress. I thought I had NIP outdrive hubs, but I can't find them, so I am stalled on the trans. Weird how just the left hub is completely worn out, but all the other wear items on the truck look like they have never been run. :? I have spent too much $$ on ebay the last couple of weeks, so new outdrives are going to have to wait. I was going to take the gold shocks off another truck for this truck, so I think I will rob the outdrives from that one too. That way I can keep this build going, and when I can afford too blow some more money I will order a few sets of new outdrives.

Also, the outer rod end on the back is supposed to be a captured (shock rod) end. I will change that after i get the trans sorted out. I just put the ball cup on there so it would be together for now.

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

I decided I didn't want to tear my other truck apart for this, so I go the outdrives from ebay. They sent the new style black one's instead of the older natural one's, even though they had the natural ones pictured in the add. figures.... I didn't want to put the black ones on there, so I sanded them down and polished them with a 3000 grit Trizact pad. Since I did the outdrives I figured I should do the bones and axles too, since they were looking kind of dual after the outdrives were done. I have the truck mostly put back together now. I put the correct rod ends on the outer rear tie rods. The tranny is back together and mounted in the truck. I put a brand new white 64t spur gear on it. I put the team shocks back on because I don't have a suitable set of gold shocks at the moment. Eventually I will get some gold shocks for it. No pics yet but I will post some soon.

Jedi Master
Approved Member

Post by Jedi Master »

Dude, those white parts are so bright they must be radioactive!! :lol:

Great build! :)
Do, or do not! There is no 'try'!
RC; Boats, Buggies, Trucks, Bash's, Racing and of course 'VINTAGE'!
My Ebay Feedback: http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=jedimaster768&ftab=AllFeedback

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

I like what I see so far! Sooo white! 8) Is that engine a Dynamite 12PD or just the 12?

I have a unused early GT that I need to do a little resto on later. It has an OS CZZ! I wish I could find a nice looking Yokomo 12 to put in it though!

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

Thanks guys. :D

Rod, that engine is a TNT .12, non-PD. It is the original engine for this truck. However I took it off and gave it to friend to run in his GT. It ran good after a good cleaning. Last I knew it was still going strong. I have been looking for a CZZ, a CZR, and a Yoke .12 forever!. I see lots of used CZZ's and CZR's, but finding a NIB or even a really nice used one is another story. I have a pretty nice CZZ on my Dratrax 10T conversion, but it has the duratrax head and backplate, so it doesn't really do the job as a CZZ display. I have seen a couple of NIB pull-start Yoke's on ebay over the years, but have never seen a non-pull version. The pull-start is a deal breaker for me, I would only use it for my box-art truck, so it has to be non-pull.

klavy69

Post by klavy69 »

justinspeed79 wrote: I have been looking for a CZZ, a CZR, and a Yoke .12 forever!.
I'm thinkin the LHS still has a NIB CZR in the case yet. If interested I could do some more checkin. Would make a nice gt resto motor. If someone is interested drop me a line otherwise it'll still be there when I buy him out :lol: .
A long time ago I asked some questions about the yokomo .12 and .15 I had over at the ANTR board and no one could tell me anything about these motors. The .12 went into something that went to ebay and the .15 went into my first gen. t-maxx I sold last summer...or viceversa.

I think I've been bitten by the nitro bug again seeing your gt resto justinspeed :?

Todd

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

You know you want to burn some nitro, todd. 8)

I haven't found much info on the Yokomo motors. IIRC Templeofspeed knew a little bit about them, but that was years ago, and I don't remember what he said. Is he still around?

klavy69

Post by klavy69 »

justinspeed79 wrote:You know you want to burn some nitro, todd. 8)

I haven't found much info on the Yokomo motors. IIRC Templeofspeed knew a little bit about them, but that was years ago, and I don't remember what he said. Is he still around?
Yeah, I want to but just can't get the motivation to. Templeofspeed shows up now and again but not really sure of how often. Went to the LHS tonight and that CZR is still sitting there...you got my pix yet :P ?
Todd