Ruffy's '93 Worlds car and other vintage items

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Ruffy
Approved Member

Re: 1993 Worlds Car

Post by Ruffy »

Not really, I don't know what happened with Quincy. I hope he's doing fine today and still having fun.

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

I found some more things from the '93 Worlds, and prior to post here.
I also found the new in box, Worlds '93 (early box with Brian on it) with everything in the kit new unassembled; as well as the Worlds Car B2 Kit with Matt Francis car on the box, new in box, unassembled.

My pit towel from the '93 Worlds:

The '93 Worlds Car- Early Edition with Brian on box (bottom). The upper box is a box that AE sent me parts in for comparison, but I turned it right-side out from the way they ship stuff to the Team Drivers. It is the later version box for the same kit.

Here is a vintage wing kit from AE, for the life of me I can't remember what this would go to, or is it an offroad wing like what they used in the early years... anyone know anything about this wing?

Here is another blast from the past, shock absorber balloons with the AE logo!
These things are still good, unbelievable. I guess the dark cool storage helped out.

10 IFMAR Worlds Chamionships- Associated Electrics Banner

7 Times IFMAR Worlds Championships - Reedy Banner

I think either Masaki or Masami gave me this after we ate some sushi together.

RC10WORLD
Approved Member

Post by RC10WORLD »

Awesome stuff Ruffy!

I want all the banners! :mrgreen:

Reedy Pink contrast on gray is just awesome.

Hope to meet you one of those days around Orlando.
RC10WORLD

fastang
Approved Member

Post by fastang »

ooh my!!! Thats something you don't see everyday! Better not let Reg see that. He might come looking for you!!!

That would fetch alot of 000's if you decided to sell!

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

Here is a vintage wing kit from AE, for the life of me I can't remember what this would go to, or is it an offroad wing like what they used in the early years... anyone know anything about this wing?
1/12 on-road wing

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Thank-you.

You nailed it, I just found another one of those wings in my 1/12 scale on-road boxes of AE race items.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Ruffy wrote:I just found last night, the 1st edition AE B2 Buggy assembly manual... there was no real manual, but a small book of photos taken of the car assembled from many different angles, so that the team guys would know how to finish assembling the "partiall assembled" 1st Team kits sent out to us. I still have the picture book and explanation sheets as if they were just sent to us.
This was a nice find. I'll post up pics when I get a chance in this thread.
would these have been before the 2.40 trans? i remember matt francis's b2 from the 95 worlds using the 2.25 trans. cedric has a nice replica of that car too. :)

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

I'll check the info I have on the car I got (the photos and a few write-ups that Gene, Cliff and Roger sent out to us as a manual for building the 1st ones) and I still have that car and the original transmission since it was updated later as you say. I just left the tranny with the motor plate, guard and bottom plate all-together and put in a new everything I believe, when they sent it out. The chassis also changed a bit, since I have a bag labeled "Ruffy Rios B2" from Associated and it has 3 or 4 B2 (or B3) chassis in it with arms and towers loose, etc... and there are some small changes to the chassis I noticed one night; but I'll try and find out more tonight when I get a second.

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

It has been such a long time, so I could not remember but scr8p you nailed it.

The instructions they sent have a section on the transmission that reads:

"The tranny that comes in your B2 is the original Stealth transmission that has been modified to fit into the B2".

That would explain why I have a fully assembled B2 transmission, bottom plate, motor guard and bulkhead by itself, as I would have pulled off the entire 1st prototype unit once the 2.40 transmissions were released to the Team. This is the early tranny, and to confirm it I took a closer look and sure enough it is marked.
So to answer the question, Yes, this is the earliest "manual" and prototype B2 car transmission assembly, along with the final Team B2 car next to it.

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

:shock: awesome Ruffy, make sure to post pics of that bad boy. :D

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

ya post some pics of that bad boy. kenooze will love ya for it! :mrgreen:

i'd have to dig up his francis replica, but i believe he built it with the 2.40 because he wasn't quite sure how to go about the trans brace...... and how it attached it to the bulkhead to install the 2.25.

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

I got a box full of B2 B3 T2 T3 stuff all mixed together , some production some early Team stuff so I am going through it and marking what is B2 production, graphite team, prototype, etc. The early B2 transmission I will post for you in a few min... after I eat dinner, Salmon tonight! BBIAB!

rcracr20
Approved Member

Post by rcracr20 »

Ruffy,

Did you know a Team Driver by the name of Mike Alexander? I believe he was from Texas. I bought him out about 6 or 7 years ago, received a MINT worlds car, with all the arm mounts drilled for set screws so no e-clips were used. He had sent me a ton of Reedy matched batteries, motors, a motor case, an AE pit bag, and a ton of new in package parts that said "Not for Re-Sale" on them, such as a narrowed top shaft, amongst other items.

Matt Olmsted

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Mike Alexander, doesn't ring a bell, but it has been a long time for me.

But yeah the "Not for Resale" stamp started to appear on parts late in the last year I raced before sending Gene a letter of Thank-you & retirement from R/C.

OK let me upload the pics I just took of some of the stuff you guys asked about.

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Right one is the early stealth transmission and plate (notice no square cutout to allow clearance for the larger diff gear).
Left one is an extra B2 (NOT B3 AS I 1ST INDICATED) tranny I have set up for Hydra Drive unit.
These are both B2 transmissions. Right one is pre-production, left is production.

Side view so you can see the upper bracket had a protrusion that fits in a slot on the tranny case, to be retained by the middle screw.

Rear view, notice the standard original motor plate bent and machined by AE for us to accept the new bottom plate.

Misc picture I took compared to some old stealth tranny's. Notice the 1st B2 tranny next to the production B2 tranny. Case, motorplate and gearing internally changed. The two transmissions far right are both stealth, one with another Hydra Drive unit in one of my old car chassis and the other a stock stealth.

Side by side with my B3:

Both B2 transmissions, pre-production (right) and production (left) versions:

Aft end of B2/Stealth early tranny, notice the outer two screw holes they had to drill before sending it out to mate to the old motorplate.